Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Another Skymaster Viper

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Another Skymaster Viper

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:01 PM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Another Skymaster Viper

Hi Carsten,

The sponge kept the glue in the void, the void is that large that I couldn't fill it quickly enough without the glue beginning to get firm. Both of the control horns, the part below the skin, were made rough and coated with glue before they were inserted into the elevator. This morning, after the glue set, I attempted to pull the horns loose and was unable to do so. If I would have pulled any harder, I believe that I would have damaged the elevators. I'll keep an eye on them for any movement. Worst case, I'll have to cut them out and install some wood.

Ron,

Glad to hear of the successful maiden! Sorry about the main gear mount but that should be a quick fix for you. I'm anxious to hear of some more of your successful flights!

Are you using the self tapping screws that came with the Viper? To strengthen the mounts, I pressure glued carbon fiber plates to the bottom of the plywood plates and then drilled and tapped the holes for machine screws. This has worked well for me on several other jets over the years.

Are you using the recommended surface throws? Did you find your throws to be ok or will you be modifying your throws?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:19 PM
OttoKranz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron v U

Today finally had the maiden flight of my Viperjet and yes i'am very happy with it.

Everything was OK, plane flies easy, take off was easy, landing was also Ok , only a bit to fast.
So at the end of the field (100 mtr) i turned to the right and because the high speed of the viper it started to slide sideways
and then all the weight of the plane was on the left main gear, so that one broke out.[]
No big problem, end of the week there will be no damage anymore.

Regards Ron
Ron. When I saw the picture I thought to have posted it on the forum, I have exactly the same problem. I repaired it but now don't know what kind of painting I'll use.
I had also a problem on the winglet but it's arriving from SM red painted for 25USD (each one)...
Don't you have any video of the maiden flight?

Ciao
Alessandro

Old 04-18-2010, 08:01 PM
gonzalom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear SM Viperjets experts,

I am about to do the bypass on my Viper for the P-160SX. This is my first ever bypass that I do on a jet so I need some of your expert advice.
The ARF Plus come with the carbon bypass enclosure, the double wall steel pipe and some sort of aluminum bell.

My question to you:

1.- Should I use the aluminum bell if I am doing the bypass?
2.- The aluminum bell is only for installations without the carbon bypass?
3.- Should I install the bell as the image below by trimming the carbon bypass at the back?
4.- What should be the distance of the back of the of the turbine inside the bypass to the biggining of the double wall steel pipe?

I would be so appreciate with your response and if you have some pictures even better!

Regards,

Gonzalo

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43908.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1420516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52218.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1420517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29111.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1420518  
Old 04-19-2010, 12:38 AM
zl1wn

Hi all SM Viperjet experts, another question.

My Viperjet should be on its way down here very shortly and I am trying to get all my questions sorted before it arrives.

Looking back through the thread, there have been a lot of emails about the horns and how to fit them. (thanks Carsten),
and also using the Du-Bro ball ball links.
My question is this. What size push rods have you all used, 4-40 or 3mm and if 3mm where did you obtain that size I haven't managed to find a supplier.

I will be fitting a By pass to my Viperjet, so I will be looking carefully at answers to Gonzalo's questions as well

best wishes to all Viperjet builders
Ross
Old 04-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Ron v U

ORIGINAL: f106jax

Hi Carsten,

The sponge kept the glue in the void, the void is that large that I couldn't fill it quickly enough without the glue beginning to get firm. Both of the control horns, the part below the skin, were made rough and coated with glue before they were inserted into the elevator. This morning, after the glue set, I attempted to pull the horns loose and was unable to do so. If I would have pulled any harder, I believe that I would have damaged the elevators. I'll keep an eye on them for any movement. Worst case, I'll have to cut them out and install some wood.

Ron,

Glad to hear of the successful maiden! Sorry about the main gear mount but that should be a quick fix for you. I'm anxious to hear of some more of your successful flights!

Are you using the self tapping screws that came with the Viper? To strengthen the mounts, I pressure glued carbon fiber plates to the bottom of the plywood plates and then drilled and tapped the holes for machine screws. This has worked well for me on several other jets over the years.

Are you using the recommended surface throws? Did you find your throws to be ok or will you be modifying your throws?

Hi Mike,

Yes, i am using the self tapping screws that came with the Viper and i think it is OK.
As you can see on the picture there is only one piece of wood that is broken, the one on the back is still in good condition and only the screws are pulled out.
I am happy that the screws are pulled out and i think when i made that part stronger there would be more damage.

About the surface throws, yes i used them as they say in the manual, only the ailerons had a few mm more.
All the throws are OK, on the ailerons the Viper reacts very slow, i think in the next flight i will give some more throw or i will turn off the expo for the ailerons ( i used now 25%).

Hi Alessandro,

Sorry, there is no video of the maiden flight.
I am still looking for a new Steven Spielberg.

Regards Ron.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:17 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Congratulations Ron !
Sorry to hear about the problem, but looks easy enough to fix (but it always stinks when something like that happen [:@])
I think you are right, if the mount is made any stronger, something else will eventually break, and that will not be pretty!
Still waiting for my new canopy (actually, bought 4 of them, you never know ), and my bypass. Hope Sverrir's (Selleri) ash is not in the way for the delivery plane
Old 04-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Ron v U

ORIGINAL: Carsten Groen

Congratulations Ron !
Sorry to hear about the problem, but looks easy enough to fix (but it always stinks when something like that happen [:@])
I think you are right, if the mount is made any stronger, something else will eventually break, and that will not be pretty!
Still waiting for my new canopy (actually, bought 4 of them, you never know ), and my bypass. Hope Sverrir's (Selleri) ash is not in the way for the delivery plane
Hallo Carsten,

as you say, easy to fix[sm=thumbup.gif], i think a few hours and it will be ready to fly again.

Regards Ron

Old 04-19-2010, 01:32 AM
Ron v U

ORIGINAL: gonzalom

Dear SM Viperjets experts,

I am about to do the bypass on my Viper for the P-160SX. This is my first ever bypass that I do on a jet so I need some of your expert advice.
The ARF Plus come with the carbon bypass enclosure, the double wall steel pipe and some sort of aluminum bell.

My question to you:

1.- Should I use the aluminum bell if I am doing the bypass?
2.- The aluminum bell is only for installations without the carbon bypass?
3.- Should I install the bell as the image below by trimming the carbon bypass at the back?
4.- What should be the distance of the back of the of the turbine inside the bypass to the biggining of the double wall steel pipe?

I would be so appreciate with your response and if you have some pictures even better!

Regards,

Gonzalo

Hallo Gonzalo,

You don't need the aluminium bell.
Use only the carbon duct and build it in as you showed on your second picture.
Here is a picture how i fixed it.
Distance you can see on second picture, recommend by Jetcat, it should be between 15 and 25 mm.

Regards Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94906.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	1420768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12008.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1420769  
Old 04-19-2010, 02:21 AM
Duncan

Hi Ron

Congrats on your Maiden and i'm also sorry to see the wing, but glad it's fixable.

We had another 2 flights on my Viper Friday at a UK event. All was good, although one of the wheels rubs a gear down and doesn't like going up to start with. It just needs either slightly less pressure in the tyre or the door moving a couple of mm further open. I'm still waiting on the pictures of the maiden, i'll pester him today

Duncan
Old 04-19-2010, 04:05 AM
Ron v U

ORIGINAL: Duncan

Hi Ron

Congrats on your Maiden and i'm also sorry to see the wing, but glad it's fixable.

We had another 2 flights on my Viper Friday at a UK event. All was good, although one of the wheels rubs a gear down and doesn't like going up to start with. It just needs either slightly less pressure in the tyre or the door moving a couple of mm further open. I'm still waiting on the pictures of the maiden, i'll pester him today

Duncan
Hi Duncan,

yes easy to fix, already started with it.
I have cut out the old part, already made new parts.
I am lucky that the hinges for the door are also Ok, only need to glue the hinges back into the door.
Now i need some hysol to glue the mount for the retract back in.
I think (hope) the gear will be back in tomorrow.
Then i only need to use a bit of filler on the surface and sand it and spraypaint it.
So hope to be ready at thursday.

About your geardoors, i think it's better trying them to get a few mm further open.
If you only give the tyre less pressure, i don't think that will be enough.

Regards Ron
Old 04-19-2010, 09:52 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

When gluing the Digitec horns in my control surfaces, I used a bright light from the opposite side to locate where the balsa blocks were. They were there, just not exactly where you would expect them to be.

For the most part, I was able to get them to line up with the servo horn cut-outs. In only one instance I had to use a sponge to hold some glue.

PaulD
Old 04-19-2010, 10:16 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Talking of horns, you guys may like to look at this: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7203928/tm.htm

Mike
Old 04-19-2010, 03:25 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

The instruction book says install the pipe 10mm past the rear former. By rear former, do they mean the piece you glue in with the raised bumps to support the pipe itself, or do they mean the rear of the actual fiberglass fuse?

PaulD
Old 04-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Duncan

They mean 10mm behind the former you hysol in, which ends up about 5mm inside the rear of the fuz.

Duncan
Old 04-20-2010, 12:04 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Talking of horns, you guys may like to look at this: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7203928/tm.htm

Mike
Nice job there , i am always interested to have some of those on stock
Old 04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Duncan

I've managed to get hold of the pics of the maiden. Thanks to Simon for taking them.

A big thanks also to Ali for all his help and advice during the build and of course for doing the maiden for me

Old 04-20-2010, 05:59 PM
OttoKranz

I've managed to get hold of the pics of the maiden. Thanks to Simon for taking them.

A big thanks also to Ali for all his help and advice during the build and of course for doing the maiden for me
Really beautiful pictures Duncan [sm=thumbs_up.gif] ! Congratulation also for the Viper color and finishings and I think you have to put the landing lights.

Alessandro
Old 04-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Carsten Groen

Congratulations Duncan,
I really like the colours
Did you have any problems with the gear and doors ?
Great pictures!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:48 AM
OttoKranz

Duncan, in the first picture the nose gear is almost up... it's Ali that is closing gear 0,1 seconds after take off, right?!?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:03 AM
Duncan

Yep, no point wasting time lol Thanks everyone, i'm really pleased with it, it's had 2 outings so far and 2 people asking how much i wanted for it lol

Carsten,

The gear door mod worked perfectly, there is no sign of them trying to open in flight in any of the manouvers that Ali tried. The only issue i have is i set the doors to open exactly the same amount and the right hand gear just rubs the door and is slow to retract. I'm going to open it a couple of mm more and then it will be perfect (i hope )

Duncan
Old 04-21-2010, 03:07 AM
schroedm

Nice one mate. Looks good.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:09 AM
schroedm

Nice one mate. Looks good.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:16 AM
Carsten Groen

Yep, no point wasting time lol Thanks everyone, i'm really pleased with it, it's had 2 outings so far and 2 people asking how much i wanted for it lol

Carsten,

The gear door mod worked perfectly, there is no sign of them trying to open in flight in any of the manouvers that Ali tried. The only issue i have is i set the doors to open exactly the same amount and the right hand gear just rubs the door and is slow to retract. I'm going to open it a couple of mm more and then it will be perfect (i hope )

Duncan
Duncan,
what mod did you do to the doors ? (I know, I could go back in this looong thread, but I'm too lazy, easier to ask you again )
Old 04-21-2010, 03:30 AM
Duncan

I think i'll make you go back and look lol i moved the pickup point for the ram on the door, outwards about 25mm (i'll measure tonight and check) I changed the rams to BVM units and moved the mounting point outwards from the former by hysoling a bracket to the former. I put a picture of them on the thread and i can't find it on my PC, so you'll have to find it
Old 04-21-2010, 03:35 AM
Carsten Groen

lol
Thanks Duncan, saved me a bunch of work
I think my doors were shut the last time I flew it, however one of the mainlegs was a little lazy getting up, I ended doing a roll to get it up, it might have done it by itself, just didn't want to take any chances....
My canopy and bypass is somewhere beteen China and Denmark at the moment, I'm using the time to mount my lights in the Viper, might as well do something.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.