Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Air Trap

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Air Trap

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:46 AM
freddd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Trap

Motors & Rotors in the UK have been suggesting to me to use the following air trap (done by MAP) instead of the BVM UAT. Does anyone have good or bad experiences with it ? It is based on the principal of having the clunk centered in the middle of the bottle. No sac as per BVM.
http://www.modelaviationproducts.com...cessories.html
Old 11-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Air Trap

It seems more like a regular hopper tank than an air trap.

I do have experience with and can highly recommend the Hanson Super Trap if you are looking for an alternative.

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1235
Old 11-03-2008, 10:56 AM
freddd

As I understand it, it is not a regular hoper tank but a centered pickup with a felt filter
Old 11-03-2008, 11:03 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: freddd

As I understand it, it is not a regular hoper tank but a centered pickup with a felt filter
Its a paper filter, and I belive it would be best installed vertically so that any air is at the top of the tank and no where near the filter which is permenatly in the middle of the tank.

Mike
Old 11-03-2008, 11:52 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It will work fine. I have been making my own for several years now, virtually identical to the MAP design. One advantage over the BVM or Hanson is that you don't have to go through any shaking or elaborate purging process to release those tiny air bubbles that get stuck in the sack to be released later.

Joe
Old 11-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

One advantage over the BVM or Hanson is that you don't have to go through any shaking or elaborate purging process to release those tiny air bubbles that get stuck in the sack to be released later.
I guess I have been lucky since I use both and have never had to do any shaking or purging of air or air bubbles.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:43 PM
NightFlyer1

I have used the MAP air trap in my boomer, rookie and two other jets! Works great!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Where can you buy the MAP? I traditionally make my own using a pleated paper filter and a Dubro 20 - 24 oz tank, but there is not really enough room for that in the airframe I am getting ready.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:52 PM
NightFlyer1

ORIGINAL: Woketman

Where can you buy the MAP? I traditionally make my own using a pleated paper filter and a Dubro 20 - 24 oz tank, but there is not really enough room for that in the airframe I am getting ready.

http://www.modelaviationproducts.com...cessories.html
Old 11-04-2008, 05:57 PM
lozza1965

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

being using one of these in both my jets with no problems what so ever

lozza
Old 11-04-2008, 06:00 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Wocketman,

I make my own pleated paper filter UAT's using 4 oz. Nalgene bottles. I've used both the rectangular one (same as BVM uses) and the round one with good results. If you wish to buy one already made check out the link in post #1 or you can get one from Dreamworks (he doesn't say it's a MAP but it looks the same) http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1004

Joe
Old 11-04-2008, 06:06 PM
MLefebvre

~S~

I have use 3 of those tanks with high performance turbine ( jetcat P-180, Behotec JB-180 ) and 3D capable aircraft with total success almost 200 flights without a single flame out cause by this tank. it`s a very good product .

Martin
maac 17997
Old 11-04-2008, 10:19 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I have used my home made one and the one that is exactly as shown on a P-60, Wren SS, Falcon and Super Eagle with never a bubble. This is the best type in my opinion and you can mount it in any position as long as the the vent nipple is up while filling.
Mine are 4oz. size and it will suck down to less than 2 oz before letting air in.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:02 AM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

I use the MAP air traps in all my jets. I think the Dreamworks air trap is the MAP unit. Never had an issue with them at all. The best thing is if they ever get dirty somehow, you can just unscrew the tank's top and back flush the pleated paper filter. I doubt you can clean the BVM bags . The MAP air trap has a pressed in hex head inside the two nipples so if they ever need tightening you don't need to go into the tank to do it either! I use the MAP gear too by the way... I sound like a salesman here...nope just a happy customer!
Old 11-05-2008, 09:17 AM
B777

I look for these characteristics in a header tank for turbine application:

1. Tank must be sturdy and not deform with changing fuel pressure (this will make your fuel pump very happy)
2. 100% air tight
3. Large area of absorbing material to soak in fuel and eliminate bubbles
4. Large 6mm input/output lines
5. Can be mounted in any positions (except inverted !!! )

Cheers,
Kraivuth S.