Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Should stinkin foamys be allowed in the same airspace as a high dollar turbine jet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
42.14%
No
37.99%
Who cares
19.87%
Voters: 458. You may not vote on this poll

Should stinkin foamys be allowed in the same airspace as a high dollar turbine jet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 AM
DCM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should stinkin foamys be allowed in the same airspace as a high dollar turbine jet?

Lets hear it.[X(]

David Hudson
Old 03-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts
Default RE: Should stinkin foamys be allowed in the same airspace as a high dollar turbine jet?

Popcorn time!
Old 03-09-2008, 12:05 AM
AMA234
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Should stinkin foamys be allowed in the same airspace as a high dollar turbine jet?

I hate all stupid foamies except for the Parkzone T-28. All others should be melted with a torch or CA.

Les
Old 03-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Ron S

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Ouch... I just saw recent post on the other FL Jets thread. That was a cool looking MiG 29... I'll go vote now! []
Old 03-09-2008, 12:11 AM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good poll David.

I think that we should be required to submit receipts that document the cost of our jets when we register...photo copies acceptable, of course. Then the CD should arrange the flight line so that only like-cost models are in the air together at the same time....... Geez...........Of course the stinkers can fly if they pay the entrance fee.................That's what it is, a RALLY.

I am very cautious about who I fly with at the home field or at the rally. It is MY RESPONSIBILITY for my jet once I pull up to the flight line to fly...period

Tailwinds,

John
Old 03-09-2008, 12:21 AM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

So, let me see if I get this right....one guy has a 200 foamy jet and another guy has a 6000 turbine and some think that the guy with the foamy should be grounded? That attitude would not take you very far at our field.... I fly both and I speak from experience (see picture....)

I know that if someone, regardless of what they are flying, is a problem I just wait them out. Easy.

I know some foamy pilots that are every bit as good if not better than some of the jet boys I have seen, matter of fact I was surprised how many hacks fly turbines...

YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64173.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	898500  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2.4 mhz are a dime a dozen...but a good spotter is hard to find. When I say spotter, I'm talking about one that is watching what everyone else is doing and relaying it back to the pilot he is spotting for at all times.

Funny how one spends mega-bucks on the latest/greatest gadgets to keep his aircraft from crashing, but something as simple as having a spotter is overlooked. Your eyes can't be looking everwhere all the time, and four eyes are better than two.

It's unfortunate this happened, but if both pilots were flying the pattern and no spotters were implemented...you can't really put the blame on either party.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:28 AM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Dave you know what happen to Chris at our field when a Foamy took out his Kingcat, Thank God he got it down, but took out his wing

Dave
Old 03-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Dancobsen

ORIGINAL: DCM

Lets hear it.[X(]

David Hudson
Do you think foamies should not be allowed to fly when you're flying your jet?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:36 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I think only good smelling foamies should be allowed to fly with expensive jets.[8D]
Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 AM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Actually I don't know what happened. Good thing to get it down. However, was the foamy operating outside the rules or flying in a way not to respect the pattern? If so I would say you have more of a problem with the pilot than the foamy and I would be thankful that he was flying a foam airplane and not something built up and heavier or you could have kissed that cat goodbye! If the foamy was respecting the flight pattern then I would say that the jet should have either given way or landed due to traffic.

At the field I fly, a public field, we have all kinds. One of my good flying buddies is a great pilot and likes to fly fast and low (he has racing in his blood). He has several foam jets and he is never an issue. On the other end of the spectrum (no pun intended), we have a boat load of bone heads. When they are up, I (we) are down...that simple.

As someone said above, find a good spotter, use him or her often, buy them lunch, and keep them happy as they might just save you a very expensive aircraft.

Again, these are just my opinions.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:47 AM
KC36330

I'm sure the guy who can only afford a 200 dollar jet is just as heart broken that his jet was destroyed as the guy who spent XXX grand and couldn't come up with 60 more bucks for a few FOD screens.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:49 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Wasn't there just a midair between a foamy Eflite airliner and a Kingcat in California not long ago?

It's all opinion of course, but personally, I feel that a foamy jet at a "jet rally" is out of place. Not because of $$$ or anything, but just because of the speed difference. That's not to say a turbine jet can't be flown slowly, but it's less likely. A lot of turbine jets have a higher landing speed than the top speed of a foamy jet. That to me is where the potential issue lies.

But as I say, it's just my opinion. 2 turbines taken out by foamies in less than a years time, that tells me it is an issue at a jet rally.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Bad_Daddy

Yeah, I think it's high time you stinking turbine jet fliers learned how to control those overpriced and overpowered monsters, and took the financial responsibility for your barely-guided missiles! [:@]
Old 03-09-2008, 01:17 AM
SinCityJets

I am like F-18DB, we fly at the same field. We fly at a public field and have many people to contend with and share airspace with. For weekend flying, we don't have a choice....if we want to fly, we have to pick the "right" times. Fortunately, most of the people at our airfield have good "manners" and most won't fly with turbines in the air. For those that do, a good spotter will definitely come in handy. When all else fails, land.

I have to go with Dave on this one though, just because you fly a turbine, doesn't mean your a good stick....heck, look at me!

As far as a jet rally, the CD can decide which aircraft are allowed.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:01 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

What about stinkin foamies powered by a high dollar turbine? - John.
Attached Images   
Old 03-09-2008, 02:48 AM
bbagle1

Was this a serious poll? Does someone actually think that putting more money into your plane gives you the right to own the sky? Chances are if there is a mid air between a foamie and a turbine both flying the pattern the turbine is at fault. Chances are he came up on the foamie and did not avoid him. I think if this is such a problem, maybe the turbines should not be allowed to fly with other aircraft. I wonder where the mindset of calling jet fliers "snobs" comes from. Give me a break.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:51 AM
swissflyer

it can be a long debate...

personally i think the best solution, is, fly alone! here we do it at our meetings, but the pilot attendance is way smaller than in USA, so is possible...

otherwise, where more pilots fly sametime, to let only fly same category of plane at the same time..

high speed with high speed, foamies with foamies, to reduce the overtaking process, or whatever..and the spotters are very important , announcing what is pilot is going to do, if somthing outside the pattern..

everybody must have the right to fly..but should ba taking care to reduce incompatible flying styles sametime in the air

only my 2 swiss francs cents

i feel incredibly sorry for the MIG...[:@][]
Old 03-09-2008, 03:02 AM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

ORIGINAL: bbagle1

Does someone actually think that putting more money into your plane gives you the right to own the sky? Chances are if there is a mid air between a foamie and a turbine both flying the pattern the turbine is at fault. Chances are he came up on the foamie and did not avoid him.
I'm guessing that bbagle1 has no turbine flying experience....

I'm hoping David was joking when he posted this poll. Everyone has a right to fly, and aircraft cost has no bearing on that "right". But as has been mentioned already there are significant challenges when mixing models of greatly differing performance. This is why a good, experienced spotter is, IMHO, a critical requirement when flying in these circumstances.

In my case, I try to be considerate and avoid 'hogging' all the airspace, and usually fly in the afternoon when my club field is less crowded. At the same time, there ARE always some boneheads that fly in unpredictable ways that make it almost impossible to "see and avoid" when you are moving at 160+ and they are at 35 and all over the place. [:@] The foamie jocks (and I have a couple myself) are just as responsible for avoiding a conflict as the turbine fliers.

I feel for the Mig pilot at FJ2008, but since I was not there and am not up on all the facts, I'm not going to comment.

Barry
Old 03-09-2008, 03:21 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't fly my cheap planes with any expensive planes, well that is as long as they do not take off while I am flying, then expect me to come down immediately...

Just plain common courtesy...
Old 03-09-2008, 04:48 AM
highhorse

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

I think it's arrogant, irresponsble, and a blight on the jet community that this poll even exists !! "Stinkin' foamie" ??? Why stop there ! How about "effing Prop jobs" too? That way we can P-O just about everyone... Or how does "Should the poor people be allowed to fly with us" grab you?

As far as I can tell this ridiculous poll was concieved as a result of the foamie-jet midair ay FJ. A post there bemoaned the fact that the high $$ jet was taken out by a "cheap foamie". AS IF it would somehow be less of a loss for the jet guy if he'd been taken out by another jet !! Dumb, dumb, dumb.

David, if you were trying to be funny, you missed. I beg you to pull this poll before you shame the turbine community any more than you already have. Please.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:06 AM
TREADSTONE

ORIGINAL: highhorse

I think it's arrogant, irresponsble, and a blight on the jet community that this poll even exists !! "Stinkin' foamie" ??? Why stop there ! How about "effing Prop jobs" too? That way we can P-O just about everyone... Or how does "Should the poor people be allowed to fly with us" grab you?

As far as I can tell this ridiculous poll was concieved as a result of the foamie-jet midair ay FJ. A post there bemoaned the fact that the high $$ jet was taken out by a "cheap foamie". AS IF it would somehow be less of a loss for the jet guy if he'd been taken out by another jet !! Dumb, dumb, dumb.

David, if you were trying to be funny, you missed. I beg you to pull this poll before you shame the turbine community any more than you already have. Please.
Totally agree with this...

Shamefull... How do you think the the owner of the ducted fan model feels...?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:41 AM
DCM
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

What about stinkin foamies powered by a high dollar turbine? - John.

Good one Boom,

I personally don’t own a foam ducted fan airplane, but occasionally I get to fly one and I have a lot of fun doing it. Smallish light models tend to fly closer in and more centered over the runway with less of a pattern than their bigger bothers do. I voted no on this poll but I’m not sure that is right. I think, as been stated spotters help in keeping this from happening. The field I fly at most the time there is a mixed bag of models flying together and it's not a problem.
Owning the sky because my jet cost more…….not this guy.
I really feel bad for the two guys at FJ. I’m thankful this stuff doesn’t happen a lot.

David

Old 03-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Foamys were being flown regularly in FL jets... If anybody had an issue with them, there was plenty of time to prohibit it.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:37 AM
PeterDays

Good thing the jet was not taking out by a small bird or we would be lobbying to anihilate those pesky little critters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.