Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:42 AM
J.F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Maidened mine yesterday also, required quite a bit of down trim for normal flight, and boy does she ballon with flaps, however, very comfotable flight and takes off and lands on a 50m grass strip without worry. Second flight much more comfy after mixing in some more down trim for those flaps.
Mine required no lead in the nose, and plenty of power using Merlin 90.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:14 PM
ricardinho

wellgot 4 perfect flights on the sprint today. great day.  one little problem. i noticed on the elevator cover got a little distorted today fromn heat. no hot starts nothing. i also noticed the covering got a lttle hard in a spot but didnt burn. i need to get a new elevator cover that holds on the servo. so i took the screw out and noticed the plastic brackets that hold the servo on are broke. man it could have gotten ugly today but it didnt.. thank god. i think my friend has a spare.. reason is i am wondering if anybody else has had troubles with heat under the verticle stab. i think it does it on max temps which are your start up max temp. i am running a p70 and it will get some 940c temps on max temp sometimes but temps always stay around 600c during flight so i guess the start temps are the problem .. who knows . like my friend tells me . welcome to the turbine world....
Old 05-24-2009, 06:22 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ricardinho

wellgot 4 perfect flights on the sprint today. great day. one little problem. i noticed on the elevator cover got a little distorted today fromn heat. no hot starts nothing. i also noticed the covering got a lttle hard in a spot but didnt burn. i need to get a new elevator cover that holds on the servo. so i took the screw out and noticed the plastic brackets that hold the servo on are broke. man it could have gotten ugly today but it didnt.. thank god. i think my friend has a spare.. reason is i am wondering if anybody else has had troubles with heat under the verticle stab. i think it does it on max temps which are your start up max temp. i am running a p70 and it will get some 940c temps on max temp sometimes but temps always stay around 600c during flight so i guess the start temps are the problem .. who knows . like my friend tells me . welcome to the turbine world....

typically it's caused by air blowing over the tail at low RPM, such as during taxi or if you're starting up without the nose pointed into the wind.

Congratulations to all with the new maidens.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:29 PM
ricardinho

you are probobly right. today we had a head wind around 12 knot. i always start the engine in the wind. i guess the best way is to start in the crosswind so it blows to the side which wont harm anything.. you can never get ahead in this hobby hahaha.. thanks for the quick reply
Old 05-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Doc...
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,

What are you using a 70 or 80? I have the 80 and the power is all I could ask for. I'm using 35% on the flaps mixed with about 30% down elevator.

Doc...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11007.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1205371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46795.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1205372  
Old 05-25-2009, 12:01 AM
iiievolution

Hello

Doc Congratulations on your maiden flight.It flies nice, doesnt it?

<script></script>
Ricardinho, dont start your turbine in crosswind or tailwind. Its standard practice to always face the model in to wind for engine start and shutdown. Your P-70 900 degrees during start sounds a little too much.

Paul

Old 05-25-2009, 05:07 AM
Doc...

Hi Paul,

Thanks. I just noticed you said you were having a problem with heat. I had the same problem 3 weeks ago at high rpm. We deceided to take out the 3/8" shim that was recomended for the engine mount and it was fine after that. I had read the problem was on the P 80 and not on the 70. Your right, this thing flies like it's on rails and the vertical climb, well, you have to keep you eye on it because it will go out of site before you know it. John, my CD, brought his XL and I can't believe how slow that thing can fly. These are great ships. Hope you have a "blast". Are you building anything else? Have a great holiday,

Doc...
Old 05-25-2009, 05:16 AM
ricardinho

my start up temps are always around 580c . my max temps are sometimes 940c i talked to matt carroll on here and he said max temp is only on start up. thats the max temp the engine briefly went to on start up. he said not uncommon having these temps on start.. he said the max R temps are the most important. my avererage temps are 480c . and max r temps never go over 550c.. its pretty interesting how these engines operate. i haver never had a shut down on start up so i guess everything is ok....
Old 05-25-2009, 05:53 AM
iiievolution

Hello Doc

No I have never had a heat problem with the P-70 its ricardinho who is having some issues with the heat. I always have one or two jet projects on the go, now I am finishing a FeiBao F-22. Yes it is quite fast, one day my friend came with his baby boomerang intro, also with a P-70 and you could see that there was quite a noticeable difference in the speed.

Ricardinho, ok that sounds normal. I have seen people using a heat blanket or just kitchen silver foil to cover their tailplane during start to protect it from the engine start heat.

Paul

Old 05-25-2009, 06:10 AM
ricardinho

thats exactly what i am doing today.. my buddy has a elan with kiro start. he had a hot start on first start and singed the covering off under vert. stab.. he used the heat proof covering. were going to do mine today. scary thing is only one servo for the elevator. its lights out if that ever went bad... thanks pat
Old 05-25-2009, 07:31 AM
kb8ife

Hi Guys
Sounds like I got the right Jet. Just about ready to install the turbine I have seen on this posting about a 3/8 shim do I put the turbine on the rails with or without my P-70 has 1.6 hours on it V.6
thanks jim
Great job all with first flights, mine will be soon I have a master builder in Muskegon getting it ready I will put the turbine in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96430.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1205481  
Old 05-25-2009, 07:37 AM
kb8ife

I forgot to add when I get my turbine out of the box the smell is so good I get goose bumps and ......you know, can't wait have I been bitten or what.
jim
Old 05-25-2009, 07:40 AM
KC36330

the JetCat mount is the only one that needs the 3/8 shimming to sit centered.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Doc...

Hi,

That's what I have been reading but when I added it, the stab and servo cover got really hot but no damage because we were looking for that in the first place. It looks like theremight bea different exaust pattern from the P 70 and the P 80. (I have no idea) I have the 80with the JetCat mount. As I mentioned before, I removed the shim and Saturday when we ran it up, the leading edge of the stab and the servo cover remained cool. I will tell you I'm glad I used the BVM heat shield paint and the blanket in the back end. Good stuff.

Doc...
Old 05-25-2009, 11:04 AM
cyprusjets

Now you make me happy . Hope we will maiden it together.

Your brother
Eftychios

ORIGINAL: iiievolution

Hello Doc

No I have never had a heat problem with the P-70 its ricardinho who is having some issues with the heat. I always have one or two jet projects on the go, now I am finishing a FeiBao F-22. Yes it is quite fast, one day my friend came with his baby boomerang intro, also with a P-70 and you could see that there was quite a noticeable difference in the speed.

Ricardinho, ok that sounds normal. I have seen people using a heat blanket or just kitchen silver foil to cover their tailplane during start to protect it from the engine start heat.

Paul

Old 05-25-2009, 07:06 PM
iiievolution

Eftychios, its cumming along nicely. Very well built from the factory, but more of it on the "Feei Bao F22 Raptor advice Please" thread soon.

Paul
Old 05-25-2009, 07:28 PM
ricardinho

fixed my problem with the heat today. used 3m aluminum tape and placed on the area where the heat was. i also covered the servo cover with it also. doesnt look to bad. anyway another trouble with my p70 starter. anybody on here using the tams jet fod screen beware. i noticed the starter was hanging a little on cool down today so i removed the rubber ring holder and it begain to work again just not as nice. now it is making a slight whinny noise but not slipping and is starting ok.. this starter is brand new warrenty repair from jetcat with the fod screen installed by them. i took that fod screen off today and chucked it. thats has been the problem of my starter the whole time. it pputs a side load on the starter. now i can slightly push the starter if i need to on cool down if it hangs up. i must have the worst luck .. anyway i am not using a fod screen. i run off blacktop and have screen in the engine bay so slight chance of fod i hope. i talked to matt carroll today on the phone and he said if its starting up with no issue run it until it wont start then send it in. all in all the engine runs perfect. anyway just wanted to warn anybody using these screens to keep an eye on it...
Old 05-25-2009, 08:38 PM
KC36330

i run a Tam FOD screen on all my JetCats and never a problem, I'd never run a turbine without a FOD screen directly on the turbine its self, no exceptions. if you're having problems you just need to make sure you don't have anything binding the screen on the installation which will put pressure on the starter and cause it to be misaligned. on the P-70 i typically run a P-60 FOD screen, it's smaller and much easier to install without it touching anything on the airframe which can offset the starter.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:18 PM
ricardinho

thats the one i am using. the p60 tams. jetcat installed it on my engine when i purchased it. i am not putting that thing back on. this is the second time i have sent this thing in for stater problem. seems to work fine now without it on there. atleast you can move it alittle if you have to without the screen on. they need to make a jetnet. this will solve the problem. i dont understand whay they have one for the p 60 p80 - 160 but not the p70.. anyway calling bob tomorrow about this. if i send it back it will be the third time for starter issues. the fod screen is the problem. i read a whole thread on fod screens on the p70.. also the tams are known to fall apart and leave metal particles in the engine. i read that to. i will take my chances with out the fod screen. sounds crazy but getting a little upset now with the repairs... anyway glad you dont have any problems... anyway i do love the engine runs strong and jet cats service is outstanding but this problem needs to be solved. i am going to where the bolts out taken off and on hahahaha..
Old 05-25-2009, 10:18 PM
KC36330

thats the one i am using. the p60 tams. jetcat installed it on my engine when i purchased it. i am not putting that thing back on. this is the second time i have sent this thing in for stater problem. seems to work fine now without it on there. atleast you can move it alittle if you have to without the screen on. they need to make a jetnet. this will solve the problem. i dont understand whay they have one for the p 60 p80 - 160 but not the p70.. anyway calling bob tomorrow about this. if i send it back it will be the third time for starter issues. the fod screen is the problem. i read a whole thread on fod screens on the p70.. also the tams are known to fall apart and leave metal particles in the engine. i read that to. i will take my chances with out the fod screen. sounds crazy but getting a little upset now with the repairs... anyway glad you dont have any problems... anyway i do love the engine runs strong and jet cats service is outstanding but this problem needs to be solved. i am going to where the bolts out taken off and on hahahaha..

I've never seen firsthand a Tam screen have any problems at all, if you're running the P-60 screen and it's causing binding then it's because whomever did the trimming on the outer ring to clear the Festo's didn't do it right or you're getting binding on the installation either way i can see if you let it happen once, but three times?????
Old 05-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Warwick Laken

I am building my second Sprint, but this time I am going to use the Dreamworks duel smoke and fuel tank.  I hope to have it in about a week to ten days.  In the meantime, I want to finish the set up of the all the pumps etc.

Does anyone have a picture of the sprint with this tank in they can post so I can get an idea of clearances.

Thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 01:18 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thats the one i am using. the p60 tams. jetcat installed it on my engine when i purchased it.
Are you saying that Jetcat installed a non Jetcat part onto one of their turbines please clarify? Ihave never seen a tams FOD screen any chance of a picture?

Mike
Old 05-26-2009, 05:44 AM
Doc...

Hi,

I may be wrong but I don't think JetCat makes a FOD. When I ordered mine for the P-80from Bob, he told me it was made from Tam Jets. I'm surprised Tam makes a FOD for the60 and the 80and some of the other larger Turbines but not for the 70. Go figure.

Doc...
Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 AM
ricardinho

jetcat did installed it and sent it to me. only thing i did was bolt the engine on the plane. i got about 10 flights before it started to do its bad thing again. as soon as i removed the rubber bushing that holds the fod on it began to work. so i did a flight without the ring on and was fine. but now am hearing little whinny noise but not metal to metal. i think these stater o rings do need to seat themselves though so maybe thats why. now when i removed the fod completly the stater works great.. sorry to sound like a pain...
Old 05-26-2009, 06:06 AM
ricardinho

yes they make the jet net. its a beautiful fod screen. they have it for p60- 160 not for the p70.. bob wilcox said there is no other fod for the p70 then the tams. he personally said these screens sometimes put a load on the stater cousing hang up... who knows...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.