Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Test flew my Philip Avonds F-16 >

Test flew my Philip Avonds F-16

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Test flew my Philip Avonds F-16

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Test flew my Philip Avonds F-16

Hi Guys, I have the cg even a little to the rear which makes the plane a bit more docile on landing. Also High-alpha flying (true 60 degrees!) is more easy this way, use lots of power! Icreadable to see that this model cannot be stalled at all, it just lowers it's nose gently where full power must be applied to recover or just dive if you have plenty altitude. Very scale-like!

I also used the same fuselage markings for cg and with gear extended it sit's to the back as you can see on the pictures below. With the gear retracted it sit's spot on the cg. I drilled little holes and hang the model on steel wires which is very accurate.

Best regards,
Gerald

Old 07-01-2009, 02:46 AM
My Feedback: (30)

Hi Gerald,
Your aircraft looks very nice!!!! Since I now have orbit thrust tube, I will be be able to move my CG rearwards, and see how it flies. This aircraft is a delight to fly.
How well does the scale main gear absorb hard landings? and are they capable of grass takeoff and landing with those scale gears?
Regards
Asif
Old 07-01-2009, 03:41 AM

My scale gear is much tougher than the normal struts, believe me, carrier landings have been made! (The weakest point being the nosegear pin to retract.) I fly from gras very often and it works good. I made a new nose gear retract which uses a larger (and more scale size) nose wheel. This is even better for gras or other unprepared surface. The standard Robart nose strut cannot accept any larger wheel so another strut must be installed to do so.

Rgds,
Gerald
Old 07-01-2009, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some pics of my Avonds F16. It´s in the Tigermeet 1991 BAF 31. squadron colorscheme.

I flew it one season in the primer and then I started with replacing the standard gear for the scale gear.
I also added the scale nozzle, static wicks,antennas and a full body cockpit.

Still have to add some smokewinders and a afterburner Led ring.

Also the nose gear has to be scaled up.

Gerald do you know if Philip Avonds has any plans to sell your nosegear design?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11229.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1228222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41066.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1228223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97241.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1228224  
Old 07-01-2009, 10:02 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Hi Gerald. I see how you did the cables to the CG, tail and nose but how did you hang it so it will react to the CG when the gear is extended or retracted? Can you show a picture of your system above the jet? it is not in view. I believe my Falcon is nose heavy and want to move it back some.

Thanks

mb

Old 07-02-2009, 06:19 AM

Very good looking bird you have there Martin! As far is I know Philip doesn't have any intentions of making a scale nose gear yet. I proposed my design but he left it there, maybe not enough market with all those larger F16's of today? You would have to make it yourself or modify other markets retracts.....

Mark, my hobby room in the back yard has large wooden frames on the roof, a metel pin has been installed for this purpose. The thin wires are indeed not visible in the pictures but if you look very good you can see a black rope 20cm above the center where these wires meet. THe black rope is fixed to the roof so the model hangs in the air all the time making the cg shift during gear movement very visible. Just my way . Make sure you don't hang it too high in case of a wire fracture or something so the model just falls back on the gear.

Rgds,
Gerald
Old 07-02-2009, 07:09 AM
My Feedback: (28)

Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

Gerald,
What about you making/selling the scale nose gear? If the price is right I would be interested. Oh yeah, all of my PA 16s have had the cg aft of the recommended. Dont know the amount but I balanced it per recommendations then as I flew it more, I slowly moved the cg back until it "felt right"

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24321.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1228520  
Old 07-02-2009, 08:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Gerald Rutten

Very good looking bird you have there Martin! As far is I know Philip doesn't have any intentions of making a scale nose gear yet. I proposed my design but he left it there, maybe not enough market with all those larger F16's of today? You would have to make it yourself or modify other markets retracts.....

Mark, my hobby room in the back yard has large wooden frames on the roof, a metel pin has been installed for this purpose. The thin wires are indeed not visible in the pictures but if you look very good you can see a black rope 20cm above the center where these wires meet. THe black rope is fixed to the roof so the model hangs in the air all the time making the cg shift during gear movement very visible. Just my way . Make sure you don't hang it too high in case of a wire fracture or something so the model just falls back on the gear.

Rgds,
Gerald
Thanks Gerald! I´m actually quite satisfied with the end result.

Just like tp777fo said, I´m also interesed, so if you have intentions to make and sell the nosegear you designed, please let me know.

The nosegear from Matrix Machine tool Modification Corp. is perhaps also a viable option.

http://home.earthlink.net/~matrixmt/index.html

Old 07-02-2009, 09:50 AM

Me too!

mb
Old 07-02-2009, 11:49 AM

Gerald,
I think u need to make those nose gear for us!!!!!!!!

Regards
Asif
Old 07-02-2009, 01:47 PM

Hi Guys, ha ha, sorry but I won't do that, no time and too much work of the same which I hate. I have however contacted some sources which may help me and I will let you know how that proceeds.

Rgds,
Gerald
Old 07-02-2009, 02:07 PM

Gerald,
Keep us posted.
Regards
Asif
Old 07-02-2009, 02:10 PM

Me Too!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:57 AM

Hi Guys, here's the first (second....) prototype which will be installed in an avonds F16 very soon on test.
Please sent me pm if interested so I know how much to make.

Best regards,
Gerald

test:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpWLm0lcH-Q&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 AM

Hello!
Can anyone tell me what kind of Robart retracts fits this plane ?

For mains and nose.

Best regards

Thomas