Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM Electra ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM Electra ARF

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:02 PM
MF Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BVM Electra ARF

Did anyone see the new Electra at FJ?
Is it going to be a baby turbine model as well-I have a little turbine looking for a home.
What weight do Electra's come out at, I've not seen one in England although I think I read Dave Wiltshire has one.

Matt
The following users liked this post:
rcsnowboarder (08-09-2023)
Old 03-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts
Default RE: BVM Electra ARF

Matt

I do have one, it’s ready to paint now but it’s for the EVF.
I know two other people wondering about turbining one,it’s where the Savex came from! And my Spark Turbine!
I guess a P60 would be nice

Dave Wilshere
Old 03-11-2008, 02:22 PM
MF Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah Dave, thanks so it will be ready soon?
Any idea of weight? They say 12lb electric

Matt
Old 03-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Dave Wilshere

Matt

I guess a month, depends whether I end up painting it!

No idea yet, but quite light

Dave
Old 03-11-2008, 02:37 PM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since got the VioFan from the auction. I call Bob this morning get myself Electra ARF's. I got one coming very soon. Hope can finish for CA Jets.
I plan to have my with multi power plant and made custom brakes for the wheels. Where I'm flying is very short runway and can't afford for go out the end runway.
The best about this Electra ARF's is the size. I can have it one pieces in back of my truck. Now we had more day light and I can go for few flights after work.
We also start sell BV Electra ARF's. We will update more information in few days and taking order.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Chris True
My Feedback: (14)

A standard Electra with a 10S pack is 13 - 14 pounds depending on Rx pack size, paint weight etc. 13 is a pretty good trick, most will be 13.5 + or - an ounce or two I think. The ARF may be lighter or heavier, no idea.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:38 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

JT Hobbies has one in Fort Worth.

pretty nice looking bird. should get to see her fly soon if Joey hasn't already taken her out since returning from Florida Jets.

nice and light with a good finish.

cheers
buck
Old 03-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Dave Wilshere

I spoke with Bob tonight and he said 14lb for a painted kit Electra

I’ll start the fit out on mine soon and see what we end up with.

Dave Wilshere
Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 PM
JTs Hobby
My Feedback: (15)

I flew the new ARF Electra today and I was very impressed with it's performance, it was like flying a mini Bandit very fun. I built it in about week and half, I beleive BV has the new instruction manual complete for the ARF, I had a rough copy but still found it easy to build. I didn't know what to expect from a electric powered jet but was very happy with the product and will definantly keep it and have some fun with it. Joey Tamez
Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 PM
yeahbaby

good to hear bro' I'm looking forward to seeing it get up and go.

c'ya
Old 03-12-2008, 01:10 AM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Video please ASAP
Old 03-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Matt

Dave Wilshere
The Bandit ARF flys very fast with a P60. Wondering if a P60 is too much for the airframe? May be a smaller turbine than the 60 and less fuel to keep it light? Don't know, just thinking out loud!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:51 PM
kirkj
My Feedback: (61)

do you know if this Electra ARF is a composite style construction, painted in the mold like the bobcat / kingcat? with flex hinges?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes it is Kirk. They are very well done, light glass work and high quality paint work too.
Bob

ORIGINAL: kirkj

do you know if this Electra ARF is a composite style construction, painted in the mold like the bobcat / kingcat? with flex hinges?
Old 03-12-2008, 02:31 PM
yeahbaby

I was thinking the same thing amigo and think a Wren 44 would be just right.

ORIGINAL: Ehab

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Matt

Dave Wilshere
The Bandit ARF flys very fast with a P60. Wondering if a P60 is too much for the airframe? May be a smaller turbine than the 60 and less fuel to keep it light? Don't know, just thinking out loud!
Old 03-12-2008, 02:40 PM
The boys Back

Ali Flew his BVM Built Electra ARF at Florida Jets and was very impressed! he also picked up his ready built Electra for P60 power.

The Electra is not much smaller than a Bandit but a fair bit more slippery. i think it would be ideal with a P60

Dave
Old 03-12-2008, 03:16 PM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: The boys Back

Ali Flew his BVM Built Electra ARF at Florida Jets and was very impressed! he also picked up his ready built Electra for P60 power.

The Electra is not much smaller than a Bandit but a fair bit more slippery. i think it would be ideal with a P60

Dave
Dave,

I just got off the phone with Ali. You guys make it back O.K.
My Electra should be here next week. I'll built it in the way that can easy swap turbine or EDF matter just hours. This airframe should be hot seller either EDF or P-60 power plant.
I thinks I had some sadder tanks in the shop will work with it. It got the hot bandit looks. But made it for Tam size airplane.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:28 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

I was one of the first in the U.S. to build and fly the Electra kit. Mine wieghed 14 pounds ready to fly with batteries, real air operated aluminum retracts and dura struts. I did not use the EVF fan but rather opted for (in my opinion) a better fan made from carbon fiber. My electra was shown in the Whistling Watts section of RCJI a couple of months ago and was used in the Detailing and Weathering article I wrote that was in the last issue of RCJI. My electra was the first to approach 200 mph in straight and level flying and surpass 230 mph in dive like the BV team does when they are performing demo flights.

I haven't seen the ARF so I can't say if it would be in the same weight range.

For any naysayers that don't think electrics can approach the same speeds as turbines, here's a video link of a speed pass: [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747240]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747240[/link]

Tam, are you going to put the DS-94 in yours?

Kirk
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37781.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	901755  
Old 03-12-2008, 03:58 PM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

I was one of the first in the U.S. to build and fly the Electra kit. Mine wieghed 14 pounds ready to fly with batteries, real air operated aluminum retracts and dura struts. I did not use the EVF fan but rather opted for (in my opinion) a better fan made from carbon fiber. My electra was shown in the Whistling Watts section of RCJI a couple of months ago and was used in the Detailing and Weathering article I wrote that was in the last issue of RCJI. My electra was the first to approach 200 mph in straight and level flying and surpass 230 mph in dive like the BV team does when they are performing demo flights.

For any naysayers that don't think electrics can approach the same speeds as turbines, here's a video link of a speed pass: [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747240]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747240[/link]

Kirk
Kirk,
Too many choices and too many Lipo can't use in the Electra....[:@]
Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 PM
yeahbaby

Aloha Kirk

do you think, as one of the first operational electra drivers out there, that a reasonable amount of fuel (60-80oz) could be safely carried/installed into the electra?

i.e. do you think a full bypass system for a P60 (my preference is for a Wren 44) could be reasonably installed into the electra.

Kirk
Old 03-12-2008, 10:23 PM
JSF-TC

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey Buck,

You only need 32-48oz of fuel for the 44.

My Savex L-39 that I fly carries 32oz of fuel, and I have the timer set for 7mins, and that still gives me probably 2mins of fuel reserves, plus my 2oz feed tank. With 80oz you'd fly all day......

See you at the lake soon (once my 44 gets back from a checkup at Wren)

Paul
Old 03-12-2008, 10:38 PM
yeahbaby

Paul

thanks for the info. I couldn't remember how much you were using in the 39 and was hoping you would cruise through this thread.

32oz would be tremendously easy to install into the Electra. assuming you didn't want to fabricate special fuel tanks etc...... a pair of DF saddle tanks and a 10oz hopper would give the 32oz. with ease.

we'll have to see what Tam comes up with regarding a plug-n-play system for Turbine / Electric. could be a viable project for someone whose flying field is limited by seasonal fire hazards (ahem....Miramar)

good field, dudes and fun
Old 03-12-2008, 10:47 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi guys,

A couple of years ago BV talked about making a swap kit to convert the Electra back and forth from electric to turbine for a P-60 (tanks, bypass, thrust tube, etc). Was there anything shown at FL along those lines?

Seems like a big plane for a 44, a friend has a savex and it is a rocket with a 44 but it strikes me as being maybe 1/2 the size of the electra, who knows.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:32 AM
Dave Wilshere

Mr M

I know uncle Bob has looked at it as possible.

I agree that the Electra is big for the 44, but it would fly very nicely with the Gold 44...no speed machine but nice all the same.

Dave W
Old 03-13-2008, 12:39 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

Aloha Kirk

do you think, as one of the first operational electra drivers out there, that a reasonable amount of fuel (60-80oz) could be safely carried/installed into the electra?

i.e. do you think a full bypass system for a P60 (my preference is for a Wren 44) could be reasonably installed into the electra.

Kirk
It looks like it can be done. The Jet-Tech tanks (60 oz) for the Maverick will most likely fit. The width of the Maverick fuse and the width of the Electra fuse are about the same (this is an eyeball measurement and not an actual measurement).

If the Electra ARF fuse is the same as the Electra kit fuse then some re-enforcement may need to be added for turbine use. The kit fuse has kevlar in the nose. The nose also has some carbon fiber in the nose gear area and there's carbon fiber where the fan mount former gets glued. That's it (see photos). Also, the retracts for the kit sold by BV are not aluminum. From photos I've seen, they look like they are made from the same material as the flex plates and they are operated with two servos (one for the mains and one for the nose). The struts are wire and the recommended wheels are Dubro foam wheels (no brakes). One of the photos below shows the retracts, struts, and wheels I used.

Kirk
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68459.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	902413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70815.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	902414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20991.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	902415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99848.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	902416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yk66644.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	902417  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.