Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 PowerBox Royal (with RRS) Question >

PowerBox Royal (with RRS) Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

PowerBox Royal (with RRS) Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: PowerBox Royal (with RRS) Question

Hi Mark,

I have been giving it more thought. I think the brake channel thing should work if done like this........With the jettronics brake valve I am only using from 0 to +100 % for the function of the brake valve using a programmable mix linked to down elevator. If I temporarily setup the transmitter so that it could signal -100% on the brake channel during the programming of preset failsafe, say by changing my mix or assigning a switch and corresponding "-100% position", then eliminated this change after the programming of preset failsafe, I reckon it would work. The only way you could get a servo port output of "-100%" would then be in a failsafe condition, not by deflection of the elevator stick as the mix would not allow it.

My understanding is that the royal is looking for a specific full throw signal on any channel that is specific to a failsafe condition, so it knows when to switch, otherwise it has no idea when the receiver has gone into failsafe with a 2.4 receiver.

This seems to be consistent with the extract below from the manual....and I don't think it needs full range in both directions, just one extreme in one direction that is reserved only for a failsafe condition. The brake channel seems like a great choice as the lower half of the range is not used by the jettronics valve! I am going to try that. I reckon it will work and then I don't have to mess with the throttle channel or find a spare channel that I don't have.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards,

Craig.

"<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 10px; ">It is essential to program this fail-safe channel in such a way that it switches</span><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Arial">from 0% to -100%, or from 0% to +100% (half servo travel), when fail-safe is</p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Arial">triggered."</p><p style="margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Arial; min-height: 11.0px"></p>
Old 06-05-2009, 08:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: PowerBox Royal (with RRS) Question

ORIGINAL: Craig B.

HI Oliver,

This is very interesting reading. I just want to clarify a couple of points. In regard to setting up the FS function for receiver switching, am I correct in understanding that I have only one option if I don't have a spare receiver channel to work with, and that is to use the throttle channel set to engine shutdown?

That is not an appealing option to me as I always set my FS option on the throttle to idle rather than shutdown. I wonder if another option would be to use the brake channel as you have described and after programming the failsafe in the receivers, reduce the atv on the brake channel to say 80% and then program the electronic brake valve with that travel (ie. 80%). That way the royal would only see 100% in the event of a FS from a receiver and not during normal application of the brakes. What do you think?

I must confess that I have operating my Royal without the FS1 and FS2 plugged in and I am worried now! Need to get this sorted out properly as it appears that my second receiver on this system is actually doing nothing!?

Please correct me if I have anything wrong here.

Thanks,

Craig.

Craig, the use of the FS1 / FS2 input is absolutely essential. Your second receiver is just here to make you spend more money at this stage ;-). In fact the unit would only switch over in case of complete hardware receiver failure.

I was stating the THR channel since it is an AMA requirement to have the engine shut down in case of a fail safe condition. This just takes advantage of this rquirement.
Of course you can use any channel with a Y cable input for this purpose. You would then make sure that you program the unit with the smart safe feature on JR units or the hold function on that specific channel for Futaba. the throw programming that you described would surely work.

By the way I have retried programming my smart safe at 100% ATV and it now works. I probably screwed up at some point or had a software glitch during setup...