Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Full scale turbine blade question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Full scale turbine blade question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Mike Emilio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Full scale turbine blade question

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

Mike,
"Kirksite" is composed of 94% zinc, and 6% aluminum, and has a melting point of 725° F. Too high for hot water.
Kirksite is now being used for an alloy in injection molding, but has been more commonly used as the die in drop hammer die sets. The punch, or the part of the hammer die set that gets dropped, is made of lead.

I believe you must have meant "Cerrobend", which melts at 158° F, which is well within the range of hot water.

I use these three shapes of cerrobend ingots for building weights.
The top one weighs 1.35 Lbs., the center one weighs 1.93 Lbs., and the hex shaped one is 2.4 Lbs.
Yes, your right.
The company uses both poured Kirksite for some very small moulds, and the poured Cerrobend for casting in all the blades to the grinding wheel.
I was just looking up the temperature rating and realize I got mixed up.

I've seen it done a hundred times, and still get confused.

After grinding, the big wheel assembly of blades is put into a tub of very hot water. It's amazing to see how this stuff just melts out.
It's used over and over again. Really neat.