Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Composite ARF Mig29

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Composite ARF Mig29

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:12 AM
didierdb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite ARF Mig29

Hi guys,
Really interesting what you guys are doing. I´m planning to start later this year on that fabulous bird. I have already been in contact with Peter from Intairco and he´s a really helpful guy. I will order those LG doors. I have also PM´d David with regards to the MIG-29 cockpit. I hope he´s still producing that very nice cockpit. All thanks to this forum. Thanks guys!!!
Regarding the color schemes, below some sites which could help you to choose one.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww4/f/39

http://geocities.com/meco17br/Mig/29a/index.html

Didier
Old 01-27-2009, 04:03 AM
Ro

John,
looking from the rear forward the right elevator was angled a little to low on mine. very easy to fix if you have to.

Didier
Thanks for the links. I found another good painting reference image now
You will love the cockpit from David for sure!!

Ro
Old 01-27-2009, 08:39 AM
hemi

Didier
I've owned kit 18 for a long time but never got any further than cutting out the doors. In fact I flew a little last year but not much and have not spent any time working on models. Ro's thread on the Fulcrum build has been great for me. I cleared the bench off and have been building almost everyday for three weeks. The Mig is a very intense build, but very rewarding. I'm enjoying it very much. So clear the bench and start building your kit. Since I retired I really don't like to set deadlines anymore. I spent too many years practically living in the shop so I could have a jet ready for Superman and that pretty much burned me out. No deadlines and modeling became fun again.
I do have a goal of taking my Mig to Florida jets someday and maybe if I'm lucky having Wolfgang check out my Mig and potentially do the first flight to make sure its OK. Anyway have fun.
Thanks for the color charts.
Best rergards
Old 01-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Ro,

Yeah pretty alarming how easy it is to splinter that carbon tube.....but that is the nature of the material. I would recommend that you reinforce the inboard end of the pivot tube with some circumferential carbon roving to prevent the forces generated by the stab servo from initiating a split in the inboard end of the elevator pivot tube. I thin Peter also did this on his mig.

Keep the pictures coming!

Regards,

Craig.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:20 PM
didierdb

Hi John,
Seems that building the MIG will require some hours. Will finish my plane for the coming season first before I will start with the MIG for the coming...... x years [&:]. I will need to find the balance between flying, building and 2 ladies (a full scale one and tiny scale version ) ...and work of course.

I already selected my color scheme.

[img][/img]

I have already ordered the LG doors and already have the MIG-29 wheels from Glennis.

Regards,
Didier
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23721.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1121073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22468.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1121074  
Old 01-27-2009, 03:01 PM
hemi

Didier
Sounds like you have a great family, me too. Do you like the Glennis wheels, I have a set coming and can't wait to see them.

I love the camo scheme, did you get that from a website. I already did the 604 East Germany paint scheme on an old Topgun Mig, yours is close but what I like is fact that its a soviet fighter.

Enjoy the Mig build

Old 01-27-2009, 03:27 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Didier,

Doesn't Ralle have the decal set for number 44? Nice plane.

Oh and I got a couple of those "tiny scale models" at home as well!! (and Fiberclassics MiG-29 SN 22!)
Old 01-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Paul Buckrell
My Feedback: (2)

Hemi

Ralf Schneider at Tailormade has already done all the decals and paint masks preparation for the Eastr German JG73 aircraft #604 in its final flight scheme for me. I haven't ordered them into production because I been slack building my kit. Ralle can also mix all the paint colours for you according to the Eat German paint codes if you want.

Regards
Paul
Old 01-28-2009, 04:43 AM
didierdb

John,
I really like the Glennis wheels. They are as close as it can be to the real thing.
Just send me PM with your mail details. I will forward you all the Russian camo details I found so far.

Matt,
I didn’t ask Ralle yet if he got the decals for 44 red. He has them for 44 blue. Will ask him soon. Anyway, even if he doesn’t have them he’s able to produce them as long as I can provide him with the correct specifications for 44 red. This will not be a big problem as Ralle already has the Russian Air Force maintenance nomenclature as well as 29 red. If I combine both sets the only decal that I’m missing is the white MOCKBA decal which has to be placed on the left side of the fuselage.

Did somebody already try to replicate the mudguard which can be found on the front gear?
I’m also trying to find the Unveiled Secrets MiG-29 CD from KREATIV multimedia.

Regards,
Didier
Old 01-28-2009, 03:55 PM
hemi

I've been making progress. Right now I'm happy with basic construction I'll finness the fit and finish prior to paint work.

Here is the canopy and lift cylinder. Its a 5" UPS cylinder. The lower attachment point ended up right over the attachment point for the nose gear. The attachment is a carbon bracket from BVM. I've got ideas for a front lock mechanism but I want to wrap up the basic stuff first.

Next I finished the pitot tube.

The turbine housings were next, each one took the better part of a day. I waited to take the pictures first before I finish all of the carbon dowels off with aeropoxy. I uses a small balsa spacer under each dowel to get them in the right position. I included pictures of the layout for the 3mm wooden tonque used to hold the housings in place. Pretty easy work.

The nacelles have the inlets finished and next I'll work of the intake doors. The last shot is for inspriration of things to come.
Best regards

Name:	Jh16071.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1121859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73124.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1121860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18420.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1121861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98724.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1121862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98515.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1121863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58982.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1121864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92183.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1121865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27451.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1121866  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33186.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1121867   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10593.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1121868  
Old 01-28-2009, 04:32 PM
hemi

Question, do all of Mig 29 A models have flair and chaff diespeners in the vertical dorsal fins?

Also While I had the model assembled I center and taped the front of each elevon in place. The left side looks fine but the right side at the aft root lower. Has anyone else seen this.

Best regards

Name:	Qo39895.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1121888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74992.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1121889  
Old 01-28-2009, 05:18 PM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: didierdb

I’m also trying to find the Unveiled Secrets MiG-29 CD from KREATIV multimedia.
I have it but unfortunately cannot find it. It was not very helpful (although it does have some low res videos of the gear retracting). If I can find it you can borrow it no problem

The best book is the large Yefim Gordon book.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:13 PM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: hemi

Question, do all of Mig 29 A models have flair and chaff diespeners in the vertical dorsal fins?

Also While I had the model assembled I center and taped the front of each elevon in place. The left side looks fine but the right side at the aft root lower. Has anyone else seen this.

Best regards

Hello,

As to the first question, I think the short answer is "yes". The dispensers were added during the development program prior to production, I think at the same time they deleted the ventral fins and increased the rudder chord. This is for the model 9-12 (or the "A" model as you refer to it)

As for the other question, I know there has been talk about removing the bearing tube from one side to correct some alignment issue, but I am not sure of the specifics.

Regards,
Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Ro

yes, I had to correct the tube on the right. I think there are pictures in this thread that show the correct or better position. I think Craig posted the image. Will try and post a few images with my elevators in, so you can see the fix new position a little closer.

Looking very good john Your nacelles came out perfect!

Looks like there is a big mibo A-10 in the background!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: hemi

I've been making progress. Right now I'm happy with basic construction I'll finness the fit and finish prior to paint work.

Here is the canopy and lift cylinder. Its a 5" UPS cylinder. The lower attachment point ended up right over the attachment point for the nose gear. The attachment is a carbon bracket from BVM. I've got ideas for a front lock mechanism but I want to wrap up the basic stuff first.

Next I finished the pitot tube.

The turbine housings were next, each one took the better part of a day. I waited to take the pictures first before I finish all of the carbon dowels off with aeropoxy. I uses a small balsa spacer under each dowel to get them in the right position. I included pictures of the layout for the 3mm wooden tonque used to hold the housings in place. Pretty easy work.

The nacelles have the inlets finished and next I'll work of the intake doors. The last shot is for inspriration of things to come.
Best regards

Looks great! What F-14 is that in the background i see
Old 01-28-2009, 09:20 PM
mr_matt

Who cares about the A-10 or the F-14, where can I get a clean table like that?!?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:23 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Who cares about the A-10 or the F-14, where can I get a clean table like that?!?

HAHAHA... i could use as shop. Fill with nice stuff like that!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 PM
hemi

OK you guys, the tables only clean because I moved all the boxes of Mig parts to the bench you can't see to the right. I try to put my tools back after I finish a major task before starting on the next part of the project. Helps me organise my thoughts on what has to be done next.

The A10 is a Gen 1 Mibo A10, The F14 in the background is 1/10 scale based on the semi kit that Jet Hangar used to sell. Glass fuse, canopy, wing cores and thats it. Ducted fan, never really finished it. There pictures of it in My Models.

Ro, I'll check out the right side elevon tommorow. Photobucket worked pretty good.
Best regards
Old 01-29-2009, 03:53 PM
hemi

Been working on the intake doors today, this has been fun. Question. How are the intake door pivot pin held in place. The manual states they are removable for service. I found two of these pins but so far have not figuired out were the go. Any help would be appreciated. I'll post door pictures tommorow.

Best regards

John

Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Ro

I looked at it for a bit and decided to not worry about making my intake doors removable. I did not see a need and did not like that the shaft would be sticking out. The whole intake comes out anyway in the event you need to work on the door ram. I dont personally feel I will need to remove the lower door to work on it.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:09 PM
maralomar

Amazing Kit i really like it, when you are planning to fly it ???
Old 01-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Ro

Hi Marshad, I hope to have mine ready in a few months. Lots of work on this kit but when its done its all worth the wait.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:44 PM
hemi

Marshad
Ro will finish his way before me. I'm a slow builder. Thats good because we will all benifit from his experience setting control throws and CG.

Here is my progress on the intake doors. Every project on this plane seems to take a day sometimes two. But it sure is a fun build.

The ram support plywood has a balsa block added to contour fit the inside of the nacelle and help position the support.

Hope this helps anyone out there working on this kit. The doors are real tough to get a tight fit on the sides because the thin glass intake liner distorts in areas when you epoxy it n place. I used ply supports and clamps to make sure the nacelle opeing did not distort whn I installed the intake line.

Best regards

Old 01-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Ro

looking good John!

been working on mine today
just getting everything in place for the hydraulic system install.

Cheers,
Ro
Old 01-30-2009, 08:34 PM
hemi

Ro

Did you do the intake doors yet? How tight is the side gaps? I know you cut the louvers out, that's coming soon. I can tighten the sides up a bit but the problem is the fit is snug when the door is open. If I make them tighter I might have a problem. I'll detail the doors after the basic construction work.
I think I might do the speed brake next after I finish both intake doors. At that point I can do the hydraulics.

Best regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.