Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

WHIP ANTENNAS ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

WHIP ANTENNAS ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 03:44 AM
Ch!eF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHIP ANTENNAS ?

Why are you all using whip antennas on your jets , i just dont see why its necessary, to ruin the scale looks , i have several giant scale aircrafts all pretty expensive and with composites and carbon and have allways routed the antenna inside the fuselage and never had any problems. i just dont like the looks of my future jet with that thing sticking out.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:28 AM
ThomasP

Default RE: WHIP ANTENNAS ?

2.4GHz is probably one solution to avoid having the antenna on show.

However I think that with a turbine powered model there are so many electronics onboard, Pumps, ECU's that can cause interference to a conventional antenna when used inboard on the model.

Using a whip antenna places it some distance from the sorces of potential interference.

I am also sure there are plenty of modelers out there using a conventional antenna inboard on turbine powered models that suffer no interference or range problems.

So really "horses for courses" as they say, every installation is different, whatever route you go, perform a comprehensive ground range check, both with the turbine off and running.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:52 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I think that whip antennas are used mostly in europe. Most of the guys in the west coast don't use them.

I've had to use a whip antenna twice and chose to use on once. The 2 times I had to use one was because I kept failing range checks no matter what I did.

I also like the short antennas the most, ie revolution type.

I've hidden the antennae inside the fuse as well! If you look at this pic you can just see the antenna in the cockpit!

These little antennas have always more than doubled my range checks, very assuring as well!

Raf
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73985.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	955784  
Old 05-24-2008, 06:21 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Do a search about Revolution antennas, I used them with great success for many years before I switched to 2.4. I placed the Revolution antenna in the nose pointing forward in all my jets.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Ch!eF

thanks i will do a study on those antennas
Old 05-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

The mini base loaded antennas like deans or revolution provide far better range than the stock wire antenna, and also get the antenna up and away from the various electrical leads (and there are LOTS of them) in the fuselage.. Until the 12X is finally released, this is the solution of choice for me and my jets...