Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F-14 wing test video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F-14 wing test video

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 AM
P38J
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-14 wing test video

For anyone intrested here is a video of the first test on the wing sweep of my friends new F-14. I'm just going over it getting it ready to fly.
[link]http://rcuvideos.com/item/R2KLL4DKQQHDL5X2[/link]
Old 06-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: F-14 wing terst video

Nice F-14. Is there a way to test the wing travel under load on the ground before you fly it?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:56 AM
bskyinc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that a Jet-mart 14
Old 06-26-2008, 12:04 PM
RonLongAZ
My Feedback: (29)

Yes it is.

Ron
Old 06-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Hustler58
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there anyway to slow it down? It might do something you are not ready for moving that fast.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Molar mender

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I control my swing wing on the B-1B with a three way switch. The middle position is off and I can control the amount of sweep by switching it to the forward position or rearward position, in small increments. If any thing goes awry, I can put it back to full forward.

Roy
Old 06-26-2008, 12:47 PM
B1Driver
My Feedback: (26)

Roy, can we get some pics of your B-1B... I'd love to see what you've done. Thanks

Luis
Old 06-26-2008, 01:22 PM
My Feedback: (9)

yes its to fast the full scale is some thing like 4 seconds for full sweep
and that fast will cause huge problems in pitch if your cg is not right on
you will also need sweep to elevator mix it will pitch down as they sweep back
good luck
Old 06-26-2008, 01:47 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Whats a terst?

Raf
Old 06-26-2008, 03:02 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wayne & Ron
The speed appears to be the same as Bryce Watson's illfated F 14.If you have any concers or problems I would contact him as he had a few flights on his.The only problem I can recall was the tires would leave the rims. BTW that one cool TOMCAT,looking forward to photographing it on my next trip to the "Valley of the Heat" you all stay cool and in the shade.
Raf.. Terst is when the heat gets above 110 degrees and the fingers just don't hit the right keysor as a fellow Marine said when you have it on full auto......
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 06-26-2008, 03:05 PM
B1Driver
My Feedback: (26)

Full scale sweep from to 67.5 is approx 53 seconds, but your right, the nose dose pitch down as I find myself trimming a bit when I sweep them aft. Our Target CG is 17% on takeoff, 25% cruise with wings at 25 Degrees, and 35% at 67.5. Hope this helps..

Luis
Old 06-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Hustler58

Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47986.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	979079  
Old 06-26-2008, 04:55 PM
RonLongAZ

Joe,

I land my jets better with no tires than with them on. I learned how to land with no tires from all the times the dam Euro fighter tires would roll off at take off. Now with the new tires Todd sent me they stay on and I hardly know how to act on landing.
I gave wayne 2 P-60 Se's to go in that F-14. She will be ready to go here in a few weeks.

Ronald R long
Old 06-26-2008, 05:16 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Hustler,

Could you post a better pic of that?

Raf
Old 06-26-2008, 07:36 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ron, that wing sweep actually looks a little slower than mine and will give you no problems at all. You will need just a slight bit of up elevator when the wings go back and make sure you dual rate the aileron throw with wings back. On the 12Z I have a delayed up elevator trim that comes in slowly and a flight condition that reduces aileron throw when I flip the wing switch. I do not have 2-3 switches to fiddle with so the workload is greatly reduced; all I have to do is concentrate on seeing it [8D]. My swing wing is also on a 3-position switch and can be stopped anywhere in the swing IF you're quick enough.

Let me know when the maiden is, I'll drive up for sure.

George
Old 06-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Hustler58

ORIGINAL: ravill

Hustler,

Could you post a better pic of that?

Raf
My e-mail is [email protected] . E-mail me and I will send it to you. Butch Sickels 817-223-0779
Old 06-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Dancobsen

Default RE: F-14 wing test video

I saw this plane the other day it looks fantastic! twin p-60 is going to be cool. Wayne is an incredable builder it won't go in the air until it's right, I'm sure of that. It looks really good Ron.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:19 PM
RonLongAZ

George,

thank you for your input I was hoping you would enterject on this thread as a experienced F-14 RC pilot. We have input the mix for the wing swing backat 60% on the elevons and I was thinking the faster the better for the movement. I will definatly call you for the maiden, lets fly the 2 together it will be fun and we will get some good pics as well. Uncle Joe I might have to buy you a ticket.

Ronald R long
Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 PM
FalconWings

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I could see myself spending all day sweeping those wings. [8D]
Old 06-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Dancobsen

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

I could see myself spending all day sweeping those wings. [8D]
That's funny you say that. I was looking at this plane the other day and I'll bet we spent atleast a half hour moving the wings back and forth. I don't think we ever moved them without saying somthing like "that's so cool".
We're a bunch of kids with toy airplanes, it's great!
Dan
Old 06-27-2008, 02:32 PM
THEREALMATRIX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's our entry into the swing wing arena.

http://rcuvideos.com/item/M9SL06SJNDD627F2

It's a drop in fit for DCU / Jetmart F14s but is heavy enough to swing a larger wing. It uses servos and a worm gear. Since they are servo controlled you can program your radio to move the wings back when gear is up and full throttle or move them forward when in a turn or low throttle automatically.

Customer flight testing this summer.

Just attach wings and fly. Comes with former templates. Price $349. http://home.earthlink.net/~matrixmt/id7.html

Old 06-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

[quote]ORIGINAL: unclejoe
Wayne & Ron
The speed appears to be the same as Bryce Watson's illfated F 14.
[quote]

Yup, that's about right Unclejoe, I had two different battery packs that I experimented with which gave me either 5 seconds to go from 20 degrees sweep to appx 64 degrees. Or the slow pack with was appx 7 seconds to do the same.

Some facts and figures and a few things I learned from the flights I had on the first F-14.

Mine weighed in at about 41lbs full of fuel........and 44 lbs with the two droptanks, two Phoenix missiles, Two Sparrow missiles, and two Aim 9 sidwinder missiles and pylons. The jet was 34 lbs empty with no armament or pylons. The weight was part of the reason for the high ground speed on takeoff and landing, thus leading to throwing a few tires from the rims as unclejoe mentioned. My control throws on the elevons for roll were, (measured from the root of the leading edge) 1 1/2 inches up and down when the wings were fully extended and 1 inch up and down when the wings were at half sweep and finally 3/4 inch up and down when the wings were fully swept. As George mentioned my wings were also on a three position switch, but could be stopped anywhere in between. Elevator (pitch rate) always stayed at maximum throw (1 1/2 inches up and down from neutral regardless of roll rate switch or wing position) I usually went to the taileron/elevon roll rate while straight and level of the next wing setting I was planning, then swept the wings and left them there. To be honest, I actually spent most of the time with the rate position for the elevons in the mid (1 inch throw up and down) position and then I was able to fly around pretty much with the wings anywhere I wanted just keeping in mind, it would be sensitive (but manageable fully swept) and sluggish..(very) with the wings fully extended, but I always had plenty of time to hit the switch to full throw before landing.

A few things to note......and dispell any rumours........the JetMart F-14 flew fine with no bad habits. The only reason my first one crashed is because "I" made the mistake of pulling the throttles to idle and entering a dive with the wings fully swept and the jet fully loaded with all the armament (basically, too slow for that configuration with that much drag and weight). With about a minute remaining on the timer that plane probably weighed in the neighborhood of 38 or 39 lbs. There was never any problems with the CG or sweeping the wings at any speed, very stable plane with the wings out and think paper airplane (the pointy one) with the wings swept, that's how it flys.

To do a low pass with the wings swept, I gradually would reduce throttles about 3 or 4 clicks, NEVER push the nose down or its heading for the dirt quick, once I reached the altitude I wanted on the pass, come up on the throttles a couple clicks and it stayed there, then increase to full throttles and she climed out with no problem. I never looped it, but after I almost lost it, when an engine quit and I ended up diving for speed and pulling up hard, I have no doubt it would loop with no problem. (The wings were flexed about 4 inches up, but after that flight nothing was bent, cracked or stressed so my faith was in the design of everything after that point, especially at the weight I was flying at.)

The plane will handle the weight no problem, wings extended or swept, just have to have the speed up while they are swept, for mine it was no slower than about 100mph or it would start to nose over and head down.

With the wings extended and a moderate amount of speed, the F-14 always wanted to climb slightly, not necessarily a bad thing, just something to keep in mind.

The transition from full sweep to full extend I tried at several speeds and had no issue other than you have to be careful of not going too fast and just hitting the switch becuse the jet will pitch up violently with that 4 second sweep, (I did this a couple of times, once in level flight, the second time in a banked turn.......definately raises an eyebrow......but afterwards, no damage or evidence of stress anywhere...also keep in mind, that F-14 weighed a bit more than most, thus the need to keep the speed up while the wings were fully swept, or in transition.) My usual way of bringing the wings forward after those tests was to bring them to half sweep, then slow till the jet felt a bit heavy on the elevator then up to full sweep.........no real noticeable change in flight characteristics doing it that way.

ORIGINAL: THEREALMATRIX

Here's our entry into the swing wing arena.

http://rcuvideos.com/item/M9SL06SJNDD627F2
Nice going John, this will make flying this F-14 A LOT more manageable........having auto-sweep will take a lot of the speed guesswork and switch flipping out of the flight leaving the pilot with a more enjoyable experience.

Here are a few vids of my first bird that are online, thanks angelflyer.

First Flight
[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/B98TPR06XC1T40S7]http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/B98TPR06XC1T40S7[/link]

Fifth Flight (Engine out go-around and landing)
[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/GFZLBW00NRC3KBX9]http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/GFZLBW00NRC3KBX9[/link]

Vid from Woj (thanks again to everyone who helped me throughout that project, feels like the whole planet. [8D])

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/XWZPDQ718CKLDR5G]http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/XWZPDQ718CKLDR5G[/link]

A few of the characteristics of the F-14 can be seen pretty well in this vid, mainly the sweeping of the wings toward the end of the vid while in a turn.......no noticeable change in flight chracteristics, and couple of swept wing flybys.........as long as your speed is up with the wings swept no problem, if you get slow with them swept?

Then add full throttle, quickly or the next thing you're going to see is:

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIbfLq-IjvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIbfLq-IjvQ[/link] []

Hope that helps you guys out there with this jet, good luck with that beautiful bird, looking forward to the pics/vids.

Bryce
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65484.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	979661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95598.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	979662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44017.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	979663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75244.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	979664  
Old 06-27-2008, 04:50 PM
George

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Bryce, thanks for helping out. Your 14 was definitely heavier than mine. I've never weighed it full of fuel, but if I remember correctly, mine is right at 31 lbs. tanks empty, UAT's full. I do not experience the pitching you did when extending the wings at full speed, as a matter of fact it is almost seamless, but that may be a product of my mixing. I was so scared of having too much aileron throw with wings back that I knocked them way down, but now that I have flown it few times, I almost feel like I need to add a little back in which I will do. I also do not reduce the elevator throw at all, it remains constant throughout the flight; I'm not even sure if I have the elevator on DR to be honest. Like you said, the JM F-14 flies great and has no bad habits and actually flies much easier than most people can imagine; it's just a VERY INTIMIDATING aircraft. There are a few videos of mine from this year's jet rally showing the take-off, multiple wing sweeps and landing. I was supposed to get copies, but no deliveries yet.

Ron, I wish I could bring mine with me when I come up for the maiden, but it is just not possible to crate and ship from VA to AZ for such a short time, but I tell you what, that would be one awesome sight to see two F-14's flying in formation, (would probably be a first). Maybe if you head to the East Coast sometime, you can tote your 14 .

George
Old 06-27-2008, 05:19 PM
RonLongAZ

George,

That looks like it could happen in our life time You guys have provided a lot of valuable info in this thread thank you very much for everyones input. Bryce thanks for the comments and videos I am really getting excited about getting my F-14 up in the air.

We will have to get 2 F-14 in formation at some point.

Ronald R Long