Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jets and Money

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jets and Money

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:44 PM
LN-JET

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jets and Money

ORIGINAL: powerjets

Scaleking, your runway is about 650 feet long and is semi paved, no grass ?

what does this mean, semi paved, no grass.....
cuz if its pebbles, rocks, sand or so its noy advisable to use for jets
No problem, but be prepared that things wear out quicker.
Go for:
Large wheels.
An airplane where the front wheel don't throw rocks straight into the intake.
FOD screen.
Clean and inspect regularly.
Touch up stone chips:-)

Lars
Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Wayne22

Hows the weather up there in AB? I used to live up that way a few years ago in Lacombe. Now I am back in the Bahamas. I don't really miss Lacombe.....but I do miss the winters. Having to wear touk and big jackets!! LOL
Hey! That's just down the road....but yes, it is still stinkin' cold up here!! Good thing we have all this oil to burn to keep warm
Old 01-11-2009, 08:55 AM
K-A

Hi, go for a Boomerang sprint as first jet, well flying and undemanding on type of runway, it will give you loads of fun as a starter jet, after that go for an more scalelike but sturdy jet as for example the Tutor or Albatros.
Complicated landinggears and heavy jets are a nightmare on a non 100% smoth runway.

I started my jetflying whith an Harpoon from Graupner whith a Jetcat P70 turbine, the Jetcat turbines work extremly well and are easy to handle.

BRG K-Ã…
Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 PM
RCWI

ScaleKing... WOW.. I just found this thread.. You and I are from the same town and we fly at the same field. The introduction states alot of facts that i was unaware of. It suggests that you have builted all thoes planes and have flown them enough to have an idea of their flying habbits. I thought you bought thoes planes used from RC UNIVERSE, and were already built, and the ones that were built here on the island had short and fatal flights, the P51 survived cause we never got the engine to run.
If you have conqured all these planes like it sounds. Then you have been holding out on us guys at the field, and you need to come out and show us some of the flying stuff thoes planes are capable of...
Old 09-06-2009, 07:18 PM
ScaleKing

MR. RCWI... read the starting post again and then edit your comments!!! Not sure I follow your FACTS??!! Actually I will post it here again for you to see. Read it closely..I never implied conquering anything.

"Hello Guys

I have a question. If money is not an issue what is the best way to get into jets? I am not one for the look-a-like!! Like my name suggest, I like SCALE MODELS. I have flown and built a few models. A H9 Cessna 182, H9 P-51, H9 Sundowner, Aeroworks 100cc Yak, H9 Edge 540 and H9 Extra 330. I don't consider myself to be an expert pilot but I can hold my own. I have done a little aerobatic flying as you can see from the models I have had but I never got into it seriously. Is that something that I should perfect before I consider jets? Is that the natural progression or can I go from P-51 to F-14 Tomcat?

Please give me HONEST answers!!

SK
Old 09-06-2009, 09:10 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Well Their are people with money and do not possess Jets, and their are people who have jets and No money , Only the Chinese have both. Jets and Money...
Aftermath of a worse case Jet disaster In a lot of cases are total loss. Radio, Turbine and Its electronics, and retracts, are simply gone.
But Nothings in R/C even comes close to Soloing a JET.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:17 PM
polishedbrother

[youtube][/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGJTCfMW7QI

heres a money saving answer.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

heard at the field today," Life is short buy what you want!" and the reply," Life is shorter if you starve to death......."
Old 09-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Molar mender

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: polishedbrother

[youtube][/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGJTCfMW7QI

heres a money saving answer.

It gets better..................I remember those tweaking days.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCX9D...eature=channel
Old 09-07-2009, 01:16 AM
tuan lam
My Feedback: (1)

unsafe position to test run the engine specialy APC prop !! one strip fall down forward you be gone!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 03:08 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it was a train wreck waitiing to happen......scarey yet fascinating
Old 09-07-2009, 03:39 AM
darryltarr
My Feedback: (2)

SK,

In my opinion:

1. The BEST Scale Jet Model ever is the Skygate BAE Hawk.
Put a big turbine in it (P-200) and DON'T try to keep the weight down below 20KG's, if you build it well the dry weight will be about 23KG's.

2. The BEST Sport Jet Model ever is the BVM Ultra Bandit. Perfect for a P-180 and a smoke system.

3. The BEST Weekend Warrior Jet Model is the BVM BobCat or KingCat, both outstanding jets. BobCat is perfect with a P-70 and the KingCat is perfect with a P-160.

Having a minimum of THREE jets, all serviceable and in good flying condition is a good position to be in as it gives you a lot of flexibility. I have 7 jets and it gets quite interesting keeping up with all the maintenance.

Enjoy,

Darryl Tarr
BVM Field Rep
Old 09-07-2009, 11:48 AM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

http://www.ncspacecowboys.com/videos/mike%20saleeby's%20jet.wmv

If the link works its my Reaction. To me this model has a retro military look to it and and is sturdy as all get out. I love the scale jets with all my heart but I wanted the odds in my favor for my first jet. But it did have to look "military" and be low maintenance. Forty-one flights since May and all is good so far
Old 09-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Jack Skip

ScaleKing,

You have been given great advice by the members at RCU. But please be careful, this advice was given largely based upon how you represented your experience level.

I was your flight instructor end of 2006 and early 2007. In my opinion you have vastly overstated your experience level; your profile, signature, list of planes, IMAC # etc. The advice given may assume you have had experiences you have not had yet. Like flying warbirds and speed planes.

If you want my suggestions to follow the path to jets lets take this offline. You have my email.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:22 PM
ScaleKing

Thank you to all those who answered my question.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:47 PM
RCWI

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

Of the planes you listed, only the P-51 has retracts and flaps.... take it and add 3 or 4 pounds to get the wing loading up...... next raise the idle speed of your engine about 3000 RPM....... then, if you have a radio that can adjust servo speeds, slow your throttle servo down so that it takes about 4 seconds to go from idle (the new idle!) to full power...and the same going the other way.......and finally, take out the fuel tank and put a smaller one in that will only hold enough fuel for 7 minutes flying - no more.....

Now go fly it and see how you like it...ignoring the awful noise it makes, of course.......

Seriously you will need to alter your flying style.. you will need to get used to higher wing loadings than the lightly loaded Hanger9 birds, a higher residual thrust from the engine which make approaches and landings more challenging than what you are use to. A very slow throttle response relative to what you are used to....and a very limited fuel endurance!

It can be done, and it is a lot of fun!! But is different than flying sport or sport scale planes. There is a some new ground to cover, and some learnin' to be done.
Hey Scaleking:
Dude I aint tryin to make a big debate over this. I just found this thread to be very funny. I guess cause I just find humor in watching people act this way. ïŠ ïŠ After all, we are flying buddies at the same airfield.
Anyway, I have a quick observation. Do you think that Wayne22 would have posted this reply if he knew you never flew your P-51? His advice was based on what you told him.
Please give an Honest answer
Old 09-07-2009, 05:45 PM
u4eake

I really learned a lot from flying small but fast ducted fan jets, before moving to fuel jets. Get a het-rc F-16 or similar 150-200 km/h ducted fan jet and have a go with that. Already plenty of fun and you'll learn to react quick, think ahead and to go smooth and easy on the controls. Furthermore a crash won't be so catastrophic by far.
A scale jet requires perfect landings every time. There's no margin for error, cause the slightest error will cost you money, but more importantly it will cost you time to repair.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:50 PM
ScaleKing

Thanks man.. I was actually thinking more along those lines any way. I have been considering one of those from Eflite.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Jack Skip

Cool. Bring in 2. I'll try one.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:39 AM
u4eake

Just be sure to read up a bit or search for some video of the jets flying. There are a lot of ready to fly EDF jets that fly, but well, that's about it. A lot of them are slow or don't fly very well unless you update them or put stronger motors in with heavier batteries.
I know the phase3 F-16 flies very well out of the box and is the fastest 3cell lipo foam jet I've seen so far. A few clubmembers have one and 1 of them even fitter led afterburners to it. Pretty neat and flies very good.
A het-rc f-16 on 4cell lipo is a good bit faster still and not foam but polyester / fiberglass, but it requires more building then the phase 3.

I don't know about the eflite DF jets, but they look good on the pictures :-)

Found a video about the eflite F15 : [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPV-os0wxNY[/youtube]

It looks good, but my guess is that 70mph topspeed is not going to give you the trill you're looking for. I estimate the phase3 F-16 to go 90mph which is better, but I think something like the het-rc F16 on 4S is more what you're looking for :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH8gImV3bw0[/youtube]

If you look at the video, you'll see that it's important to learn to remember the orientation of the plane, cause often you won't be able to see where it's heading, or your eyes will deceive you. It's also important to learn to handle the speed, fly smooth curves and keep the plane fast, cause no speed = no air over control surfaces = no control. All quite different from 3D flying, but very exciting and adrenaline guaranteed !
Old 09-08-2009, 08:38 AM
ScaleKing

Thanks
Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Go with the BVM Ultra Bandit. Those $20K will open a new window of unlimited costumer service to get you flying, and you will gain at least 20 new unwanted friends.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:41 PM
RCWI

Scaleking you kno im not really a Jet type of flyer, but I have been thinking of an eflight I saw a wile back. Are you referring to the red and white one with retracts? I think this one would be a pretty good one for us to start with, based on our flying skills. Even if ya dash these in the groung, its not so hurtful on the pocket$ When are you planning to to get yours?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:08 PM
ScaleKing

Next month I guess
Old 10-27-2009, 04:34 PM
ScaleKing

ORIGINAL: u4eake

I really learned a lot from flying small but fast ducted fan jets, before moving to fuel jets. Get a het-rc F-16 or similar 150-200 km/h ducted fan jet and have a go with that. Already plenty of fun and you'll learn to react quick, think ahead and to go smooth and easy on the controls. Furthermore a crash won't be so catastrophic by far.
A scale jet requires perfect landings every time. There's no margin for error, cause the slightest error will cost you money, but more importantly it will cost you time to repair.
Well I took your advise and I got a Sapac T-45 EDF. I will be building it in the next week or so. I will post vids once I get it up for you guys to rate!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.