Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Change in audible pitch? Reason???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Change in audible pitch? Reason???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:59 AM
FLY200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change in audible pitch? Reason???

Hi guys. I feel silly asking this question, but need some help.

After a recent approved local fix to my Super Eagle, the pitch has changed. It's very cool........now it does the DEEP DRONE when I power down on throttle and the jet continues at speed. This is neat and what I hear from the JC turbines. However, my Super Eagle did not do this before. It made more of a whistle and a "whisping" type pitch. Never the deep drone we all like.

The approved repair had us take off the front cover and re-install. My initial reaction is the casing and turbine are more air tight and may have been loose before. But, I don't have enough experience to rest on my assumptions alone. Any input from you all would be appreciated. My starter motor has just slipped and sometimes does not catch to spin up the turbine on cool down?? I can fix this but wanted to share all the relevant info. Eric Clapp has already emailed me with some tips. Using his help with yours helps me to be safe.

Need to know if I am missing any possible issues?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:22 PM
cy paul

Default RE: Change in audible pitch? Reason???

Just taking a guess, but maybe it was out of balance before?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:51 PM
FLY200

Found it. The metal bands were slightly loose holding the turbine in place. A half turn here and there and the drone went away. It was actually vibration. At least now I know how to make that cool drone sound.

Also put some Singer sewing oil on my starter assembly like Eric suggested and it too was fixed! Thanks Eric.

Great flights today. Turbine likes this cool air.

Andy
Old 11-24-2008, 07:59 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Once again superb support from the Jet Central team (Eric C.)

Old 11-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: FLY200

Also put some Singer sewing oil on my starter assembly like Eric suggested and it too was fixed!

Andy
Andy, where you place oil on starter, an how much ? Is Singer only type ?
Old 12-25-2008, 11:46 PM
FLY200

Hi Ed. Late reply I know. Just reviewing old posts. I place the Singer sewing oil in the oval slots that extend when you rotate the roller part back and forth. 2 drops in each slot works for me. I work it back and forth and can feel the friction go away as it lubricates. Not sure if Singer is the only oil to use, but it's what I was told by Eric Clapp first and it works. I don't have the experience to offer you more advice. Sorry. Hope you have success if you are needing the same fix.

Andy
Old 12-26-2008, 07:38 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My JJ-1400 sounded like that when it lost half a turbine blade. Engine still ran "fine" for the next 2 flights until I found the problem :-)
Just lost some thrust.

Check all the blades, and see if there is anything missing. There should not be any vibration at all.