Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Landing light on the F9F Panther?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Landing light on the F9F Panther?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:42 AM
icepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing light on the F9F Panther?

Hi guys -
can any of you tell me where the landing light on the Grumman F9F Panther is placed?
I have looked at quite a few pictures, but so far, I've had no luck finding it! HELP!!

Thanks!
Tor
Old 09-25-2008, 07:54 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RE: Landing light on the F9F Panther?

The Panther had taxi and landing ligjts on both the right and left wing. Here is a pic of mine.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45120.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1040674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95124.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1040675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32693.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1040676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85952.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1040677  
Old 09-25-2008, 08:34 AM
icepilot

Thanks, Kevin!
Just what I was looking for!!

Tor
Old 09-25-2008, 11:12 AM
HalH
My Feedback: (12)

Although landing lights were installed on many Navy a/c, they were not generally used. The lights would blind the LSO ( Landing Signal Officer ).
Old 09-25-2008, 08:22 PM
BOB MOORE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was a Airframe Mechanic on Panthers and Cougars.> i never saw any lights on wing leadings edges. The wing has leading edge slats that work in and out. BOB MOORE
Old 09-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Bob,

Are you certain about leading edge slats on the Panther? I have never seen anything that would suggest that they had them.

In the first photo you can clearly see the leading edge light out near the tip tank. The second photo shows a closeup of the right wing leading edge light. The third photo shows the landing lights on the left side located just inside the wing fence and not on the leading edge. Even though these photos clearly show the lights, I found others of full scale panthers where they were not present. Perhaps some specific versions of the panther had the leading edge slats while others did not. The fourth photo shows clearly that this Panther could not have movable leading edge slats:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77123.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1041135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95443.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1041136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47151.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1041137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25794.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1041138  
Old 09-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi guys

Here is the "official " info I have from the " Naval Fighters Collection Panther Development, Testing and Structures " series. Most of the series was written by Corky Meyer lead test pilot of the Grumman Panther program. If you look at the photos supplied by Steve above you will note on the starboard side of the wing a light. This was known as the wing position light. The port light located near the root / wing juncture was called the " approach light "There was only one of each. A common error by modelers is to put an approach light on the starboard as well. That is incorrect as it held the gun camera. An earlier post indicated that approach lights were not used. He is correct that in many cases they were covered up. But they were on each varient supplied by Grumman. Leading edge slats. There is clear evidence that F9F 2 - 5 had leading edge slats. It is interesting to note that the launch covers in the above photos extend over the natural aluminum leading edge. I wonder if this is purely for display as phots I have suggest that the launch pads / covers were located further back.

Regards
Dean Wichmann
Old 09-26-2008, 02:37 PM
BOB MOORE

Hey Guys I guess I have been sniffing too much Elmers glue about the Slats or just a senior moment. www.blueangels.org
click on site map then open airfraft flown look at Plane number # 6 picture with folded wings. can you see any lights? BOb
Old 09-26-2008, 02:38 PM
BOB MOORE

The planes we had in 1952 -1954 were F9F-5 Bob
Old 09-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bob

Look closely at the wing root / wing junction on the port side and you will note a small square. That is where the approach light is. On the starboard wing there does not appear to be a wing position light. This could be for a number of reasons ( picture quality and we do know that Panthers flown by the Blue Angles were slightly modified). The F9F - 5 did generally have wing position lights and approach lights as indicated in my previous post. Keep in mind that from November 1947 - January 1953 1385 Panthers were built. Over service life many would have had small modications done as required by individual squadrons. I have come across some F9F - 3 models that do not appear to show wing position lights. I will need to research that further.

The key here guys is that there were general requirements made of Grumman by the Navy in the design and ongoing development of the Panther. The approach and wing position lights issue spoken of in this thread is well documented and supported throughout F9F 2 - 5 developement. To do the job right - modelers need to take a specific individual example and copy that model with all its in service modifications.

Once again check out the three part series of Naval Fighters " Panther " published 2002 by Steve Ginter and Corwin Meyer. There is the entire history of development, testing, structures, 3 views, specific squadron and pilot comments.

Cheers
Dean Wichmann
PSTJets N.A. Panther rep