Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Flyeaglejet F-14 first look

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Flyeaglejet F-14 first look

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Flyeaglejet F-14 first look

ORIGINAL: t33jetman
It's a factory, they can change things if they want to make sales.

LOL! Very good point to make.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Mike Emilio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rider-60

BTW it looks like they have listened, the web page is updated with CAD drawings for an F35! bye bye ugly X35
Didn't see them, only some renderings.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:48 PM
rhallgarth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SJN

looks good..

I hope they cut out the lower parts of the intakes.
On the F-15`s they have left it alone.....[:@]

On the 1/7 F-15E the intake has been corrected at the bottom front. Your picture is from the smaller F-15.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:53 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bob Toilet

Hi
I think my Dremel will handle that massive task,,,

Christian
Christian,

That's a bit of a wise-***** responce, don't you think? Actually, you *can't* just Dremel it out on the F-15 because the bottom of the intake liner comes out at the *top* of that closed off area of the intake, *not* at the bottom. Thus, if you Dremel out that area, you'll be left with the edge of the intake liner being exposed across the bottom part of your intake and with a hole in the intake into the inside of the fuselage. Both of those would look worse than the "mishaped" inlet, so I just left it on my F-15. I sure wish that they HAD done it right on the F-15 and hope they do on the F-14 - it will look much better...

Bob
Old 01-12-2009, 02:05 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On the 1/7 F-15E the intake has been corrected at the bottom front. Your picture is from the smaller F-15.
Yes, the last 2 pics are of my skymaster f-15....same mistake on that one
I removed the closed off aerea, and built up the missing part of the duct afterwards. Easy fix, but it would be nice if it was correct from the beginning
I just included the pictures for comparison......looks much nicer when they are opened up....both on the f-15 and F-14
Old 01-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Bob Toilet

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Hi
I think my Dremel will handle that massive task,,,

Christian
Christian,

That's a bit of a wise-***** responce, don't you think?
No i don`t. Have a nice day.
Christian
Old 01-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Wow, a lot of ACE modelers in this thread!
Arf Critique Extraordinaire!...
Old 01-12-2009, 03:08 PM
rhklenke

No i don`t. Have a nice day.
Christian
Ah, so that it was an engage mouth before engage brain kind of comment then.

As Sonnich mentioned, it looks much better with the intake opened up which is easy to do if you're building it as a kit and then painting it, as I believe he did, but much harder to do if its an ARF. On the F-15 ARF with the Tiger Meet scheme, opeing up that area and "fixing" it so that it would look good is a major task - especially since FEJ doesn't offer any touch up paints in the US for ANY of their kits...

Bob
Old 01-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Mike Emilio

, , ,
, , ,
- especially since FEJ doesn't offer any touch up paints in the US for ANY of their kits...

Bob
If you get a 595 color chip set, you can match it up to just about any shade of anything. When you know the 595 number, it's easy to get the touch-up paint in a rattle can.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43154.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1109381  
Old 01-12-2009, 04:02 PM
rhallgarth

ORIGINAL: SJN

Yes, the last 2 pics are of my skymaster f-15....same mistake on that one
I removed the closed off aerea, and built up the missing part of the duct afterwards. Easy fix, but it would be nice if it was correct from the beginning
I just included the pictures for comparison......looks much nicer when they are opened up....both on the f-15 and F-14
Didn't realize that was different jet. I just cannot believe they would design an inlet like that. I bought the 1/7 F-15E single engine from FEJ. I'm wondering if they supply the inlet setup so I can run a bypass for my P-180?? That will be a lot of air for a single turbine. I can do that myself if I have to.

I must assume they will fix the bottom of the F-14 inlet. FEJ gear seems to be good in general but they have air cylinder problems but I have always planned on replacing anything that does not work in air system with BVM parts so I don't consider that a big deal. They should buy from BVM all the air stuff including brakes IMHO.

The FEJ F-14 does not have the wing spoilers unless they are planned for released model and not currently included. The Yellow F-14 has them and they worked well. That is a major mistake IMHO because they are really the best way to control roll even though the stabilator is also a taileron or rolling tail in the real plane but only acts as such with wings swept more than 58 degrees. The spoilers are IMHO a good idea when landing/taking off since the stabilator needs to precisely control pitch not roll. I am sure the plane will fly without the spoilers since my JHH/Avonds F-14 I am building will fly that way early on before I replace the JHH foam core wings with a built up set with slats, spoilers, and flaps all functioning.

I am looking forward to my FEJ F-15E when it eventually arrives. I got it in the Isreali desert camo because a close friends grandson flies the F-15 in the Isreali Air Force. A very impressive young man and he does love flying the F-15 and raves about it to his granddad.

I've been grousing a lot about FEJ because I basically have no clue what is going on with my F-15E and I think it is sloppy marketing and sales to post bad pictures or drawings to excite jet model enthusiasts when they have not even flown the plane or put it threw any kind of flight testing. The F-15 was at least tested (without rudders). Just my humble opinion but it seems to me the Liberty is a better process since the modelers are involved. I think that is even more important on a scale model since FEJ could probably create a far more scale model with input from modelers that have a great interest in the "new" scale model they are planning to bring to market. I will bet the Liberty will be a very good model IMHO.

Imagine if they had started that discussion on the F-14. I would bet the new F-14 would have been nearly perfect since there a lot of people on here that are Tomcat fans/nuts and it is much better to get the design correct to start with than having to scramble before delivery and to make compromises modelers buy into.

Enough said since I have to go unpack my BVM F-86 that arrived this morning. here is hoping FEJ steps up to the plate and produces a great F-14 that I want to buy.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Mike Emilio

ORIGINAL: rhallgarth
, , ,
, , ,
Imagine if they had started that discussion on the F-14. I would bet the new F-14 would have been nearly perfect since there a lot of people on here that are Tomcat fans/nuts and it is much better to get the design correct to start with than having to scramble before delivery and to make compromises modelers buy into.
, , ,
, , ,
Yes, , , especially if they got data other than the typical 3 view freebees.
But I don't ever recall any manufature doing this. I imagine they have their Cad folks dig up books or whatever they can find, , , then go at it. All hush hush.
Typically, I don't see any manufacturers discussion about an F-35 either.

Compromises:
Whatever they may be, at this point, the moulds have been made.
Can't change too much with the mould without going back to the plug and starting another.

It may, or may not, be a candidate for some scale competition, , , but then 90% of the world would most likely not be buying it for that purpose.

It's still a great achievement.

To get into heavy true scale it takes custom scratchbuilding and dedicated patience like Harold Huff's incredible SU-27.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 PM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: Mike Emilio

, , ,
, , ,
- especially since FEJ doesn't offer any touch up paints in the US for ANY of their kits...

Bob
If you get a 595 color chip set, you can match it up to just about any shade of anything. When you know the 595 number, it's easy to get the touch-up paint in a rattle can.
rhklenke, FEJ DOES offer touch up paints for their kits. I have personally recieved touch up paint from them for my Tiger Theme F-16. It came with 6 different colors and a bottle of thinner. I don't know why you would say this. Have you actually tried to get some and been turned down? Surely you have a reason for saying this.

Andy
Old 01-12-2009, 05:31 PM
rhallgarth

Very difficult to do after they have a mold made.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:36 PM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: rhallgarth

Very difficult to do after they have a mold made.
All they have to do is build a slight wedge in the vertical sab. No problem. Otherwise, I'm sure a new mold can be made if needed.

Andy
Old 01-12-2009, 05:50 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

rhklenke, FEJ DOES offer touch up paints for their kits. I have personally recieved touch up paint from them for my Tiger Theme F-16. It came with 6 different colors and a bottle of thinner. I don't know why you would say this. Have you actually tried to get some and been turned down? Surely you have a reason for saying this.

Andy
That is what I was told by both James, back in about June, and one of their US distributers, back in about August. Perhaps they have changed their policy recently, I have not asked since then...

Bob
Old 01-12-2009, 05:53 PM
AndyAndrews

Andy
That is what I was told by both James, back in about June, and one of their US distributers, back in about August. Perhaps they have changed their policy recently, I have not asked since then...

Bob

Well, James was the one who got them to send it to me. They must have changed their policy. This was sent out to me in November.

Andy
Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My comments are more curiosity as to how someone can get so many of really tough lines and angles correct, and then miss something as simple as vertical stab angle. The inlets are another story altogether. Those can't be the final version, or someone needs to get their vision checked.

I'm VERY happy though that someone has decided to tackle producing such a beast after the many years of Yellow's 'coming soon' nonsense.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:14 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Heres what i really want to know.

Since the first 10 orders are $3450 pricing wise.. whats the pricing going to be for everyone After the 10 orders? $4500, 5500??? 6000?
Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 AM
AndyAndrews

You will never see a ARF from FEJ for 6K. Trust me lol.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:36 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I figured since this is twice as complex as the larger F-15 and about the same size, it'd be atleast $1000-1500 more than that one.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Mike Emilio

Don't forget to roll in the shipping, duty, and taxes, , , Ouch , , , ,[:@]
Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: invertmast

I figured since this is twice as complex as the larger F-15 and about the same size, it'd be atleast $1000-1500 more than that one.

Even if it is, I think it still sounds like a good price, I think that's less than the Y/A kit cost when it was available, I know I've seen Y/A F14's framed up sell for more than 7K on RCU in the past, this one is bigger, and an ARF. If it was from Airworld or many others it would be a $14,000 price I'm sure. However, since this is all speculation, I won't even pretend to know what it will cost. I'm excited about it, more excited than any other jet I've had
Old 01-13-2009, 03:52 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: drdoom
Like this paint.

Attachments
Click for fullsize
Click for fullsize
Don't do it Doom!!

Been there, done that; it's very hard to see with wings swept. (Right Adil?) Since it's bigger, it may be a little easier to see in that configuration, but personally, not again. It is a nice scheme though.

George
Old 01-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Falcon 64

ORIGINAL: invertmast

And i'm pretty sure the CG change "problem" everyone is so worried about is a bit of a mute point. Their's a few guys on here that have flown the Avonds, and the DCU/Jetmart Tomcats and from what my research has shown, they say the CG change is very negligible and it requires a slight mix. The biggest thing, is once the wings are swept back, their is less rotating mass in roll, so you have to cut the aileron rates Way down.
Correct about the CG.
However, the use of ailerons in swept mode will end up like Manfred Eberhardt`s F-14:http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KlFxvUfkSAk
Using ailerons in swept mode locks the model in a dive without any control left, because of any use of ailerons make severe turbulence over the elevators, making them useless.

As some might know, he totalled his first Tomcat due to the use of ailerons in swept mode. The solution is tailerons.
So the ailerons can only be used as flaps when wings are fully extended, no more no less...
I just thought I`d add this, so the prototype can live after the tesing, based on others experience....

Brg
Gudmund
Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Adil Nasim
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: George

ORIGINAL: drdoom
Like this paint.

Attachments
Click for fullsize
Click for fullsize
Don't do it Doom!!

Been there, done that; it's very hard to see with wings swept. (Right Adil?) Since it's bigger, it may be a little easier to see in that configuration, but personally, not again. It is a nice scheme though.

George

As long as you keep it in close and high, its OK but yeah George, it is FUNNN when it goes swept..

Adil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.