Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine fuel in Louisiana???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine fuel in Louisiana???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Dude269
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine fuel in Louisiana???

I'm having a hard time finding low cost fuel(under $6.40) a gallon here in south Louisiana. Where can I go locally to buy fuel. I live about 20 minutes from New Orleans. MSY will not sell me fuel at all.
Thanks
Dude
Old 03-29-2008, 01:50 PM
getmorc
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Turbine fuel in Louisiana???

Ya. The price of fuel is going up. It is 5$ a gallon here. To bad you don"t live closer, I have drums of the stuff
to get rid of and I am giving it away free. good luck. how much is kero there. Bill
Old 03-29-2008, 02:03 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Dude,

What fuel do you use? I used to use Jet-A, but I started using K-1 kerosene from the local Sheetz gas station a few years back and it works great. The turbines are happy, its much easier to get, less expensive, and smells (slightly) better...

I buy turbine oil by the case from oil-store.com...

Bob
Old 03-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Dude269

The nearest hardware store sells it for 6.40 tax included. I asked why so much, she said that it was AAA rated. Oh well. Johnny Woods told me to drive to my local gas station to get some. I laughed for a good while, they use it for heating oil in Tenn. I told him that it gets cold maybe 3 times a year where I live. Jet A is less than $4.00 a gallon but they won't sell it to me unless I have a tail number. Anyone out there have a tail number that I can borrow

I've been using the Kero from Lowe's. Almost 8.00 a gallon. That's no lasting too long

I guess the anticorrosive components in JET A aren't that benefitial to these little guys if everyone uses Kero?

Thanks
Dude
Old 03-29-2008, 02:37 PM
getmorc

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Dude,

What fuel do you use? I used to use Jet-A, but I started using K-1 kerosene from the local Sheetz gas station a few years back and it works great. The turbines are happy, its much easier to get, less expensive, and smells (slightly) better...

I buy turbine oil by the case from oil-store.com...

Bob
I have around ten 55 gallon drums of jet A. I have givin 2 drums away to the ocala boys.
Just give them any N number or try this one N 555RW that is one of are Turbo prop jobs.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Dude269

GETMORC I was thinking that I could pick some up from you on our yearly trip to Perdido Key but now I see that you live on the other side of the world(East Florida) Ha Ha
Dude
Old 03-29-2008, 02:52 PM
getmorc

ORIGINAL: Dude269

GETMORC I was thinking that I could pick some up from you on our yearly trip to Perdido Key but now I see that you live on the other side of the world(East Florida) Ha Ha
Dude
I'm only one and half hour from I 75 dude.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:07 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They won't sell it to you without a tail number? How retarded is that? I've never heard of that before. You should be able to by it. It is not listed as a special hazardous fuel that requires a license. I would go talk to the manager of the place. Your getting the run around.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:16 PM
getmorc

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

They won't sell it to you without a tail number? How retarded is that? I've never heard of that before. You should be able to by it. It is not listed as a special hazardous fuel that requires a license. I would go talk to the manager of the place. Your getting the run around.
It happens at my airport. It's all about the paper trail. I can't even drive my pro steet car overthere and get
110 OCT I have to get it by the 5 gallon can only, pore it in and get some more. stupped if you ask me
Old 03-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Dude269

The managers are the ones that are scared, The people that answer the phones always say sure come on down, then they say, let me pass this by my manager, then comes, you guessed it. sorry sir, we can't help you. I think the tail number may actually be about road tax, I heard that you can burn Jet A in a diesel with the right additives. You quess is as good as mine. I may have a potential supplier at a small airport up the road.
Dude
Old 03-29-2008, 03:58 PM
getmorc

ORIGINAL: Dude269

The managers are the ones that are scared, The people that answer the phones always say sure come on down, then they say, let me pass this by my manager, then comes, you guessed it. sorry sir, we can't help you. I think the tail number may actually be about road tax, I heard that you can burn Jet A in a diesel with the right additives. You quess is as good as mine. I may have a potential supplier at a small airport up the road.
Dude
Dude good luck. If you are ever by my way I can hook you up goooood with jet A.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:34 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: getmorc

Dude good luck. If you are ever by my way I can hook you up goooood with jet A.
Sump fuel?
Old 03-30-2008, 01:29 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I now buy my fuel from Sheetz like alot of us do up north. When i went to the local airport to get Jet A, before i switched to K-1, the airport manager would not sell me the Jet-A with out tail number. but i asked him to come out to my vehicle, showed the man in charge why i needed the Jet-A, I fired it up for him. he then turned to me and said will I be paying with cash or charge.

Mark
Old 03-30-2008, 05:09 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the tail number may actually be about road tax,
Different side of the world here but the same issues. I had to sign a declaration to say I would not be using aviation fuel for use in a vehicle used on public roads. Like Mark says once they know it's for a model turbine it seems less of a problem. - John.