Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Some basic oil info for Wren users

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Some basic oil info for Wren users

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some basic oil info for Wren users

Having received several calls concerning oil types and ratios, I emailed Mike Murphy at Wren...

Oils.
The recommendation is any turbine oil which will mix and importantly"stay mixed" with the fuel. If mixed with fuel and left in a jar for a few days it settles out, then it is not suitable. Turbine oils such as Aeroshell 500, 510 and 550, Mobile Jet-Oil and Exxon 2380 are allexcellent.

Alternatively, if turbine oil cannot be obtained, then high performance 2-cycle oils such as Castrol TT are suitable if tested with the jam jar method first, but we do find increased deposits on the combustion chamber and stickier bearings with 2-cycle oils, so choose carefully. I have used Castrol TT previously and found this good- it's also red in colour...which helps in seeing when it is mixed, but still leaves a bit of goo on the bearings, which can make the first starts of the day sluggish.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mike
Old 05-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Wren Turbines USA

Default RE: Some basic oil info

Fuel to oil ratios for the Wrens is 19.5 ounces of oil to 5 gallons of kero....with one exception...the new 44 Turbo Prop uses 1 quart to 5 gallons...due to the gearbox being lubricated by the fuel system.

So...the Wrens can run very well at a higher oil content, but some buildup will occur in the combustion chamber.

cheers,
Old 05-08-2008, 08:08 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ron

I have been using 2380 turbine oil in my Wrens since 2002. It has been working fine. Initially, I ran my MkII on a 5% mix (32 oz per 5 gal) with no ill effects. When I got the Super Sport, Wren urged me to stick with the 3% mix (20 oz per 5 gal). I bought the oil from Theoilstore.com. I have a 32 oz Nalgene® container with a mark at 20 oz. I open a quart of oil, measure it into the container then pour it into the Jet-A. Then I empty the rest of the quart into the Nalgene container. For the next round you need another container for the excess. I just recently bought a pail of the new DTE oil and I am going to give it a try. I like the fact that I can pour the correct amount out for the mix using a pump into the container.

Tailwinds,

John
Old 05-08-2008, 08:55 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

Ron

I have been using 2380 turbine oil in my Wrens since 2002. It has been working fine. Initially, I ran my MkII on a 5% mix (32 oz per 5 gal) with no ill effects. When I got the Super Sport, Wren urged me to stick with the 3% mix (20 oz per 5 gal). I bought the oil from Theoilstore.com. I have a 32 oz Nalgene® container with a mark at 20 oz. I open a quart of oil, measure it into the container then pour it into the Jet-A. Then I empty the rest of the quart into the Nalgene container. For the next round you need another container for the excess. I just recently bought a pail of the new DTE oil and I am going to give it a try. I like the fact that I can pour the correct amount out for the mix using a pump into the container.

Tailwinds,

John
John,
Why not just mix 16oz into 4 gallons instead of 20oz into 5 gallons? You can take 2pcs 16oz Nalgene bottles and use up 1 qt of oil? "Works for me!" Easier to lug around too!

Dave
Old 05-08-2008, 11:04 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Uh.........I have a five gallon container and I want to minimize the trips to the local aerodrome to buy Jet-A. It is a lot less messy to divide and pour a little oil in than trying to partition the Jet-A while it is dribbling it on my sneaker........I promise that your fuel jug will be full next year!

Tailwinds,

John
Old 05-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Some basic oil info for Wren users

I have used Castrol TT previously and found this good- it's also red in colour...which helps in seeing when it is mixed, but still leaves a bit of goo on the bearings, which can make the first starts of the day sluggish.
I had the same problem with the Castrol TTS oil recomended in my Wren instructions. I swapped to Mobil Jet Oil 2 despite the supposed health risks & no problems.

I'm now on Mobil DTE light oil. The only negative I can see with this oil is that it is clear in colour making fuel levels harder to see. The good points? It's supposed to lack the nasty chemicals of jet oil, it seems to slip through my filter funnel easier when I mix fuel & does not leave any yellow, waxy residue to clog the filter & it's 1/5 the price of aircraft turbine oil in Oz. - John.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:18 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

Uh.........I have a five gallon container and I want to minimize the trips to the local aerodrome to buy Jet-A. It is a lot less messy to divide and pour a little oil in than trying to partition the Jet-A while it is dribbling it on my sneaker........I promise that your fuel jug will be full next year!

Tailwinds,

John
Uh....I forgot my MW44 uses a sippy straw to the fuel tank and 5 gals vs 4 gals isn't an inconvenience at all. When was the last time you used 4 gals in one outing? It takes me almost 18 flights to do it! :-)). Kerosene can get pretty expensive before I say "ouch"
Hope all is well with you and the gang? Might get to 60 degrees today!

Dave
Old 05-09-2008, 07:29 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

..........When was the last time you used 4 gals in one outing?
i average 1g per flight and on a good day upward of 10 flights and it's usualy fuel that stops me then. it's not everyone who has a 44 sized turbine out there
Old 05-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Wren Turbines USA

Another alternative is the use of a quality 2 stroke outboard marine oil. These are safe for the environment as well as humans ...as long as oil used will pass the "jar test"[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 AM
GrayUK

I have been using the Castrol TT oil for a long time now, works very well and i can pop into Halfords for it!

Paul
Old 05-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

I have been using DTE Light Oil at 3% for my SS.......no problems, now with about (50) 10 minute flights on my BCARF........

Got it from Drillspot.com.......87.41 for a 5 gallon pail, and 27.52 shipping......so about 5.75/qt......

It's actually a 10W Hydraulic Oil with no organophosphates.......
Old 05-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Wren Turbines USA

One thing to remember when using the marine type oils....it is possible to plug the fuel ring due to the buildup...............especially in the smaller 44, due to the stickiness of the oil (which coats the parts of the marine engine to protect from water and salt).