Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RC Report's R/C Jet Column Is Gone!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RC Report's R/C Jet Column Is Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 12:07 AM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Report's R/C Jet Column Is Gone!

Sent an email to Gordon Banks, RC Report Editor, about the R/C Jets column and received one in reply stating that as of now it is no more. A number of reasons led up to the demise of the column but one big reason was an apparent lack of interest in jets from the readers of RC Reports.

Mr Banks did say however, that if at least 100 people wrote him asking that the column remain he would try to find a new writer and give the column another chance.

I don't know about you but I hate to see a jet column go away. They all offer something, no matter how basic.

If you want to see this one continue, drop Gordon a line at [email protected] and let him know.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:35 AM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RC Report

Since I have been writing those columns, it has been really great to receive all those emails for support for the RCR Jets Column. It would be great if someone else could take over the job and let the column continue. But, bear in mind that writing 8 to 10 pages of jet stuff each month is not an easy job. I simply ran out of stuff to write about after doing it for almost a year.

Maybe a little fresh blood could convince Gordon not to axe the column.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:05 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also e-mailed Gordon. I was told the same. It's hard to believe that there was no support for it! The jet area is the only reason that I have been buying the magazine again.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:29 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Maybe RCJI has it all wrapped up and there was just no need for another!
Old 05-08-2003, 09:10 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like RCJI but it would be nice if they came out every month instead of only 6 issues a year.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:48 AM
FTiano
My Feedback: (11)

In all fairness to Gordon, and John, another thing to consider from the magazines point of view is that RC Report also did not receive any input from any jet kit, accessory or engine manufacturer, other than one sometimes two. This does not only mean advertising dollars, but product releases and announcements as well. I was once told by someone at Model Airplane News that they dropped freeflight coverage and articles because there was no advertising support from any of the freeflight companies. In the magazine's eyes, perhaps they think there is no interest from the readership as well. If we could find a new jet column author, I'd be willing to support the column with a monthly ad and maybe we could convince a few other small companies to do the same. RCJI is great but another slant on stuff would sure be helpful as well.

FT
Old 05-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Magazines

In the non inet days I subscribed to any mag with a jet articles, Rich Uravitch had a good column (jet blast) in MAN. BVM had a news letter etc. It was the only way to find out what was going on out there. Today, with the inet it seems those articles are "old news" when you get them. We get reports, pics, construction articles in real time right here on RCU, do I need to see coverage of a jet event again months later in a mag article?? I only get RCJI now.

Vin...
Old 05-08-2003, 12:12 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,
According to the editor of RCJI he doesn't feel that there's enough information or contributions from jet modelers to sustain 12 issues a year and keep the high quality of the magazine. I can imagine how hard it must be to write a monthly article and keep the column interesting. The last I heard was that RCJI might go to nine issues a year, but that was a while ago.
Regards,
Jon
Old 05-08-2003, 02:13 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Magazines

Originally posted by Vincent
In the non inet days I subscribed to any mag with a jet articles, Rich Uravitch had a good column (jet blast) in MAN. BVM had a news letter etc. It was the only way to find out what was going on out there. Today, with the inet it seems those articles are "old news" when you get them. We get reports, pics, construction articles in real time right here on RCU, do I need to see coverage of a jet event again months later in a mag article?? I only get RCJI now.

Vin...
Vin,

I think you are 100% correct. However, to most people, it still is easier to bring a magazine to the potty than bringing the PC. Plus, if you run out of toilet paper, a keyboard is not very usefull.

JC
Old 05-08-2003, 03:32 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default rcji

I would love to see RCJI come every month and with a little more local stuff. Man I hate waiting for that thing, it drives me crazy. Im sure theres enough going on to fill it up, but maybe not enough sponsorship. It would be cool to see articles about people and their workshops or articles about companies like ZAP or BVM or Yellow.
Scott
Old 05-08-2003, 03:40 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I subscribed to jet power in addition to my rcji subscription. the *******s come out the same time! so I still have a month of nothing......
Old 05-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Doug Arnold

Pat,

Don't worry you have Dan and I to keep you entertained for the months in between your RCJI magazines.

Doug A
Old 05-08-2003, 05:53 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default #13

I'm "Lucky" #13 of Gordon's search for 100 replies to try and keep the column.

Just an update to show the interest or lack of interest to keep the column alive.

George
Old 05-08-2003, 06:01 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

oh my...

guess a guy knows who his friends are... or something like that.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:05 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Default WOW--Disappointing!!

WOW GEORGE--Almost 400 hits on this thread and you were number 13 to send an email. Guess apathy reigns...
Old 05-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Pete S-RCU

Doesn't Ivan Munninghoff (sp) have column in MAN?

I don't get that mag.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:53 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Where's R/C Jets????

Just happened to catch this thread and couldn't believe my eyes about the R/C Jets column disappearing....especially after all the critical information and pics provided in June's issue...this kind of stuff is what some of us considering getting into jets really need.

JC....I'm beggin' you please try to continue to do a column even if it's every other month or so...focus on some of the more "mundane" issues like turbine setup, control surface setup, maintenance issues, etc....this is the type of info I, and many like me, want and need!

I sent my concerns on to Gordon via the email address you provided RAMflyer...thanks for putting out the word...

Bill
AMA71190
Old 05-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default mags

John C. wrote:

>

Yup, thats where my RCJI`s are sitting but I am not one of those guys that "camps" out in there, all business man. he he he!!

Vin...