Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

canopy scratches...help!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

canopy scratches...help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:08 AM
nraheja
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default canopy scratches...help!

I have glued in the canopy (Kingcat) and noticed several scratches on both the outside and inside. Fortunately I have not glued in the deck pieces as yet. I guess this happened at the time of getting the excess glue off. I have searched RCU and found posts that recommended using canopy polish like Mcguiars, 3m, mothers, etc….. This is first time I am dealing with scratches (obviously) .I need advice / learn from your experience of dealing with this issue

1. best way to apply polish - Use an applicator pad (foam or microfiber) with hand or a rotary buffing tool?
2. How long does one need to polish to get several fine scratches out? Just need to get a sense of what to expect . the do and don’ts.
3. How much polish should one use – keep it very wet or is it ok to get the polish dry while polishing. Just want to b sure that I don’t land up creating additional scratches
4. Has anybody dealt with removing scratches from the inside of the canopy where it may be very difficult to get a circular motion going?
5. How does one wipe the remaining polish off without creating additional scratches? I am not sure of how to avoid this at the time of wiping the excess polish off
6. I also read about clear coating (after sanding the canopy down) but I guess everyone is doing this before gluing the canopy in. Has anyone clear coated the canopy after it has been glued in. the reason I ask this is because the canopy frame is already painted.
7. Since there are several scratches what would recommend – polishing or attempting to clear coat.
I am paranoid at this moment and want to get this thing over with so I can fly this weekend. Really appreciate any help I can get at this time.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Pitts S1S
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: canopy scratches...help!

Get some flitz metal polish and an old t shirt. Put a dap on the T shirt and have at it using you finger. Wipe off the area with a clean section and see if you need to polish some more. Repeat as needed.

Jeff
Old 05-14-2008, 12:32 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On Formula One pylon ships we painted entire plane and sanded the canopy (externally) after the cockpit detail and canopy was glued on. You could not see through it at that point. Final step was shooting the clear coat over the entire model. With the clear applied, the canopy became clear again.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI
Clear coat is the best way by far in keeping the canopy looking new, but it takes some work of course. I have only painted the canopy while it is mounted because it almost always gets scratches just getting it into the frame. I will say that on my almost 8 year old Bandit it looks like new.
The acrylic finish is so much tougher than just the plastic alone. On a canopy the size of the KingCat it will look great for years. Just using paper towel will scratch an uncleared canopy over time. I never had much luck with the polish method but maybe some have.
Sand with 1000+ until dull and then clear, its that easy!!
Old 05-14-2008, 05:04 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

This very same problem, and similar solutions are both covered in latest RCJI. Managed to restore the huge Hawk canopy which suffered some very deep scratches, now looks better than new !

Regards, David Gladwin.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:57 AM
JET FX

Novus offer an excellent 3 step polish kit and its what I have been using for a long time now and can restore canopies with fine and medium scratches to better than new. I would recommend the 2 oz starter kit that Novus offers it will last you a very long time, plus its good value and works!!! I have yet to find a better value product of this type.

http://www.novuspolish.com/

Cheers- Marty
Old 05-14-2008, 07:54 AM
docgboy

For a quick and easy solution I went to Pepboys and got Maguires plexiglass polish. This took care of all the light to medium scratches that occured during the build
Old 05-14-2008, 07:56 AM
rolsen12

Go to a motor cycle shop and buy Novus #1 and # 2 plastic polish.
You will need a soft cloth to apply #2 first.
This fog the canopy and will polish out the scratches.
Then use the spray (#1) anbuff the canapy back to clear.
Thje bikers use this to get rid oscratches in their wind screens.
Do you know how to tell a biker that don't have a wind screen?
>
>
>
>
>
>
Keep going.
>
>
>
>
>
>

.By the dead bugs on his teeth.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:59 AM
maverick101
My Feedback: (34)

Probably the easiest and cheapest solution would be to sand with a 1500 sandpaper, the go to your local supermarket and buy FUTURE floor wax!! Looks like brand new!!!

Tommy
Old 05-14-2008, 11:26 PM
nraheja

Thanks a lot for all the advice. I got hold of mcguiars plastx but noticed that it requires a lot of elbow grease and was not very effective with long scratches. somehow I have managed to get multiple fine long scratches which will require me to polish the whole canopy. With the size of the KC canopy that means a whole day of polishing and a lot of patience. So the question for the guys who have used novopolish or mcquiars etc, have you used it to remove long scratches or just small ones? the reason I am asking is because I may be doing it wrong and not that I doubt the method. I am using an microfibre applicator pad to get the polish on and applying it in a circular motion.

As of now I am going to experiment on a test surface with
1. future - as the stuff is available in local stores and the sanding should take out all the long scratches too.
2. CLear coat with lustercote clear paint as I don’t have any painting equipment. As anybody used lustercote for clear on a canopy? its supposed to be fuel proof. Has anyone applied clear coat inside the canopy?

Really appreciate all the help.

David - I cant wait to get my hands on the latest RCJI
Old 05-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Spencer K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

you dont get a good finish with lusterkote clear. the best is to sand it down with like 1000 or 1500 and take it to the local autobody shop, slip the guy a 10 spot and he will clear it for you. Much more durable than the plastic its self and you can sand and buff the clear(same stuff they use on a car)
Old 05-15-2008, 11:47 AM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

come back home nilli, I'll spray it for you.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:13 PM
nraheja

I was just thinking it would been a lot easier back home with you. I will post pics once done and my findings on which method best worked for me!
Old 05-16-2008, 02:30 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

On Formula One pylon ships we painted entire plane and sanded the canopy (externally) after the cockpit detail and canopy was glued on. You could not see through it at that point. Final step was shooting the clear coat over the entire model. With the clear applied, the canopy became clear again.
Wow, this is by far the most useful tip I have read on RCU in ages!

Thank you HP.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:49 PM
uncleTom
My Feedback: (30)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FLITZ, work's
Old 05-16-2008, 07:27 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Tommy has the simplest and best cure for this.... Future Floor polish! Rub it on with a soft towel and let dry. Scratches gone and canopy will have a high quality shine!!
Didn't believe it till I tried it a few years back. Better than new with minimal effort or time investment.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62078.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	950641