Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Jet Oil alternative >

Jet Oil alternative

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Oil alternative

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jet Oil alternative

Hello Sara, how you doing??

MOBIL DTE LIGHT is so good than the MOBIL JET II ??? MOBIL DTE have the same characteristics of lubrication ????

regards

jose [8D]
Old 12-02-2008, 10:13 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I have sent an email to the US distributor for the turbonycoil 600, no response yet.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:18 AM
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: patf

I have sent an email to the US distributor for the turbonycoil 600, no response yet.
Let us know when/if you find something.
Thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 09:03 AM

Here is the email response I received. Aviall's are all over the place so it shouldnt be hard to find.

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>
Thanks for your interest in our product TURBONYCOIL 600 (TN600). We are not familiar with the particular application you cited in your note (JETCATUSA). A review of their website indicates that these are very small turbine engines used in unspecified applications, in which the oil and fuel are mixed together. The only information about the lubricants is a reference to “synthetic oilâ€. Unfortunately this classification does not provide us with sufficient information to determine whether our product is appropriate for this application.

Should you wish to try our product in these applications, TN600 is available from our distributor AVIALL (www. aviall.com) with outlets in many cities including Dallas. The smallest package offered for this product is 1-QT round metal cans.

I would appreciate any additional information you can supply about the application. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance

Regards,

Harry Pinchevsky
NYCO AMERICA
Tel 908-512-9281
Fax 908-575-0961

Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 AM
My Feedback: (2)

MSC has 5 gal. buckets of DTE Light in stock, w/free shipping through the end of this year. That works out to a little over 5 bucks a quart for [link=http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PARTPG=IMLMKD&PMPXNO=1965963]DTE Light[/link]. And you can still get the [link=http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=2011981&PMT4NO=29985560]5 gal.[/link] dispenser I use to decant the stuff; makes it pretty convenient.

Aobtw, to add to what others have commented on wrt OPs: I was a crew dog for some time in closed cabin military jets - a number of years after I quit flying I lost my colon to "gastrointestinal problems." Now I just have Crohns disease. But this is not about me - to all those who pooh-pooh this nasty OP stuff, do ya think the dots connect? Hello? [>:]

Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 AM

dunno the resistance mike, seems simple if there is "approved" alternatives out there that do not have op's, that is easily available, whats the resistance. i want to have my daughter out with me everytime i fly, but have to wonder if its such a good idea breathing this stuff.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:21 AM

PatF commented...
seems simple if there is "approved" alternatives out there that do not have op's, that is easily available, whats the resistance.
Nice to hear from you Patrick, it's been a while.
I am not my brother's keeper. I think a lotta Doubting Thomas' views stem from some of the cancer scares where it turned out, for example, to get hammered by a specific artificial sweetener, you'd have to drink 10,000 Pepsi Colas a day. [doh]
I've had more than a few exchanges with David Gladwin and old military buds about this topic of OPs and we're all quite impassioned. The stuff seemingly kicked my ass, kicked their asses and maybe others who don't realize it yet. I am just thankful that Sara (Wren) and others aligned with the hobby end of the turbine business have taken an informed stance on the use of practical alternatives. Maybe the others fall into the thereisnoglobalwarming camp. Just keep your daughter upwind and use common sense precautions.[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
I am glad CiprianGugu reignited this topic - it is important to trot it out from time to time.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

JetCat specifies MIL-PRF-23699 STD compliant oil. Same stuff used in full scale military aviation.

Turbonycoil 600 is a TCP free MIL-PRF-23699 oil. No organophosphates and according to the MSDS it looks like you could drink it

Enjoy!
Just asking for a bit of clarification here: Does JetCat approve the use of this oil given that it complies with their indicated mil spec?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:10 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bob R2

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

JetCat specifies MIL-PRF-23699 STD compliant oil. Same stuff used in full scale military aviation.

Turbonycoil 600 is a TCP free MIL-PRF-23699 oil. No organophosphates and according to the MSDS it looks like you could drink it

Enjoy!
Just asking for a bit of clarification here: Does JetCat approve the use of this oil given that it complies with their indicated mil spec?

Thanks.
Yes, sorry if I was not clear.

JetCat specifies MIL-PRF-23699 STD and this oil meets that spec.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:32 PM
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check WWW.grainger.com. Have two listed for Mobile DTE light. $88.00 and $96.00 bucks for five Gals.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked out the ingredients for DTE light at the following web site
http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/m...e/wcd02e24.htm It lists Tris (methylphenyl) ester as one of its ingredients which is an organo phosphate. see http://www.epa.gov/HPV/pubs/summarie...s/c13318ed.pdf for definitions.

I checked up on the Turbonycoil oil which uses polyol esters as its main ingredient. See web site
http://www.safe.no/dokumenter/NYCO%2...008%20SAFE.pdf

Specs include the following:

Turbonycoil 600 :
- Polyol ester-based lubricating oil designed for gas turbine engines
- Viscosity : 5 cSt @ 100°C
Qualifications :
- O-156
- MIL-PRF-23699 F class STD (since 1985)
- DCSEA 299/A
- DEF STAN 91-101 Iss. 3
- OX-27 / OX-28
- AS 5780 class SPC (in process)
Strengths :
- Engine cleanliness (excellent non-coking performance)
- Low volatility and high flash point
- Low foaming tendency
- Superior lubricity
- Health & Safety profile (does not contain Tri-Cresyl-Phosphate TCP)

Seems to me that the synthetic oil is less toxic and has the performance strengths that we need in the size turbines we use. Also looks like the Turbonycoil 600 meets the Mil Spec that is required by the model turbine industry. Hopefully the model turbine manufacturing community is looking at the synthetics as a viable alternative to the OP's that we are now using. Just my 02 cents worth of research.

Roy
Old 12-05-2008, 12:37 AM

So, anybody has a price for Turbonycoil 600?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:15 AM

Mobil DTE Lite, BFL (Bakersfield, CA) Mobil dealer on Rosedale, $59.69 for five gallons.

Skeet
Old 12-05-2008, 01:17 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

You just did. Below are the symptoms for starters, I pass on the info. for what its worth to YOU.

There's no reason NOT to continue jet flying as we do, just treat the oil with consideration for its possible toxicity effects on YOU now that you know they contain OPs. (organo phosphates, a principle agent in nerve gas), or eleminate the problem by switching to DTE or NYCO. They are real and serious and you don't know you are affected until its too late. I know, and know of, a number of people who have been seriously affected and one BA 757 Captain (Tristan Loraine) who became seriously affected, lost his licence and suffered serious health problems, and made an excellent film about it "Welcome Aboard Toxic Airlines".

Mnemonic devices used to remember the muscarinic effects of organophosphates are SLUDGE (salivation, lacrimation, urination, diarrhea, GI upset, emesis) and DUMBELS (diaphoresis and diarrhea; urination; miosis; bradycardia, bronchospasm, bronchorrhea; emesis; excess lacrimation; and salivation). Muscarinic effects by organ systems include the following:

Cardiovascular - Bradycardia, hypotension
Respiratory - Rhinorrhea, bronchorrhea, bronchospasm, cough, severe respiratory distress
Gastrointestinal - Hypersalivation, nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, fecal incontinence
Genitourinary - Incontinence
Ocular - Blurred vision, miosis
Glands - Increased lacrimation, diaphoresis
Nicotinic signs and symptoms include muscle fasciculations, cramping, weakness, and diaphragmatic failure. Autonomic nicotinic effects include hypertension, tachycardia, mydriasis, and pallor.
CNS effects include anxiety, emotional lability, restlessness, confusion, ataxia, tremors, seizures, and coma.

I am neither a doctor or a chemist but I have more than a passing acquaintance of the problems of OPs in turbine oil due to personal involvement.

May I respectfully suggest that before you start telling people to continue what they are doing in the way that they do it that you familiarise yourself with the basics of the issue. You may be rather surprised, even horrified, at what you find.

Regards, David Gladwin.
OH BOY!!! This hit a nerve!
I remember asking if anyone, (I believe it was on Bob's RCJets Digest), was having some strange reactions to storing turbine models inside the house, specificly in the basment workshop where I was spending a great deal of time, (semi-retired). I thought at the time it might be the kero but everyone assured me that could not be the case, including some FBOs who had a lot of exposure to jet fuel. After reading the symptom list above I'm having second thoughts. I had at least eight of the symptoms mentioned and the doctors could not find out what was wrong. (They thought it might have been a pinched nerve in my spine!). Now that I think about it I quit storing my turbine planes in the basement shop and left them in the garage about the time I started imporving healthwise.

My gut feeling is that David is right regarding this issue. Take heed gentlemen.....
Old 12-05-2008, 10:46 AM

I just spoke with the fellow helping from Nyco products in the us out of NJ. he affirmed that they do have organo phosphates, they are really required to meet the milspec anti wear rating, but the ones they use are different and far less hazardous than those in shell and bp.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:33 AM

Just received the following quote by email:

12 or 24 quarts
$99.45/each
Stock
Factory new

Western American Specialties
11520 Jefferson Blvd., Suite 214
Culver City, CA 90230

Apparently not a viable alternative at this price. Anyone have other pricing info from other sources?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that $100 a quart or $100 for lots of 12 or 24qts? Synthetics are always more expensive but I didn't think they would be that much more.

It is a French privately owned company with their head offices in Paris, their R&D center just outside of Paris and their production facility in Tournai - Belgium, right on the border with France. Could be added import duties also.

Roy
Old 12-05-2008, 12:26 PM

Roy, I'm not sure, and I haven't called. At first I thought the price was a typo, but maybe not. I would like to find an alternative oil. I've noticed that I don't feel quite "right" after a day of turbine flying. At first I thought it was just OF syndrome, but I've come to believe it may exposure to turbine exhaust.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Molar mender

http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/m...e/wcd02e24.htm It lists Tris (methylphenyl) ester as one of its ingredients which is an organo phosphate. see http://www.epa.gov/HPV/pubs/summarie...s/c13318ed.pdf for definitions.

I checked up on the Turbonycoil oil which uses polyol esters as its main ingredient. See web site

Turbonycoil 600 :
Qualifications :
- O-156
- DCSEA 299/A
- DEF STAN 91-101 Iss. 3
- OX-27 / OX-28
Strengths :
- Low foaming tendency
- Superior lubricity

Seems to me that the synthetic oil is less toxic and has the performance strengths that we need in the size turbines we use. Also looks like the Turbonycoil 600 meets the Mil Spec that is required by the model turbine industry. Hopefully the model turbine manufacturing community is looking at the synthetics as a viable alternative to the OP's that we are now using. Just my 02 cents worth of research.

Roy
So Mobil DTE Light is not that great for our health after all. I will look into TCW3 oil next. I will see if I can find some Synthetic TCW3 and run it and see what happens. My P70 is out of waranty for a while anyway. If it works, it works, if not, we will see then.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:59 PM
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Molar mender

Turbonycoil 600 :
Qualifications :
- O-156
- DCSEA 299/A
- DEF STAN 91-101 Iss. 3
- OX-27 / OX-28
Strengths :
- Low foaming tendency
- Superior lubricity

Roy
I've been following this thread since day one and thought the DTE Light was the answer and Turbonycoil 600 was maybe a better choice, but now find out that DTE also has OPs according to above. And I'm not sure what oil Pat is referring to that also contains OPs (just less toxic), but it seems like he may be talking about the Turbonycoil 600 because the OPs are "required" to meet the mil-spec, which the 600 meets. So what is the answer? [sm=confused.gif]

I'm not a chemist or scientist, just a hobbyist trying to enjoy my recreation and be aware of potential long-term hazards.

George
Old 12-05-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

DTE still looks better than turbine oil...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46962.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1084236  
Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I will look into TCW3 oil next.
I tried the Castrol TTS as recommended by Wren & it lead to problems.

Specifically, I don't use my engine that often & it lead to what felt like sticky bearings, the starter would really struggle on the first start of a flying session to spin the engine up. Perhaps if you fly every second weekend it would not be a problem.

A change back to Mobil Jet Oil II soved the problem. Also none of these problems with DTE Light.

Agreed. I was disappointed to read that DTE had OP's in it but if it has between 66 & 146 times less of it than jet oil it has to be a step in the right direction.

I wonder how consistent MSDS's are world wide? Check out these Australian ones, section 3 is the bit we are interested in.

http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/psims...mentFormat=RTF

http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/psims...mentFormat=RTF

Could oils be mixed with different ingedients to suit local toxicity regulations? - John.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:37 AM

DTE may not be perfect but it is a step in the right direction. Those of you who use it do you mix it the same, 1 quart to 5 gallons kero or Jet A? I am guessing yes.
Good thread keep the info flowing.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:10 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

As I said earlier in the thread, Brian Cooper from [link=http://www.cooperfuels.com/]Cooper Fuels[/link] has an oil that is suited to turbine use. No OPs (I believe) and it's bio-degradable to boot.

It mighy pay to contact him for confirmation/details, his username here is FuelMan
Old 12-09-2008, 03:15 AM
My Feedback: (94)

WOW, this thread is an eye opener[X(] . I'm immidiately switching to DTE light for now, please keep the information coming on alternative oils as they become available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.