Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Future dog fights on the history ch.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Future dog fights on the history ch.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Future dog fights on the history ch.

I saw this new episode over the weekend. The best line from the show was " there are raptors....and there are targets!! " Also the B1R "gun truck" was awesome.
V..
Old 05-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Future dog fights on the history ch.

there was not much mention of UAVs. All pretty much hypothetical but interesting.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:21 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Vincent

" there are raptors....and there are targets!! "
Caught that too Vin, but i think it was 'Stealth' and not raptors, he was a F-35 test pilot.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Vincent

Yeah...F-22`s i believe
Old 05-12-2008, 04:57 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

What got me was that I saw the F22 pilot (Moga) just hours before doing the Raptor demo at an airshow in Pittsburgh. [8D]
Old 05-12-2008, 05:32 PM
KC36330

Yeah...F-22`s i believe
the simulated videos were, not the guy who said the comment, he was an F-35 test pilot.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Vincent

Yeah...but he was talking about Raptors
Old 05-12-2008, 05:54 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vin
IMO The future dogfights kind of gives the users of the F22's & F35 a false sense of security,with no loses, I can recall when the operators of the F4 in Vietnam had the same impression untill the sh*t hit the fan . Who needs a gun we have smart weapons, Ha ! all I know is real world results, If one develops a super whammy, some one will develop a super whammy counter measure.
The drawing rendition of the B1R(Vee tail) are again just that, just something that the US manufacture of the B1 is hoping to convince our congress to pay for.
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 05-12-2008, 05:57 PM
KC36330

i didn't say otherwise, just that when he made the comment it was 'there are stealth and targets' not 'There are raptors........ but it's unimportant at this point.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Vincent

Hi Joe,
My question is who are we going to be using this tech stuff against ?? Our F-15`s and 16`s should be good for years to come.

V..
Old 05-12-2008, 07:00 PM
uncljoe

Hi Joe,
My question is who are we going to be using this tech stuff against ?? Our F-15`s and 16`s should be good for years to come.

V..
V..
I guess those who have the fuel to run them........
SF
Old 05-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Gordito Volador
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Uncle Joe x 2.

Regards, Bill
Old 05-13-2008, 11:31 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

To be honest, I can´t imagine a classic dogfight in the future.. IMO the piloted fighter will became obsolete with the UCAV´s, as they can be flown into maneuvers that would kill any living thing inside it. (not to mention that they will be cheaper to be mass produced and maintained, giving then a decisive numerical advantage)

And looking a bit more forward, even the UCAV´s will turn obsolete and slowly turn into no more than better flying cruise missiles, when stuff like this became more developed and efficient.

Enrique
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68466.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	948618  
Old 05-13-2008, 09:47 PM
balsa4cat
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real problem of the Military/History channels "Dog Fights" is that it only deals with American and Isreali Aces. There are over two hundred German Aces who had over 200 kills, even one who had 352 kills (Eric Hauptan).
Pilot quality is interesting especially when dealing with situations not taugh. Did you realize the the AVG Flying Tigers did not follow the standard fighter tactics taugh in U.S. fighter schools ?
Their kill ration dropped when the U. S. Military took over their operations.
Meanwhile the U.S. Air Force has announced it is dropping ACM Red Flag training. So our fighter pilots must suffer the idioscy of top brass, again.
Apparently our 'wise' military leader never heard of 'quantity has a quality of its own' that our future enemies adopted.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:50 PM
uncljoe

I believe along with Enrique that in future "Dogfights" will be flown with the pilots hundreds of miles away safely tucked away in a Conex container some where on mother earth. Lets face it It cost BIG Bucks to train and support a human in the cockpit,which has gotten cost prohibited . One can spend in excess of 150 million on one man equiped aircraft and 10 million on one RPV with all the bells and whistles with the pilot safe & sound. IMO the only vehicles that need a pilot are the ones giving Ground support of troops(close air support) when it is needed NOW.

balsa4cat
There have been a few shows which mention the aces of germany ,but remember they lost the war . If you get a chance read the book about the female aces that flew for the USSR. Also during the vietnam war you might find the mention of a Col Toon, downed(13) quite a few of F4's, F105 , etc, but some say he did not exist .

Semper Fi
Joe

Old 05-14-2008, 12:55 AM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

I
balsa4cat
There have been a few shows which mention the aces of germany ,but remember they lost the war .
Semper Fi
Joe
TOOOO Funny Joe! That's a classice uncljoeism! The operation was a success, but the patient died!

Military history has shown, to some extent, that when new technology is introduced, the old and the new are both needed to win....think about it!

Oh, and BTW it was Eric Hartmann "The Blond Knight Of Germany" with 352 kills. He preferred the BF 109G-2. He was never shot down........

Tailwinds,

John
Old 05-14-2008, 07:10 AM
Vincent

I remember one of the shows dealt with German pilots crashing their fighters into the American bombers and then bailing out...crazy.
V..
Old 05-14-2008, 12:13 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I remember one of the showa dealt with German pilots crashing their fighters into the American bombers and then bailing out...crazy.
V..
I once read a Luftwaffe pilot book, (Peter Henn) wich was offered with extra rations and wine to do this ramming bombers missions and he mentioned that only two guys accepted... most of his squadron declined the offer as they seem want to resume their lives after the war. UCAV´s also have the advantage that they can perform ramming or suicide missions in a more "rational" way.

ORIGINAL: : uncljoe

There have been a few shows which mention the aces of germany ,but remember they lost the war .
Semper Fi
Joe
Well said, in fact they had pilots with this incredible number of victories because they where already losing the war, flying missions without rest until they got killed or the war was over.

Enrique