Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Anyone up for a BIG A-320 kit?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Anyone up for a BIG A-320 kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Anyone up for a BIG A-320 kit?

ORIGINAL: CraigG

...It was the Queen of the Skys in its day but a dinosaur by todays standards. Heavy on the controls, no APU, crappy a/c (no packs), and everything was cable operated. Still though, a good looking airplane.

Craig
Oh absolutely! Like they say, Douglas builds CHARACTER, not airplanes! I envy you, by the time I came along an 8 driver had to fly for UPS or a non schedule operator. I didn't go to UPS (good guys though), and didn't want to go to the non scheds, so I had to settle for a pencil pusher type of jet.

Back to the -320 - I say build it for yourself. Go for it. Those that want to build an airliner will do it along with you, and those who say they'd hold out for a 757 or whatever else can design and make plans for themselves that you can use later on too And I also second the windscreen comments. Some otherwise beautifully done airliners have nose sections that look like kids toys. It is the face of the jet, as well as the fillets for the wing/fuse transition that can kill an airliner if not done well. But even more importantly make it fly well so it's just as fun to fly as look at!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:58 AM
fumus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: iiievolution

Hello

Make the A320. Since I have been flying the real one for the past 6 years I wouldnt mind a model one too But please please try and make the cockpit windows accurate to scale, I just cant understand why NO model airliner has accurate cockpit windows. We see model airliners that are so accurate....except for the cockpit windows [:'(] . Surely it can be done, look how accurete our military jets are.

Paul
The cockpit section is one of the most characteristic areas of an airliner. Very often one can see pics of model airliners with very strange looking cockpit, especially when they were built from foam or depron. But I disagree that NO airliner model has accurate cockpit windows.

What's wrong with these ones?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96370.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1123002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56930.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1123003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80274.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1123004  
Old 01-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Eddie P

There are plenty of airliners with well built front end offices, it's just that some of them do not and it stands out like a sore thumb. Here's my BAe-146, at least it has a decently modeled front end (Thanks to Robbe and some .6 ounce glass cloth and resin). The other three are scratch built airplanes. The DC-8 was built 13 years ago and was my first attempt - the front end was OK but could have been better in this PSS slope glider. The second scratch built airplane was a Convair 580 - better but not great. Then I did a P-3, a hand launch plane, it was too small to really go scale but it looked the part overall. They all looked OK, scale wise, to me, but were builds where I still think I could have done a little bit better. So I agree that the character of an airliner is in the nose as well as a few other places, it's worth a little extra effort and study of reference material IMHO.

By the way, is that the EDF powered Caravelle with two Schubeler fans in the first picture, above?

Name:	Ec88850.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1123088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37908.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1123089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21077.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1123090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21202.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1123091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58198.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1123092  
Old 01-30-2009, 12:50 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

You do a 727 and I am ALL over it....
Old 01-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Eddie P

Rauch sells plans for a 727 (as well as all the other popular airliners). The short kit is very "short". Single turbine in the tail. The PCM L-1011 was a nice design too, maybe slightly heavy for wing loading due to the scale design of the L-1011, but at one time was a really nice option too.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:55 PM
iiievolution

ORIGINAL: fumus

ORIGINAL: iiievolution

Hello

Make the A320. Since I have been flying the real one for the past 6 years I wouldnt mind a model one too But please please try and make the cockpit windows accurate to scale, I just cant understand why NO model airliner has accurate cockpit windows. We see model airliners that are so accurate....except for the cockpit windows [:'(] . Surely it can be done, look how accurete our military jets are.

Paul
The cockpit section is one of the most characteristic areas of an airliner. Very often one can see pics of model airliners with very strange looking cockpit, especially when they were built from foam or depron. But I disagree that NO airliner model has accurate cockpit windows.

What's wrong with these ones?

I agree that the Norbert Rauch Tu-154 is probably the most accurate airliner model, I forgot to mention that in my original post. The other two, although very nice models and very near to scale, they just have that little bit of error that gives them away. My point is that with our military jets we have achieved extremely accurate models, so the technology and know how is there to make accurate models, so why cant airliners be more accurate. I think they have a far less complex shape than say an F-16 or Mig-29 etc.

Paul
Old 01-30-2009, 02:01 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing about a B727 kit ... is that perhaps you could design it so that the builder has the option to utilize a single turbine (like the PCM L1011) ..... or two turbines (# 2 engine could be the dummy) ? (here is my PCM L10 .... it is now ready for maiden ... after the snow/ice melts). Bob

Name:	Tr51130.jpg
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	1123212  
Old 01-30-2009, 04:45 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Eddie P

Rauch sells plans for a 727 (as well as all the other popular airliners). The short kit is very "short". Single turbine in the tail. The PCM L-1011 was a nice design too, maybe slightly heavy for wing loading due to the scale design of the L-1011, but at one time was a really nice option too.
The wing loading on the PCM L1011 is not that high. The BVM F-100 is higher and it flys nicer than the L1011. I've flown a modified (twing engine) L1011 model that was 15 lbs heavier than stock and it flew fine. I've also flown a 757 model that was 120+ oz/sq. ft. and it flew nicer than the L1011. Actually, the L1011 flys very nicely, its just that last 2' of altitude on landing that can bite you - and more weight actually helps.

Bob
Old 01-31-2009, 07:07 PM
fumus

In reply to Eddie P:
That Caravelle is probably powered by two EDFs but from the pic on Rauch's site you can't see if that are Schuebeler fans.

Name:	Kh17831.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1124292  
Old 02-09-2009, 12:43 PM
xphstos

I WILL GET ONE TOOOOOOOOO
Old 02-09-2009, 02:30 PM
rolsen12

Here is one that would be hard to beat.
A YRB- 49 about the same size.
I will buy the first one.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:38 PM
bigbaggy

Do a 777 better looking than the -200.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 AM
penceaviation

Alrighty everyone, I'm going to go meet with the gentleman that does my cnc foam cutting tomorrow (for the plug), so I'll have a better idea how long it would take to bring this project together. I'm also working on locking in the scale. I want to do 1/12 but may take to down to 1/14th to work with the larger electric fans better. Anyone have suggestions on the scale based on powerplants, or should I just stick with 1/12 and make a nice monster?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: penceaviation

Alrighty everyone, I'm going to go meet with the gentleman that does my cnc foam cutting tomorrow (for the plug), so I'll have a better idea how long it would take to bring this project together. I'm also working on locking in the scale. I want to do 1/12 but may take to down to 1/14th to work with the larger electric fans better. Anyone have suggestions on the scale based on powerplants, or should I just stick with 1/12 and make a nice monster?

Go with 1/14th scale, it's very nice and could easily be kept in basements and transport to the flying field in minivans....So far i highly doubt i will go for A320 but if i changed my mind, this scale will fit in with my Super Constellation perfectly.

Cheers,
Sam
Old 02-22-2009, 10:35 PM
penceaviation

Ok guys, here's the latest news. I can get a plug for the A320 made on cnc equipment and bring this thing to life fairly quickly in the grand scheme of things. I have estimated the materials and expect to produce a kit in 1/14th scale, which by my calculations comes up to 105.6" length, 95.8 wingspan. The kit will be full composite and is currently planned to be priced at $1399. A landing gear package with retracts, wheels and struts is included in that price.

I expect the kit to have / contain:
Full fiberglass fuselage shipped in three pieces. (nose, mid, tail)
Fiberglass engine nacelles and wing hinge pylons
Wood formers in the nose gear, main landing gear, tail attach points and main spar area installed
Other needed wood parts included.
Composite wings and tail with control surfaces ready for robart type hinges
Main spars installed in the wing & tail
Gear doors cut / marked
cockpit windows marked
Included!! Landing gear package!!

That's just the preliminary list of inclusions and kit traits, I'm sure some changes will be made along the way but it will be a high value kit and a prime candidate for the new high power EDF’s on the market.

Now I'm sure you all can imagine that it will run well into the thousands of dollars to develop this and start making kits. If I get enough people committing to this project, (I think we already have 3 or 4) I will ask for 50% deposits from them and start scheduling projected delivery dates. Earlier deposit, earlier delivery date. PM me or email me if you are interested and I'll send you details on how to make a deposit and get a kit. Thanks guys!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 AM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

Hey Shannon, let everyone argue about their likes and dislikes with the full scale, you build a 120incher or better, I'll buy it, no matter what it is!
Old 02-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Eddie P

I may have missed it... what are you planning for powerplants on your personal prototype? ("High power EDF" I assume Tamjet TJ100 or BVM EVF or Shubi/Etc.. - what about turbine.. P-60/Wren 54?) Will you build leading edge slats on yours? Got a wing area and weight target yet?