Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Viper Jet ready for Maiden

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Viper Jet ready for Maiden

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:20 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: New Viper Jet ready for Maiden

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

Well the Maiden happen today with Major Issues (my WORDS) & Ron did a Outstanding job dealing with the Loss of the Rudder(horn pulled out/breaking the hinges and departing the airframe)after first turn and a then dealing with a FLAP issue..
Great Job Ron.
Semper Fi
Joe
I'd like to hear a little more about the rudder horn issue when you guys get a chance. Was this a factory installed part?

Thanks and congrats on getting it back in one piece. Good looking airplane.

Craig
Old 02-25-2009, 09:22 PM
RonLongAZ
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: CraigG

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

Well the Maiden happen today with Major Issues (my WORDS) & Ron did a Outstanding job dealing with the Loss of the Rudder(horn pulled out/breaking the hinges and departing the airframe)after first turn and a then dealing with a FLAP issue..
Great Job Ron.
Semper Fi
Joe
I'd like to hear a little more about the rudder horn issue when you guys get a chance. Was this a factory installed part?

Thanks and congrats on getting it back in one piece. Good looking airplane.

Craig
Craig and Ian,

What had happened is we did not realize that there was not a hard point in the rudder upon installation to the horn. So what happened is exacltly what Joe Said the horn pulled out upon takoff and the flutter caused it to depart from the air frame. A simple fix is to check for the hard point in the rudder if there is not one dril a hole out through the bottom and install one. I am sure this will happen at the factory in some time to come, or a mod will be posted in the Sky Master instructions. As far as the flap issue It was a skin issue that can be corrected with another small mod. Wayne Lane will be posting the mods a little later, with some pics I am sure. The 2 mods are very minor issues ,but if not checked ,could become a major one as it did for me today. All in all I am very happy with the jet. This is my second one I have the red and white one as well it is flying great! I have contacted Jason at Sky Master USA and he has ordered me another rudder for this jet. I am very pleased with the customer service from the Sky Master USA team. There service for me has been second to none. Thanks guys for all your help.I Will do another update once I get the new rudder and will post some more pics on maiden #2 for this Bronz Jet.

Ronald R Long
Old 02-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Good post Ron... that is exactly what happened out there today with your Viperjet, no more no less. Good job with the save, this jet will be around forever now !!!
V..
Old 02-25-2009, 09:42 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Lowest bidder? [X(] Sorry, I couldn't resist (inside joke).

Ron/Wayne, excellent looking bird, I'm sure it looks as good on the inside as on the outside. Great job bringing her back safely. I look forward to seeing it fly!!!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:00 AM
P38J
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some pictures of the mod I made to the flaps to fix the problem. The fiberglass skin on one wing was flexing in the hinge area allowing an asymmetric flap deployment, I used some balsa triangle stock to help stabilize this area. The damage to the rudder was caused when the rudder horn pulled out; I missed the fact that there was no reinforcing block installed in the rudder when I glued the horn in place, luckily we still have the airplane with only minor repairs needed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88766.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1145059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43962.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1145060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35258.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1145061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71512.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1145062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36874.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1145063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19928.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1145064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94409.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1145065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14599.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1145066  

Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 AM
RonLongAZ
My Feedback: (29)

Wayne,

The mods look great nice work!

Ron
Old 02-26-2009, 12:47 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey Wayne

did you give any thought to running triangle stock to the entire length of the flap section? or was the flexing fairly minimal and merely a preventative measure?

have you all noticed any problems on the F4 or F16s yawlll are flying?

nice work btw
Old 02-26-2009, 06:01 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: P38J

Here are some pictures of the mod I made to the flaps to fix the problem.
Ron and Wayne,

Thanks for the quick and informative explanation. Stuff happens and looks like you guys handled it well and got the word out to the rest of us. Appreciate it.

Craig
Old 02-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Buck,
Wayne made the same mod on Rons F-4 flap seam. I guess you could have run the triangle stock the full seam because that section is totally unsupported but waynes fix should be good enough imo.
V..
Old 02-26-2009, 09:27 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

thanks Vin

looks like a worthwhile mod that i'll add to my F4. You guys are having waaay too much fun.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
P38J

Hi Buck, on the F-4 I did run the stock the entire lenght of the flap but it is not needed to have it that long so I decided to save a few grams.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Wayne/Ron,

Did you find you needed to cut a tear drop hole in the wing root to stop the flaps binding as they are lowered? And did you add the 2oz balance to your elevators??

Cheers,
Mark
Old 02-26-2009, 10:23 AM
P38J

Hi Mark, there is no mention in the instruction about adding any weight to the elevators and I don't believe that it's needed; also no hole was needed for the flaps to clear the fuselage the stepped area of the flap provided enough clearance.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 AM
schroedm

Maybe they sorted it - mine will not lower without needing a whole and I believe Billy's was the same.

As for adding weight to elevators - the manual I have has it in bold so I'll check with Anton!!

Cheers,
Mark
Old 02-26-2009, 10:52 AM
MNModels

Hi Mark,

The 1st few unpainted Vipers needed filing to clear flap to fuselage due to angle. The painted models do no have this problem and so also the latest unpainted models.

For the balance of elevators - we tested 3 different servo posistions for Viper before release because we knew there were some issues with flutter on previous smaller vipers manufatured by another company.

So we suggested to balance of elevator. We have found that it is not needed but will do no harm.

The skin issue was only found on 2 models as far as i know. The very first pre release models. I have 1 and SkymasterUSA got the gold Viper for display in jet event. Both these models also did not have the balsa inside rudder post for horn. The rest of productions models should all be perfect.

Hope this clear some issues.

Regards

Morne
Old 02-26-2009, 11:05 AM
schroedm

Thanks Morne,

The skin issue was only found on 2 models as far as i know. The very first pre release models. I have 1 and SkymasterUSA got the gold Viper for display in jet event. Both these models also did not have the balsa inside rudder post for horn. The rest of productions models should all be perfect.
It's affected Billy's and mine so might be worth reviewing at the factory again. My flaps will only lower about 20degrees before they jam against the root. Lowering them more pushes the wing away from the fuselage and obviously causes the servo to strain like a pig!

Ron's was a recent model and didn't have the balsa for the horn so that might be worth checking too.

Obviously, little bits can get overlooked during production - nothing is perfect, but as a heads up for others I think it's useful.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 02-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: schroedm

Thanks Morne,

It's affected Billy's and mine so might be worth reviewing at the factory again. My flaps will only lower about 20degrees before they jam against the root. Lowering them more pushes the wing away from the fuselage and obviously causes the servo to strain like a pig!

Ron's was a recent model and didn't have the balsa for the horn so that might be worth checking too.

Obviously, little bits can get overlooked during production - nothing is perfect, but as a heads up for others I think it's useful.

Cheers,
Mark
Good post Mark. Joe C!!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:17 PM
schroedm

Thanks Joe!

OK, this was what I needed to do in order to stop the flap hitting the wing root.

Also shot another pic of cockpits and access decks.

Tailpipe to fit and she's ready to go.

Rgds,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33558.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1145466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80106.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1145467