Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

50+ Turbine flights in two days.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

50+ Turbine flights in two days.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 50+ Turbine flights in two days.

Last weekend I was booked by the hastings club ( Flying club on the south coast of England ) for a jet experience day. Basically the club wanted to return something to their members and offered two days where any club member regardless of flying experience could come along and get at least one 5 min flight on a turbine powered jet.
In these two days I logged over 40 training flights and a bunch of other demo or proving flights that took the figure to over 50. Quite an achievement I think! Apart from one self induced steering servo failure the model preformed faultlessly all weekend, and hopefully all that flew with it enjoyed their time, with many members actually managing to squeeze in two flights.
We managed to get a wide range of pilots some stick time, Men , Women, young and old! Raw novices right through to display team pilots. We had the odd few exciting moments ( Funnily enough none of these were from the novices )
It was great to see a club putting something back in for its members. Great weather and good company made it a thoroughly enjoyable weekend, if a little tiring ( Its amazing how tired you get holding a buddy switch all day )
Thanks to all of those in the hastings club and a big thanks to Darren, Matt and Ryan for all your help across both days.

Regards Al
Old 05-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Ali

Default RE: 50+ Turbine flights in two days.

Out of interest the equipment used was as follows
Boomerang XL ( we had a spare ready to use but found we managed to go through using one airframe)
Jet Cat P-160 with the latest Kero start proving how reliable and easy to use this start system is
2x DX7 Radios. The only radio I know of that could run both sets all day on one charge
AR9100 RX with dual 2400 Mah 6 volt flight packs. I only needed to charge this set up once per day
A dualsky 3700 Gold Series 2 cell Lipo for the ECU. I managed both days with just two packs cycling at a 1c Charge rate. 6 flights were possible from one charge
All Jr 8411 Digital servos
Oh and 104 liters of Paraffin!!!

Apart from a bent nose wheel pin ( Straightened by hand ) and a worn starter o ring ( Made it through but it was getting a little noisy ) Everything else worked perfectly. Start after start. I think this is great testimony to how reliable a modern turbine set up is. The outside temps were in the 80's ( High for the UK) and I was watching normal club members suffering with glow engines and even petrol engines. The Jet Cat just ran at the press of my trim lever all day both days. Beat that !
Regards Al
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48159.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	949808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30882.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	949809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72499.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	949810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20797.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	949811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92830.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	949812  
Old 05-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ali,

Nice to see folks in the UK actually wearing sunglasses!

Sounds like all had a great time!

That was a really great PR opportunity for model aviation.

BRG
Old 05-15-2008, 09:27 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ali

Boomerang XL ........Jet Cat P-160 with the latest Kero start.......................... Oh and 104 liters of Paraffin!!!
That's not bad at all for 50+ flights on less then 30 gallon.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Ali

Sorry that should have been 204
Old 05-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

Hi Ali; Hopefully you will have your PST reaction ready soon for show and training purposes! Which one are you going to build (assemble) first?

And you know you need a 16 KG engine in it
Old 06-06-2008, 05:36 AM
dorgand

It's been a long time coming, but I finally finished the video:

http://darren.alsvideos.co.uk/JetRookie2.wmv

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Darren
Old 06-06-2008, 07:16 AM
Noel Guy

Hi Ali...mate that was so nice to read. Its nice to hear that someone like yourself and others in this sport are so willing to put there time out for others that also love this hobby....or just want to get the toe in the water. Mate...although im not new to the hobby, I am relativly new to the turbine scene and if it wasnt for some of the more well known guys hear in OZ, like Paul Bennett, Peter Agnew and others, my transition to turbines would have been a lot harder... Ali.....keep it up mate, I enjoy reading about you, and everything you put back into the Hobby..........especially the Globemaster...WOW! Thumbs up from DownUnder.

Noel Guy.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Ali

Hey Noel.
Wow! Thanks for that. I love this hobby ( I have tried a few others but this one has it for ) and anything I can do to help it grow I will.
Give my regards to Pete and Paul. Its been a while since I saw them ( jet masters in Thailand ) but I still have great memories.
Regards Al.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:46 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Its always fun to give back! [sm=thumbup.gif]

That's almost as many flights as Ehab has had his whole life!

Raf
Old 06-06-2008, 04:21 PM
jeanfi

Hello Ali,

I like what you do on this video.
Spend time with young pilots and rookies and make their dream come true !! What a nice behaviour from a top pilot like you !

JeanFi
Old 06-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of future turbine flyers have probably been hooked, and those who didn't get hooked will always smile when they see a jet because they got to play along in the fun for once. A very nice use of jet fuel!
Old 06-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Ali

Thanks guys. It was very satisfying, especially with the youngsters doing so well. It never ceases to amaze me how well and quickly they pick things up. I had a proud moment recently ( See another thread sardinia jets) where one of my students flew at and won a jet meeting recently.. He is 9 years old!
We have a team member in the Als Hobbies display team that is 10 years old, young Matt who recently made his first set of flights solo on an XL and another at 15 Young Azza is is fully up to speed on jets and it wont be long before he is flying rings round me. To be involved with these guys first jet flights was a real privialge, and in a few years time when these guys are out flying us aging dinosaurs I can at least have the pleasure of saying that I was in some way a part.
Regards Al
Rav, that comment about Ehab cracked me up! But surely now that he spends most of his life in Thailand he will have nothing else to do with himself other than fly jets????
Old 06-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Ehab

Go ahead Ali and laugh at me!! I'll add a few extra drag strips to your Reaction wings before leaving the factory[&:][&:], You will need an Oly for take off
Old 06-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Ali

Ehab, I am not laughing at you.. I am envious!
To late for my Reaction anyway, as mine is already on the bench. I just wish I had some spare time to finish it off.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Ehab

ORIGINAL: Ali

Ehab, I am not laughing at you.. I am envious!
To late for my Reaction anyway, as mine is already on the bench. I just wish I had some spare time to finish it off.
No need to be envious, just C'mon down to the land of smiles and We'll take care of your flying needs[&:][&:][&:]....

Your reaction has hidden secrets [X(]I assure you[8D]!!!