Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Avonds F-15

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Avonds F-15

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:36 PM
rfrantz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avonds F-15

Is there a kit cutter who sells the wood pieces for an Avonds F-15 ducted fan kit. I plan on converting to turbine power and will probably contact Avonds for thier conversion kit. I can cut all the pieces but I sure could get a jump on building if the pieces are available.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Stig Andersen

Default RE: Avonds F-15

I've been through the same procedure some years ago. Tell Philip that you need the wood parts, and he can send them along with the conversion kit. You will be in good hands with Philip Avonds. Contact him through his website www.avonds.com .
Old 12-18-2008, 09:51 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Roger that! PA is a great guy. I get terrific support from him for my 3 PA airplanes!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Mike Emilio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rfrantz

Is there a kit cutter who sells the wood pieces for an Avonds F-15 ducted fan kit. I plan on converting to turbine power and will probably contact Avonds for thier conversion kit. I can cut all the pieces but I sure could get a jump on building if the pieces are available.

Thanks
If you are converting to turbine, why would you need the df parts?

The turbine conversion kit might have a former or two, but the big difference is basically a new shape for the intake ducting, and the double wall exhaust pipe. Also includes the fuel cell.

From the web site:
"The conversion kit for the F-15 is special in the sense that it contains a complete new set of ducting: intake liners, turbine bypass and stainless steel bifurcated tailpipe. The new intake liners are specially matched to the bypass and also capture less air (Turbine requires less air than DF). Removing the old DF intake liners is easier than you may think: cut the old liners loose with a DREMEL and cut-off wheel 15 to 20 mm inside the intake circumference. Remove the liners from the inside. Make a perpendicular cut in the remaining liner inside the intake lip. Peel off this 15 to 20 mm strip and you're done. The rest of the conversion is straightforward. Further included are the complete fuel tank system, some CNC cut wood parts to install the optional Spring Air #402 retracts, ceramic felt insulation for the tailpipe, the complete Turbine version instructions and a full size plan."
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61274.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1092030  
Old 12-20-2008, 02:42 AM
rfrantz

Thanks Guys for the info. I only have the fuse and the foam pieces, no wood at all so I'm guessing I'll need more than what the conversion kit includes.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2008, 04:48 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rfrantz

Thanks
Don't know if you can pry a wood kit out of him or not, but try contacting RCU member pjacq. You can find him in the members list.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:24 AM
Minch

rfrantz

I converted my F15 DF to Turbine using the avonds conversion kit and if I remember correctly you get some wooden part, all the ducting inc tailpipe, fuel system it comes with a full size plan. I am sure that Philip Avonds would for a small fee sell you an additional plan with all the wood part on. I know that with the basic D/F kit you get plans of all the wooden parts to cut out yourself and I believe that most of the parts are the same apart from the turbine wooden parts being cut from thicker wood.

I would do as previous posts suggest and give Philip a call, I spoke to him and he was able to tell me exaclty what needed doing, how much power the turbine conversion can cope with as there have been a few mods to the D/F and turbine kit over the years to strengthen it. One mod that I know of is that the thickness and material of the pivot bars for the tailplane were changed - think from steel to carbon fibre. Philip advised me that for my kit the turbine I used should be turned down to provide approx 22lbs out the back end - the tailpipe causes a 2-3lbs thrust loss so the turbine is set to 25/26lbs (Jetcat 120).

Nick
Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 PM
pjacq
My Feedback: (72)

I could cut a set for you let me know what parts you would like and I will fire up the laser..

Paul
Old 12-21-2008, 11:30 PM
rfrantz

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the offer. Do you have the plan set on file or will I need to supply mine? I haven't had the time yet to study the plans in detail but
I'm guessing I should get all of the wood pieces. I got the plane 2nd hand and it's the first jet builders type kit for me so it's going a great learning project. The kit is about 6 or 7 years old and the plan's title block says Jet Hanger Hobbies drawn by Philllp Avonds.

Thanks Again
Bob
Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 AM
pjacq
My Feedback: (72)

I dont have that file for that one.I think the wood kit you would have to get from jet hanger hoobys if they sell it. The kit you have is the fist avons plane and it is diferent then the wood file I have.

Thanks Paul