Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

• CA Jets 2008 The Movie •

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

• CA Jets 2008 The Movie •

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:37 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Default RE: • CA Jets 2008 The Movie •

Paul

you got that number to that truck driving school? I might need that. i'll be your camera operator anytime!!!! Vivid Creations whaaatttt????
Old 05-27-2008, 02:02 PM
AGR413
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul,

I would gladly run a camera for you if I had the opportunity and schedules allowed some day. It would be great to chat about making movies and trade ideas. I really appreciated your comments on the AJR video, I'm over my burn out and thinking about the next project. In regards to the Ca Jets '08. At one point I got goose bumps because the video, editing and composition was just about as perfect as it gets. Other parts were a bit over the top but not so much in the context of the target audience.

The only thing I could complain about is the same problem I'm trying to address, and it is really not a complaint more of a brainstorming question for you. I want to make my videos more personal, I think if we could pick 1-3 personal stories (a particular plane or person) and give the viewer a personal insight into some of the local culture and inside info/jokes. I think you did this to a degree in this video but it left me wondering what the background is on some things.

All the above being said I'm knit picking. I have not seen you charge for your videos and I have not either. I think anyone who wants to complain should choose their words very carefully, it doesn't take much to turn a guy who is working for free/fun off to the whole deal. On the other hand most of the time it is hard getting needed feedback for the next project. I know from my perspective, I like to know what people want to see and if they will tell me what parts of the video they liked I will try and do more of it the next time. My goal next time is to catch a take off, in-flight, landing and four point for each and every plane. I think I have a pretty good idea how much time and effort you put into this video and frankly, I'm stunned. As always you set the bar way too high.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite frankly, although I'm glad you don't, I'm surprised you're not charging $$ for such a quality product. I'm not sure what your (AGR413 & SDCrashmaster) background is, I don't want to assume that because you're in CA that you're part of the film industry, but I know there are other production companies doing model aviation videos, so there must be a market for it.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:41 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Paul - kudos on taking some negative feedback well, rather than getting all defensive (which would be very easy to do).

I appreciate the way that you do something different each year, rather than simply repeating whatever formula worked in the past. While that may run the risk of having a new movie less well received by some people than a previous year's movie, I'd personally much rather see that kind of experimentation than see your movies become more "cookie cutter" style.

BTW, I've often wondered - do you plan much of the movie beforehand, or do you wait until you have all of the raw stuff before you figure out what the format will be ?

Gordon
Gordon,
You have pretty much nailed it with your post. Absolutely imperative that it take on a different form than previous. It's generally the same people and in many case the same jets. The '07 movie definitely has a feeling of progressing through the event, as Matt so nicely talked about in the "07 movie thread. And, although that movie could clearly be disseminated into individual segments, it probably better encompasses the series of events that occurred. The '08 movie is clearly edited into 4 distinct and unrelated segments. There was purposely no banquet footage in this movie. That's not to say that there won't be in the future, just not this time. I tried to focus on mini events within the event, and to capture some of the "flava" that goes along with them. My goal when putting these together is for them to compliment, and add to, the previous years' movies. The number one goal is to make the CA Jets WEBSITE an interesting place to go, and to make it the primo place to get your RC Jet video fix. I try to do that in a way that doesn't require you to be a diehard jet junkie to enjoy the experience.

As far as your question about formulating a plan. There is definitely preconceived shot planning, but no real "flow" planning. By preconceived I mean...I planned to wirelessly mic Joe Mac during a formation flight sequence.
The Cali Crew does this as well as anyone and I've always found the interaction and dialog interesting. Felt it was time that there was an entire segment done on it...not just a clip or two. I also planned on having a lot more dialog and personality in this installment, and made sure I focussed my attentions towards getting it.
I was always bothered by the random "down low with the smoke show" dialog in last years' in that it comes out of nowhere (liked it, but very random). But some things like the "CA Jets is hot" theme just happen. Of course, it was inspired by the initial capturing of an attractive female subject...then my personal sense of humor took over. I am just glad that the initial occurance happened early on in the event so that I had ample time to exploit it. And thank God for Marky Mark and the ultimate payoff. His comfortability level in his performance was scary, and done in one take. Now for those wondering...Yes, I knew that this "Hot" thing was over-the-top. That's why the first "grizzly" repeat of it was a combination of three subjects at once...so that it didn't get beat to death, yet had a nice number of total subjects involved by the time it played out. If I could have gotten Paris Hilton saying "CA Jets is Hot"...that would have change everything. But she left before I had a chance to shoot her
I must say thank you to those bros for accommodating what at the time must have certainly seemed a bizarre request. I can only credit my previous work in assuring them that I was serious when asking

RE: lucratively creating a run-o-the-mill RC event videos (Wildberry not included) of CA Jets. I have no desire whatsover for these "shorts" to become a "Name, rank, what radio, powerplant, how long flying, show the entire flight" type of format.
This is something that is important for the event's spectators and is handled nicely by the MC live at the event.
I would fall asleep doing a project like that. Identifying individuals would be about as far as I would ever consider taking it. But, as I've said before, these videos are done primarily for those who were "inside the circle", and those viewers pretty much know who they're looking at.

AGR413,
I appreciate where you're coming from in your post. These "shorts" certainly create many little scenarios that are left hanging. In our typical viewing habits, the full story would be revealed by the end of an hour long show.
Being only 10-15 minutes in length, my movies of California Jets require attending a future event to obtain closure, and put you inside that "circle" for the next movie[X(].

Your comment of "having a pretty good idea of the time and effort". I am confident that you do, as you have some experience doing it. But I can almost guarantee that you'd be stunned if you ever saw the working FCP timeline...and the project files from all the other programs used to develop the assets that make the compilation (PSD, AI, Motion, Soundtrack, LiveType, GarageBand, etc. [sm=bananahead.gif])

Lastly...I'd like to make a quick shout out Mike Anderson (you may have seen his name in the credits). Mike contributed some excellent footage that I was stoked to include in this years' flick. He's a great guy with a hunger to capture great footage, has a "shooters" mentality and work ethic (and solid equipment to match). If you happen to meet Mike, he deserves your thanks and appreciation.

Whoa this has gotten long winded...and in case you haven't discovered yet, I truly enjoy discussing what's behind, and what goes into the producing of these films. Whether you liked it or not, I enjoy hearing honest opinions.
Do not hesitate to "bring it".

Thanks for listening (if you read this far)
Paul
Old 05-27-2008, 06:40 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

One word to describe that vid.

TTTTIIIIIIGGGHHHHTTTT!!! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

It don't get no better dan dat!!

I'm so pissed, I had to work last weekend [:@]

Raf
Old 05-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster
Whoa this has gotten long winded...and in case you haven't discovered yet, I truly enjoy discussing what's behind, and what goes into the producing of these films.
Paul – if you truly do enjoy talking about what's behind movies like this (rather than finding it a chore to explain), would you perhaps consider doing a thread sometime that is a kind of "dummies guide to making awesome Jet Videos" deal ?

I'm not expecting that you could give out enough pointers to turn artistic black-holes like myself into someone who could give you a run for your money – that simply aint gonna happen. However, I (and I think others too) would love to learn a bit more about what's involved, what tools are used, how you develop your ideas, how you work the timeline to get the perfect shot to match the lyrics (does the audio get tweaked at all to fit the visuals, or always tweak the visuals to match the audio), and just some general info that would help us appreciate what goes into your work.

What I'm envisioning, is something along the lines of Jeremy's (2 or 3 years ago ?) thread about his phenomenal airbrush work. No-one reading that thread expected to just read it and become a master artist . However, there was at least something that each of us could learn for improving our own dismal paint jobs ; on top of that it was with a thoroughly enjoyable article that provided both entertainment and some better appreciation of the effort that goes into some of those masterpieces.

Anyway – I don't mean to give you more work or anything, but maybe it's something to consider for a future project.

Gordon
Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

I appreciate the way that you do something different each year, rather than simply repeating whatever formula worked in the past. While that may run the risk of having a new movie less well received by some people than a previous year's movie, I'd personally much rather see that kind of experimentation than see your movies become more "cookie cutter" style.

Gordon
Paul, Gordon pretty much took the words right outta my mouth. I don't want to know what to expect, just knowing I'm watching a Paul Reese video is good enough for me. Like Gordon, the movies being all different make them that much better in my opinion. I don't slam anyone who likes one vs the other, thats what makes the world go 'round. I thought you caught the vibe of Cali Jets '08 in perfect form as you did the previous 2 years............even though my high speed F-5 passes were not worthy of the movie

Love you, love the movie, love that you do this for all of us.....outta love!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:16 PM
JetsRC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome video, great image, lighting, editing, compositing, etc... As usual a great piece. I enjoyed watching every single second...

Michel
Old 05-28-2008, 03:31 AM
markdam
My Feedback: (15)

"and thank God for Marky Mark and the ultimate payoff. His comfortability level in his performance was scary, and done in one take."

Thanks Paul[8D][8D] it was fun and im just glad i decided to show up late....

For those that have pmmed me my "cameo" is at the END of the movie after ALL the credits have rolled.[sm=lol.gif][sm=52_52.gif]

as for this year or that year they each have their own flavor and of course you can see your maturation/learning curve and newer equipment over the years also which makes each one exactly perfect at the time!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: Dave Presta
I thought you caught the vibe of Cali Jets '08 in perfect form as you did the previous 2 years............even though my high speed F-5 passes were not worthy of the movie
I think I heard that Paul used Dougie's B-ARF "serrated knife-edge" pass instead, because it was WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY faster.

Gordon
Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul Reese video = Graham Mears built plane******Other videos = Hangar 9 ARF. Scotty
Old 05-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Reverend Russ

Paul,

Great job. I've been looking forward to seeing it since I left the willow, and it was well worth the wait!

Russ
Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 PM
SDCrashmaster

You've got me in some pretty good company there Scotty,
Thank You!
Old 05-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Paul,
Another great job on this years video, thanks again. Joe C!!
Old 05-28-2008, 06:21 PM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

Paul....

At the premier this past weekend, as I saw last years video start on the screen, I thought, "Man he must really think the new video is good if hes playing last years video right before it." Last years video was so great in my opinion, I didnt know what you could do to top it or even par with it. Well you did it! I think everyone that attended the premier was clapping or laughing to tears by the end. It truly is an amazing piece.

I have watched it over and over on the computer now. Im getting ready to go to Duks house so we can put it back on the big screen where it should be. Simply amazing.

Thanks for all you do for the show brother. Cant wait until next year.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:47 PM
ltdorn1
My Feedback: (39)

I watched all 3 videos and liked them all.I saw alot of boomers at jets and only saw a 1-2 sec clip of a boomer xl in the 08 film (none in the other 2 films). Are you a boomer hater? lol
It would have been great to get a shot of EVERY type of jet that was there electric to turbine, ugliest to prettiest if possible.
I love going to the field and seeing something different.
Overall awesome job!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:44 PM
SDCrashmaster

ORIGINAL: ltdorn1

I watched all 3 videos and liked them all.I saw alot of boomers at jets and only saw a 1-2 sec clip of a boomer xl in the 08 film (none in the other 2 films). Are you a boomer hater? lol
It would have been great to get a shot of EVERY type of jet that was there electric to turbine, ugliest to prettiest if possible.
I love going to the field and seeing something different.
Overall awesome job!
The pilot in the '08 Boomer clip had an animated arm. That was cool. It made the cut.

8 hrs. of footage / 14 min. movie. I feel far, far worse about the people I wasn't able to show than I do about a particular jet species. Didn't you see Col. Thackers' Elan in there?

I can guarantee you though, if a Boomer had taxied up to me and the little pilot in the cockpit turned his head and said "California Jets is Hot", there would have been one more Boomer in the film!!!

It is imperative that I keep these shorts to a reasonable length. They're cut pretty "fast and furious" to include as much content as possible in the short time frame. But that frenetic pace must be offset with some slower, laid back segments or the piece in its' entirety would be unwatchable.

Thanks for expressing your views and I'll try to be more boomer conscious in the future...although, now I'll probably add some text to the clip like "token Boomer shot"
Paul

Old 05-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Gordon Mc

I can guarantee you though, if a Boomer had taxied up to me and the little pilot in the cockpit turned his head and said "California Jets is Hot", there would have been one more Boomer in the film!!!
Mr Matt … I hope you are listening ! You now know what your task is for next year
Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 PM
JasonP

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Paul. How did you talk mark into it? Guess can't rape the willing.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 PM
SDCrashmaster

I merely suggested it
Old 05-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Mattrock1

Paul, that was awesome! Thanks for all your hard work on this project. We owe you big-time!

My favorite part is Joe gettin' a face full of smoke... I have watched that 20 times and laugh harder every time!

All Hail the Video King!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13119.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	959300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40176.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	959301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87684.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	959302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55389.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	959303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24184.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	959304  
Old 05-28-2008, 11:49 PM
JasonP

I merely suggested it

I vote for Mc Bride for next years closing segment.[8D]
Old 05-29-2008, 12:43 AM
SDCrashmaster

Cool picks Matt. Thanks for the compliments.

Jason, It would have to be McB first, then followed throughout the rest of the movie by a bunch of grizzly women
Old 05-29-2008, 10:39 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"GRIZZLY WOMEN!!" No problem there Paul-just bring the camera to Fresno jets and we will take a little "tour" Scott
Old 05-29-2008, 04:56 PM
SDCrashmaster

Sounds like you've been on the tour before

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.