Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Asheville, North Carolina Jet Flyers

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Asheville, North Carolina Jet Flyers

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:20 AM
two dogs
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Asheville, North Carolina Jet Flyers

Hello ....any jet flying fields in or near Asheville?.........may be moving to the area.

thanks for info

wdc
Old 07-09-2008, 10:53 AM
AnthonyW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Asheville, North Carolina Jet Flyers

I think there are some in Hickory and possibly Charlotte. I am all the way in Raleigh. Then I know of some across the line near Bristal, TN.
Good luck
Old 07-09-2008, 11:00 AM
F-15 Fan

I don't fly jets, but there is a field in Concorde by the Lowes speedway that has a paved runway and is quite large and open. It looks okay to fly jets there from what I've seen.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:54 AM
USSCAT

I used to live in Asheville, we always strugled with having a regular feild for prop planes. I have not lived there for a while but still have friends in the area. There was one guy that had a DF Jet and he used to fly in SC. Hope someone from Ashville area responds, but I do not believe there is much there.

Regards,
Mike
Old 07-09-2008, 02:15 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Sorry Im no help about fields near Ashville but I can tell you that, unfortunately, the field at the Lowes Motor Speedway is NOT acceptable for jets. There is a lot of room out there but the new section of tarmac is short and narrow. 12 ft x 300 or so.
The runway there is actually part of a parking lot road that had some fresh asphalt laid down to serve as a runway.
The grass area IMO is too rough for retracts as well.

I dont think the field in Huntersville, NC (just north of Charlotte on I-77) is really acceptable either. Its a paved surface, 40 x 400 ft. The field was redone earlier this year and while the runway is nice and smooth the grass area is bad. The gound wasnt prepped well, prior to grass, to make it smooth and so you really have no run-off areas. Leaving the tarmac would result in gear damage at anything more than walking speed.

Regards.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

I'm from Charlotte and I haven't found a good field here. My in-laws live in Hendersonville and I haven't found a good field around there either. I have found a good one in Hickory though, I'm not sure about the actual size of the runway but it looks to be around 500'. Right now my only flying jet is a TGA F-15 which I fly off of a grass runway at my field in York, SC although I'm building an Avonds F-14 that will require something like the Hickory runway.

David
Old 07-09-2008, 11:11 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Guys,

Our locate field has a 40'X400' paved runway. There are flyers who have successfully flown a twin turbine-powered F-15(converted Byron F15), Yellow F-18 (1/6 scale), Hotspot, Rookie, Boomerang XL, Skymaster MB339, Velox, BVM F-86, Kingcat, and the list goes on. So a
40'X 400' paved runway may not be ideal, but it is adequate.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:02 AM
JetTracks

I don't know about the Asheville area but have checked out all the fields in or near Charlotte, N.C. After several months of looking around I still haven't found anything that is acceptable for jets. Good luck with your search and please post if you find something!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:58 AM
two dogs
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks Guys for your responses...........guess jets aren't that popular in the Asheville area.............but if you don't have a large enough field to safely fly from.....then no chance to catch on

Thanks again for your response
dc
Old 07-10-2008, 12:26 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

This site may interest you.

www.wham-rc.org

Cheers.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:13 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a member at WHAM. There are two guys flying turbines up here. The runway is an old 1/8 concrete dragstrip with a grass strip right next to it. The concrete is quite clean but is developing cracks with age. PM me if you have any questions about the club and field.
Wham is about an hour drive from Asheville, east on I-40.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
adam80821

There is a field in sc just across the border about 30 minutes from hendersonville