Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Airline Safeties

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Airline Safeties

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 AM
hansen3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airline Safeties

I thought I saw a post about the plastic, reusable, airline safeties, but it's gone.

I've built jets using safety wire to insure airline fittings wouldn't leak. It was frustrating when you had to redo something because it seems I always found some way to draw blood from one of my fingers. At any rate, I got some of these plastic airline safeties from Jets N Stuff, and I will never go back to safety wire. These little devices slide over the airline onto the airline fitting and I've never had a leak in the last 4 jets I've used them on. Plus, if you have to disconnect the airline for some reason, just slide the little plastic device back, disconnect your airline, and when your ready to reattach it, the airline safety will again, do the job.

If you're like me and want to do everything possible to avoid problems at the field or in the air, give them a try.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:56 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Airline Safeties

Think the post is "Finally a solution for 90 % air system woes.."...........
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 05-20-2008, 09:20 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

very easy to do yourself
order some 4mm teflon tubing , cut 4mm pieces of and voila you have your insurance.
out of 3 ft you get about 200 pieces
Old 05-20-2008, 11:20 AM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yup, Sandor, you could do that.................Except that the outside diameter of the air line is .125" and 4mm is .1574".... it would be a loose fit. Or, you could cut a bunch of 1/8" I.D. Tygon® tubing to length.....Except it is quite "stretchy" and it does not provide much assistance in securing the air line which is less likely to stretch than the fuel tubing itself. The material that the Safeties are made out of has an Inside diameter of .127...just right to snugly slide over the tube. When the line is pushed over a barbed fitting, it expands and the Safeties have just the right amount of "give" to stretch over the air line. They have a thicker wall thickness than "normal tubing of a similar size....I'm not certain as to what material they are made from. What else can I say? They work well and can be re-used.

I built one of my first R/C systems from a kit....I re-built and re-tuned it myself on nearly a weekly basis.[] I built my own U.A.T. on my first jet. Sometimes, it just feels better to pull a part off the self and use it knowing that it works correctly and that is why we are offering the Air Line Safeties. We have used these 6 or 7 jets so far and they work well....Even in the desert heat.

Tailwinds,

John
Old 05-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I like the idea because sometimes there is no way to get that wire twisting tool inside the fuse to attach where you need it.
V..
Old 05-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer
Yup, Sandor, you could do that.................Except that the outside diameter of the air line is .125" and 4mm is .1574".... it would be a loose fit. Or, you could cut a bunch of 1/8" I.D. Tygon® tubing to length.....Except it is quite "stretchy" and it does not provide much assistance in securing the air line which is less likely to stretch than the fuel tubing itself. The material that the Safeties are made out of has an Inside diameter of .127...just right to snugly slide over the tube. When the line is pushed over a barbed fitting, it expands and the Safeties have just the right amount of "give" to stretch over the air line. They have a thicker wall thickness than "normal tubing of a similar size....I'm not certain as to what material they are made from.
I'm confused about one thing here ... the above would seem sorta reasonable if all barbed fittings had the same dimensions - but I have all manner of different T's, 10-32 screw-in barbs, and can tell you that the barb diameters vary quite significantly. That in turn means that the airline diameter also varies depending on what type of fitting has been inserted into it.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:03 PM
sirrom

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can I offer an easier solution to the problem. Take some regular airline and snip off a piece about 1/8" long. Put it over a pair of small needle nose pliers and stretch just enough to get it over the end of your air tubing. work it down the air tubing about 3/8" and put the main tubing on your brass air nipple. then work the small piece of airline back up over the nipple. What you now have is a fitting that is very hard to get off and is pretty much airtight. It takes a little time to do it but once you do a few times you get the hang of it and can move quite quickly through an installation. I have done it this way now for quite some time and have not had one fail me yet. The upside to it is you can make the small pieces out of a piece of airline that might be too short to go anywhere else, thus saving you money. A 3 inch piece will make enough to do a complete airplane.

Patrick
Old 05-20-2008, 12:41 PM
cactusflyer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gordon,

The Safeties are for 1/16" I.D. air line. They are installed in the same manner as suggested by Patrick except there is a lot less of the "work". I have found that they work well with the brass barbed fittings that we offer as well as the fittings on Tams' landing gear, Robart gear, valves and plastic t-fittings etc. Once the tubing is on the barb, you slide the Safeties up onto the the barb as well. Works well......lasts a long time!

Guys, I don't claim that the Air Line Safeties are the only working solution, they are just the most convenient way to tackle the problem......no cutting, stretching, "working"....................IMHO.

Tailwinds,

John
Old 05-20-2008, 03:58 PM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another source middle of page "Airline clamps" $3.60 for qty 12. Work great.
http://www.jetmodelproducts.com/landing.htm