Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

VELOX CG

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

VELOX CG

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:18 PM
maverick101
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VELOX CG

This is for anyone who is flying the smaller velox....What is the correct cg measurement for this plane....and how much down-thrust on the motor if any?

I test flew a friends velox today, set-up as per factory recommended throws and cg, and the plane was on the tail-heavy side! Almost to the point of being totally uncontrolable....I managed to get the plane down with minor damage!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Tommy

Old 05-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: VELOX CG

There are a few reports (and manual) that state that the CG is on the anti-rotation pins of the wings. Some actually say this is slightly too nose heavy. DId you confirm the CG was at this point before flying it or did you take the builder's word for it? How did he balance it? Gear down/gear up, etc?

Dan
Old 05-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

I test flew a friends a few months ago. CG is on the front anti rotation pins as I recall. No down thrust, bolted the Mercury flat. It has flown flawlessly.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:20 PM
pbusa1400

I went right on the anti-rotation pin with 0 down thrust
Old 05-11-2008, 02:37 AM
CJ2002

Tommy,

I raised the front end of my AMT (NL) Mercury HP by about 5mm (don't know what that translates to in degrees), and the CG & control set-up I have settled on is:

CG - 5mm aft of the C/L of the wing anti-rotation pin
Aileron movement - 14mm each way (measured at the tip - no expo...gives the very soft aileron I like)
Elevator Movement - 30mm each way (12% expo)
Rudder movement - 25mm each way (measured at the top - no expo)
Flap travel (measured at outb'd flap/inb'd aileron position):

Take-off: 20mm with 9mm up elevator trim mixed in
Full-flap: 35mm with 11mm elevator trim mixed in

(so that means there's 20mm up elevator trim required with full flap travel)

I reduced the length of the noseleg by 5/8" (which stiffened the spring somewhat) to give the model a better sit on the ground, and to help reduce the onset of bouncing on landing.

It's a great model to fly.

Rgds,

Dick
England

Old 05-11-2008, 05:52 AM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Maverick, Can you please check where the "CG" was on your friends Velox? I will be taking my Velox up on it's maiden next week. My CG is on the anti ratation pin with a bit of nose heavy. We had a Velox crash at our field, as he took off it looked as thou he was VERY tail heavy. As far as where he CG was, I don't no. There wasn't much left. If you could please check on your friends jet and let us no where his CG is, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Hoss
Old 05-11-2008, 09:03 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A friend test flew his Velox yesterday. We checked the balance on the anti-rotation pins before taking off. It flew like it might have been a tad nose heavy but flew quite well.

Joe
Old 05-11-2008, 10:36 AM
CJ2002

ORIGINAL: Lil Hoss

Maverick, Can you please check where the "CG" was on your friends Velox? I will be taking my Velox up on it's maiden next week. My CG is on the anti ratation pin with a bit of nose heavy. We had a Velox crash at our field, as he took off it looked as thou he was VERY tail heavy. As far as where he CG was, I don't no. There wasn't much left. If you could please check on your friends jet and let us no where his CG is, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Hoss

Hoss,

The Velox has a 'problem' in that it's not difficult to stall the tailplane with a relatively small angle of attack on the wing/fuselage - the fuselage/wing chines must cause separation/turbulence over the tailplane and it stops working, hence a sharp pitch up and no elevator control.

A couple of guys over here have lost their models by allowing this situation to develop on landing (trying to stall it on rather than flying it on). I think it would be just as easy to produce the same symptoms if a Velox was hauled off too sharply on take-off, or maybe if it was going too slow at the time...maybe this is what happened to the model at your field?

By coincidence, at the field yesterday, I stalled my Velox quite high up on purpose, and it did its usual 'cobra' type stall, but instead of letting it pick up speed , I pulled it quite hard to level it out early and it 'cobra'd' again, as expected!

I have over 60 flights on my Velox now and treat it with due respect, keeping the speed up for take-off and flying it on when landing. It's a nice model to fly and the good thing is that you can use its strange stall characteristics to 'feign' a brilliant 'Cobra'!

Cheers,

Dick
England

Old 05-11-2008, 01:09 PM
scaleMan
My Feedback: (92)

Not sure what "Fly it in" means... I guess you mean you grease it in? Not me, I have zero issues landing this plane. Actually this has to be one of the easiest jets to land I've ever flown and lands so slow its just sick! all stock settings, ~21lbs, CG right on the carbon wing pins, Jet Central Falcon... Flys fast and furious! I love it!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71756.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	947371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37753.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	947372