Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Dissapointment with Jet Central

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Dissapointment with Jet Central

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:08 PM
NUNU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dissapointment with Jet Central

Ok guys let me share with you my experience...got a Rhino runs great and never had a problem and sure didn't want to stop flying for the 25 hour maintenance schedule. anyway send it in and today i get a call...engines coming back to me but i need to pay $250...what thaught I had a warranty? well I was told to read my service manual which i did and of course it does not say anything about paying for service...at this point what would you do? your turbine is held hostage cause you know i would not get it back without paying the ransom..i am disappointed because if i knew that thats how a jet central warranty works i would have flown the thing till I heard the bearings squealing...approximately 100 hours and then send it in cause the price would have been the same..or buy bearings from boca bearings or just drive my self to Carlos at RTI and got it turned around in two days.. The warranty was the main reason I even bought the engine I could have bought a jet cat p160 and have kero start...so at least you guys know how the "warranty" works
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24935.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	953038  
Old 05-19-2008, 09:10 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dissapointment with Jet Central

i thought everyone knew it was a fixed 250 bucks on any of their turbines for the 25 hr service (assumeing no FOD/User damage), seams i knew that and don't even own one of that brand.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Did you buy the turbine off of someone else?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

There's always fine print.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:14 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

That is the standard charge to maintain the lifetime warranty, you should not be disappointed with that.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:27 PM
NUNU

I am the original owner...I guess there is always fine print and implied meaning...for instance if the waranty only covers parts that are not involved in a crash then they will never have to replace anything because a compressor or any other turbine part spinning in plain air does not get damaged..lets do physics ...If a super bee spins above 160,000 and those bearings should be checked at 25 hours why is a rhino spinning at 116 on the same 25 hour schedule?...so if you buy a jetcentral engine you are committing to paying $250 for every 25 hours for the rest of that engines natural life which could technically outlive you...thats a lot of money.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:27 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Dude......that's how it works: you pay $10 per hour of runtime to never have to pay for anything else. (I think that is about $2 a flight for engine insurance[X(]) Uh..................you probably could list that Rhino on RCU and then you could get the brand you want! I bet it wouldn't take long to sell.....
Old 05-19-2008, 09:32 PM
NUNU

you think so Smitty1001....I dont think it would sell so fast..plus to transfer the warranty is also $250....to tell you the truth there is no black magic to turbines and they are not hard to fix because its just remove and replace...car turbo shops have the compressor and Jetmax has turbine wheels and ngv in all the popular sizes....need i go on?...If you want tho I have a recently ovehauled rhino for 3k if anyone wants to p/u in miami fl?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:37 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: NUNU

...................to tell you the truth there is no black magic to turbines and they are not hard to fix because its just remove and replace...car turbo shops have the compressor and Jetmax has turbine wheels and ngv in all the popular sizes....need i go on

so why in your infinite wisdom didn't you buy a Jet Joe and save the $$$ and just do any repairs yourself???
Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

NUNU,

as KC suggests, you might be happiest with a kit-built. then you could do the repairs yourself.
I will continue to write the $250 checks every 25 hours and watch the magic show
Old 05-19-2008, 09:52 PM
BirdofpraY
My Feedback: (31)

Well you have a great turbine but most people buy a great marketing ploy. The biggest problem is, it's a misconception that turbines need a 25hr maintenance schedules when 90% of the users can do their own basic maintenance, most turbines will run 75+ hrs with out a bearing overhaul if well maintenance by the user. With today’s greatest developments in turbines they should last 75+ hrs. I bet if you ask any turbine manufacture how much warranty work they do versus crash damage, the percent would be in single digits.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:54 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't know about you but I wouldn't sell my Falcon.... look at the Turbine ads, it is very rare to see au sed Jet Central for sale, if they are they get snatched up right away.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Richard-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Someone needs to put on their big girl panties and deal with it .....a good example of most warranties is my wife's Deville that has a 100,000 mile "bumper to bumper" all inclusive warranty, but it still costs $100 for each warranty repair (after the first 36k miles), which I fullly understood when I purchased the car. I happen to own a Rhino (and couldn't be happier with it and Jet Central). I also read the warranty before I bought it and I understood that for every 25 hours of run time my cost was going to be $250. If that $250 warranty cost had been a deal breaker for me, I would have stayed with the OS Max .46 and my Sig Somethin' Else.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:25 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

At the risk of pointing out the obvious...A warranty is not the same as a service contract.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:44 PM
NUNU

I guess your right Bird of pray...at least the engine is good...Kc36330 i guess i didnt do the kit things for two reasons...I they dont have a turbine with 34+ pounds and two the warranty i thaught i was getting..i do have a tjt 3000 that i rebuilt with jetmax parts and its sweet got info from the europeans and did my own fuel manifold also...its fun to work on...thats probably why I am dissapointed cause i thaught i was buying something special...just wanted to let a few of you guys know or we might all be wearing big girl panties..Richard-RCU I like the ones from victoria secrets best
Old 05-19-2008, 10:52 PM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Go back to 2006 and read this post, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_48...arranty/tm.htm

Alex
Old 05-19-2008, 11:04 PM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

that post reads that only 180.00 should be charged, buy they must have changed it
Old 05-19-2008, 11:05 PM
3DHELINUT
My Feedback: (3)

Ok guys let me share with you my experience...got a Rhino runs great and never had a problem and sure didn't want to stop flying for the 25 hour maintenance schedule. anyway send it in and today i get a call...engines coming back to me but i need to pay $250...what thaught I had a warranty? well I was told to read my service manual which i did and of course it does not say anything about paying for service...at this point what would you do? your turbine is held hostage cause you know i would not get it back without paying the ransom..i am disappointed because if i knew that thats how a jet central warranty works i would have flown the thing till I heard the bearings squealing...approximately 100 hours and then send it in cause the price would have been the same..or buy bearings from boca bearings or just drive my self to Carlos at RTI and got it turned around in two days.. The warranty was the main reason I even bought the engine I could have bought a jet cat p160 and have kero start...so at least you guys know how the "warranty" works

Thermal prob goes south - Replaced FOC
Starter motor goes south - Replaced FOC
Solenoids go south - Replaced FOC
ECU goes south - Replaced FOC
Injectors, Burn can, etc. etc goes south - Replaced FOC

Having my Super Eagle tuned up every other season for just 250.00 - Priceless

Alan
Old 05-19-2008, 11:07 PM
NUNU

read it guess it should have cost me $45 for 4 hours = $180 not $250...but whatever guess its the gas prices and the terrorist..lmao no seriously i think the next 25 hours i should do a pictorial disassembly and inspection so everyone interested in these little wonders can peep it out...you guys down for it?
Old 05-19-2008, 11:44 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Dude, $250 for 25 hours intervals is dirt cheap. I don't even want to say how much I've spent with my P-80 with less than 5 hours on it everytime I have a flameout we are talking $280 at least.

David
Old 05-19-2008, 11:51 PM
NUNU

wow that sux...my overall point was that no where in the manual or warranty info did it say that you were gonna get charged any particular amount...if it did i would send the engine in when it needed to and not every 25 hours..like bird of pray said...it would be more like 75 hours before it really even begun to show wear
Old 05-20-2008, 12:11 AM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

wow that sux...my overall point was that no where in the manual or warranty info did it say that you were gonna get charged any particular amount...if it did i would send the engine in when it needed to and not every 25 hours..like bird of pray said...it would be more like 75 hours before it really even begun to show wear
I believe the warranty states that the 25 hour service is mandatory in order to keep the warranty in force. And that 4 hours of labor would be charged for the service.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

What happened to the $180 charge??
Old 05-20-2008, 06:19 AM
jetguy34695
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No company with any cents would offer a warranty where they are going to lose money. This is a marketing strategy for improve their overall quality appearance. My guess is that their sales and reputation went way up when they offered this warranty.
Prior to this offering how was their reputation. If you do the math they are now guaranteed $250.00 every 25 hours per engine they sell if you want to keep their warranty.
Before this warranty was offered how many people would send their turbines in every 25 hrs I know I did not.

Just my thoughts
Competition is a great thing that causes improvements in products and price control
Old 05-20-2008, 07:24 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

The warranty was the main reason I even bought the engine I could have bought a jet cat p160 and have kero start...so at least you guys know how the "warranty" works
Have you read the Jetcat "three year" warranty? If you don't send the engine in for it's 25 hr maintenance interval...........you may not have warranty coverage. This is from JC's site under the warranty section.

6) The Buyer must operate and maintain the Model Engines in accordance to the Model Engine manual. The Model Engine must be returned to JetCat USA for maintenance on or before the TBO (Time Before Overhaul) interval of every 25 hours. If Buyer fails to return the Model Engine within the TBO interval, any damaged parts affected by this negligence will be subject to additional repair costs.

Marty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.