Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Composite Bobcat paint finish >

Composite Bobcat paint finish

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Composite Bobcat paint finish

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Composite Bobcat paint finish

I've just started putting together a Comp BC and after fitting the servo hatches to all surfaces, I noticed that the paint lines on the top and bottom of the wing panels do not match at the leading/trailing edges.
BV tells me "these are assembled by humans and we all make mistakes. Unforunately you are in the UK and we are in the States. What do you want me to do about it?" He then says that if I return them to him they will probably get damaged in the post.
Now then, I know and evryone else knows that BVM products are not the cheapest, but they are of very high quality. Surely this quality should be extended to ensure that the finish on the model is correct?
Has anybody else got a "Navy" scheme BC where the orange panels on the top/bottom of the wings does not match up at the leading/trailing edges??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65872.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	986212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58066.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	986213  
Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Composite Bobcat paint finish

Looks like they put the masking tape on the wrong side of marks on the mould and the amount it's off is the width of the tape used. The finish on BVM Arf stuff does vary in quality and it really is the luck of the draw what you get. I don't think I would worry about it and I don't think it will be too long before someone comes on a tells you that "you wont see it at 200mph" anyway.

Jason
Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 AM

Won't be too long before this thread is shut down either
Old 07-08-2008, 12:16 PM

Why should the thread be shut down??
Old 07-08-2008, 12:36 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Well, considering what you paid for the kit, I would NOT accept the answer you got. You paid more for quality, fit and FINISH....they would be on their way back to BVM and the veiled threat of damage in shipping is BS, they were shipped to you were they not?

I would stand my ground and make them make it right.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Worzey

I've just started putting together a Comp BC and after fitting the servo hatches to all surfaces, I noticed that the paint lines on the top and bottom of the wing panels do not match at the leading/trailing edges.
BV tells me "these are assembled by humans and we all make mistakes. Unforunately you are in the UK and we are in the States. What do you want me to do about it?" He then says that if I return them to him they will probably get damaged in the post.
Now then, I know and evryone else knows that BVM products are not the cheapest, but they are of very high quality. Surely this quality should be extended to ensure that the finish on the model is correct?
Has anybody else got a "Navy" scheme BC where the orange panels on the top/bottom of the wings does not match up at the leading/trailing edges??
My NAVY scheme Bobcat is typo'd. It just says "NAV ". The original owner didn't realize it until he traded it to me. I understand wanting to have a perfect paint, but I'm more concerned with the structure than the color. You can touch that up if it really gets to you. I'm not gonna get OCD over it, though. You're right. it's not going to matter at 100+.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:11 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And Bob's point is???? Simply put, you are not satisfied with what you bought due to poor quality control on this particular unit and the manufacturer needs to make it right.....................Is it YOUR problem that the shipping companies cannot provide quality service as well?

The defective parts should be returned at the supplier's cost. It's up to the supplier to take the risk for the shipping....Maybe BVM should insure it and take the chance that he gets to "sell" one to the shipping company as well.......Just my $.02 worth before the thread gets pulled......

Regards,

John
Old 07-08-2008, 01:28 PM

Hi as im new to these forums i find the fact that a bit of negative feedback gets the thread pulled.
I use these forums to make decisions about products and problems associated with them,from peoples experiences. If your not allowed to post neg comments how am i to know whats HOT and whats NOT ect...
My 'nitroplanes' bobcat copy the trimmed panels line up perfectly
Tim.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:40 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: tizer33

Tim.
But your Copycat won't fly, build or have the awsome retracts or hardware, like uncle Bob's.

Dude, BVM said send it back, you'll get new ones. If the shipper damages it or loose's it, then there's another headache.

QED

Raf
Old 07-08-2008, 02:54 PM
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always ask Uncle Bob (and his minions ) to send some orange touch-up paint, respray to the outermost trim line and be done with it....

Barry
Old 07-08-2008, 03:26 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: ravill

ORIGINAL: tizer33

Tim.
But your Copycat won't fly, build or have the awsome retracts or hardware, like uncle Bob's.

Dude, BVM said send it back, you'll get new ones. If the shipper damages it or loose's it, then there's another headache.

QED

Raf

I didn't read anywhere that BVM said send it back, only that if it was shipped it would probably end up damaged in the shipping.

I got a similar response when I called BVM a few years back about my Super Bandit regarding formers that were way to small for the fuse. I was told, "fill in the gaps with glue"...... on a kit that expensive I'm being told to fill in gaps with glue? On structural formers????
I'd rather have parts that fit, so I made myself new parts that fit instead.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

One of the last Compo Bobcats we sold had a missing stab block. The customer was not happy so he returned it to me and I paid ( Insured against damage ) to have it shipped back to the U.S where BVM made the repair.
The stab got back to the customer just fine and hopefully made him just the way he should be with his new shiny top of the range jet.... Happy!
Regards Al
Old 07-08-2008, 05:20 PM

If BVM is worried about the wings getting damaged in shipping ( somehow they made it to you wiithout damage).Tell them you will not bother to send the wings back and waste thier money on shipping.Just have them send you a new set,no reason to send the old ones back if they are so confident they will get damaged. I inquired about a tail boom mod for my Kingcat( aparrently the older ones had problems),thier answer was why don't you just buy some new booms ,only $700 and $100 for shipping.I thought the inflated prices were to take care of the customer.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:46 PM

Many thanks to all of you for your replies.

I've decided to send the wing panels direct to BVM, once i've received confirmation that they have replacements in stock.
Anyone know the value of a set of wings so I can get the relevent insured postage?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:04 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: dbarrym

You could always ask Uncle Bob (and his minions ) to send some orange touch-up paint, respray to the outermost trim line and be done with it....

Barry
No way Barry! he should send it back for replacement. it would be unacceptable to have the customer fix any defects from manufacturing unless there was an agreement to compensate the customer financially or by other incentives.

Alan
Old 07-09-2008, 04:13 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Last i heard Comp Arf built the Bobcat for BVM
Old 07-09-2008, 04:51 PM
My Feedback: (99)

Quite honestly I’m surprised to hear this about BVM. When I purchased my last Kingcat (BVM Jet #3 for me) and the paint on the nose cone did not match the paint color on the fuse I told Patty and she said to send it back for re-painting. I’m just wondering if there is not another side to this story that we are not hearing…
Old 07-09-2008, 05:01 PM

He then says that if I return them to him they will probably get damaged in the post.

Here you go LGM. He says it right there. Sending crap through the mail is a risk.

Like other people here, I've had nothing but great interactions with Patty. I've never spoken to Uncle Bob, only with Patty.

Patty Rocks! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Raf
Old 07-09-2008, 05:35 PM

OK, jclittle....

I collected my BC last Monday. By Wednesday I had the tanks assembled and all the servo hatches drilled and screwed. I was so pleased with the model, that I took a wing, a boom and the taiplane round to show a friend of mine. The first thing he did was to pull the wing out of it's bag and notice the mismatch paint on the leading edge!
As I had laid the wing flat on a piece of foam on my workbench to work on it, I had not previously noticed the mismatch.
I then called BVM and spoke to a lady initially, then was passed on to BV.
He asked what the problem was so I told him. He then replied as in my first post. He also suggested that I could paint the leading edges silver so to cover up the mismatch. If I wanted to paint a model, I would have bought the white version.

As BV said, "The model is assembled by humans and we all make mistakes". I agree with this, but, if it is a mistake, surely i'm not doing any wrong by asking for an exchange set of wings??

If I bought an Aston Martin (I wish!) and the door was a different colour shade to the front wing, sure, it doesn't effect the performance or handling in any way, but it's not right and I would expect it to be put right.

I really cannot understand why there is a problem with getting the fault put right??

Old 07-09-2008, 06:11 PM

Nothing wrong with trying to get what you think is fair. You should be totally satisfied. I think we can all agree on that. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Raf
Old 07-09-2008, 06:23 PM
My Feedback: (99)

Worzey...I totally agree with you that you are owed a fix on this, BV's answer was totally NG. Call back and speak with Patty, she is awesome. BV must have been having one of those days.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:15 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I like BV's idea of the chrome / silver tape on the leading edge. No shipping, No waiting...not that big a deal. Shoot in a few weeks it is possible your going to get hanger rash of your own. Life is too short for little things like this!

Notice the leading edges on my MIG...they were a one evening fix instead of repainting the wings! Got to fly it the next...day!
Lee H. DeMary
AMA 36099
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57857.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	987122  
Old 07-10-2008, 12:57 AM

You're right. The chrome/silver finish on the leading edge looks quite effective, but i've never spent £2.5k on a model airframe before and I feel that for the money, it should be right.

I emailed Bob and Patty yesterday, so hopefully I will recieve a reply very soon.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:07 AM
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 3DHELINUT

ORIGINAL: dbarrym

Barry
No way Barry! he should send it back for replacement. it would be unacceptable to have the customer fix any defects from manufacturing unless there was an agreement to compensate the customer financially or by other incentives.

Alan
Alan, I agree, especially with a BVM kit... one of the key factors that differentiates BVM from the Asian suppliers (and justifies the much higher price tag) is customer service...the other, engineering excellence, is even more important, IMHO. My response was somewhat tongue in cheek....

Guess Bob was having an off day. My own experience with BVM (4 kits and many hardware/accessory orders over the last 7 years) has been outstanding.

Barry
Old 07-10-2008, 06:09 PM

Do BVM generally take a few days to reply to emails, due to being busy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.