Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM Electra Jet for ICDF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM Electra Jet for ICDF

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:40 AM
samdimaio
My Feedback: (106)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BVM Electra Jet for ICDF

Might sound dumb BUT thinking about building Electra for Viojett BVM96 - is this feasible? Just dont have the cash right now for the electric stuff. But do have a a few new complete BVM ICDF units that are obviously not worth much, yet are still viable for jets. Thinking is that since the Electra is dimensionally similar to the Viper, perhaps it might be worthwhile to build as ICDF and then convert later. Anyone know if the inlet side OD on the EVF is same as the Viojett? The exit end of the EVF does not appear area ruled like the Viojett for obvious reasons but ...............

Feed back please.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: BVM Electra Jet for ICDF

It's a drop in fit.... I would guess if they can fit 5s 6500 mah packs along side the fan you should have no problem getting saddle tanks in there...

Call BVM I'm sure they can give you a solid answer... but I see no reason why not

Then you could convert it to electric once you have extra cash.... I'd say the only down fall will be all the mess from the fuel, but if it get you flying then you have to do what you have to do

another thing you could consider is useing a TJ 100 or Stu Max fan.. there cheaper than the EVF
and can use 5000 mah packs because of less Amps and lite weight

you could get by with any decent 30c pack... use 3 x 4s packs and your good to go

that's how I'd do it.... I see no reason to run a heavier fan that draws more amps, when it can be done with a lite fan that draws less amps

JMHO
Ron
Old 08-11-2009, 04:01 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Man it hurts to think about all that fuel-oil mess in an electra but I am the same way ill fly anyway I can. BVM is selling some of the refurished EVFs for a real good price and they
have all the BVM backing. A refurb 4010 would be cheaper then a stumax and it would be a drop in fit. You could even save a bit on the batts by getting some other brands. I think Ron said the hyperions are testing out very well. For a 4010 all you would need is 10S and that electra would rock. Do you already have the electra? I went the oppisite route and got the best fan and best batts I could find then ran out of money lol. The thing about the EVF is its so effeicent the Stumax is also but with the Stu you would have to deal with ducting problems because its smaller than the EVF.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Chris True
My Feedback: (14)

You would need to come up with a much sturdier fan mount, the inlet ID / OD is the same. The EVF doesn't have the cylinder head hump so there might be a clearance issue with the hatch but maybe not. On the thrust tube end of things you'd need an old glass thrust tube with room for the pipe and fitting that in the rear fuse could be an issue as well since it is taller.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Ron101

Hey gunradd,

Yes the Hyperion G3 seem to be some really great packs from the testing I've been reading and one of the few that has 6500 mah packs... but the problem is in planes that need saddle packs like the electra or F-86 I don't think the 4s will fit... someone will need to check into that.. but the 4s 5000 mah will fit, you could slip 12s in no problem (3x4s)
They can be found here:http://www.allerc.com/index.php?cPat...79b85c116ddfe5

Gunradd I hear you on the VioFan I think it's a great fan also... but here's my point on the lighter setups... and where in the midst of a true EDF pioneer chris true (he is my hero ... reading his battery care instructions is a must for anyone...and has saved me many packs. thanks chris)

I'll compare apples to apples (12s)

EVF (E-Vio fan) 2.5 pounds $1395 Stu Max 1.8 pounds $745 (+$229 for CC 110 hv) so $974
TP 40c 6500 12s 4.5 pounds $959 TP 30c 5000 12s (3x4s) 3.3 pounds $660

total 7 pounds total cost $2354 total 5.1 pounds total cost $1634 or $1304 with cheap packs (hyperion, XPS, Flight Max Zippy 30c)

and I'm useing thunder power with both examples ... you could uses Hyperions, XPS, Zippys 30c which the Stu Max will work great on and save $330 so the Stu Max setup would be $1000 cheaper

Now lets say we have a 10 pound plane minus the power system:

with the EVF setup it 5600 watts (120+ amps) so at 17 pounds you get 329 watts per pound and a 17 pound plane

with the Stu Max setup you get 4500 watts (95 amps) so at 15 pounds you get 300 watts per pound and a 15 pound plane with an extra $1000 in your pocket

trust me in the air you are not going to feel the differance of that extra 29 watts per pound
the Stu Max is 2mm smaller that the EVF so a small adaptor would need to be made .. not a big deal.

but there's so many ways to skin a cat... I'm just showing want I mean about a cheaper lighter setup.... BVM fan works great but I'd go Stu Max and sound cooler

later
Ron
Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 PM
gunradd

I hear ya Ron lol for some reason I never do light set ups I like the muscle weather I need it or not. But I was talking about the refurb 4010 they sell for 895$ and they have the ESC with them and you could use what ever 10 cell batts you wanted. Dont get me wrong I love Stus Fan he is a pioneer in this along with a few others and the sound of Gordons hawk is amazing. LOL we are all still kinda learing what works and what doesn't work.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Ron101

The 10s EVF does sound like a pretty cool setup
I wonder what amps it pulls on 10s..

and your completey right were all just trying to figure out how to do this at it's best.. and there is a ton of ways to get it done
it's fun to see the routes everyone takes to get it done....

I'm really interested to see you yellow F-16 ... hope you get some videos of that bad boy

I like that fact that your cool talking this stuff out and not having a fan war... that's how we move forward

later
Ron
Old 08-12-2009, 04:09 AM
gunradd

I hope to buy the new F16 today I cant wait. I will need to hurry if I want to make it to Ejets.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:00 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: samdimaio

Might sound dumb BUT thinking about building Electra for Viojett BVM96 - is this feasible? Just dont have the cash right now for the electric stuff. But do have a a few new complete BVM ICDF units that are obviously not worth much, yet are still viable for jets. Thinking is that since the Electra is dimensionally similar to the Viper, perhaps it might be worthwhile to build as ICDF and then convert later. Anyone know if the inlet side OD on the EVF is same as the Viojett? The exit end of the EVF does not appear area ruled like the Viojett for obvious reasons but ...............

Feed back please.
Having had a couple of Electras, I'm with Chris True. The fan mount wouldn't be sturdy enough to handle the vibrations of the glow motor but may be able to be beefed up. The glow Viofan should mate to the intake intake ducting but for the exhaust you would need the older fibergalss ducting and the fan/engine ducting. The EVF sits high in the fuse and there may not be enough clearance for the engine cylinder but I can't say for sure.

My suggestion would be to sell the two Viofans and get and EVF. As Gunradd mentioned BVM is selling refurbished EVF 4010 fans (10 cell setup). With the new Thunder Power 40C batteries these fans are putting out the same power of the older 12 cell setup (EVF 5212 which was good for 170+ mph in the Electra and the vertical is better than any of the smaller fans recommended in the above post). I have flown several different fans, with the exception of the Stumax fan, I and can tell you the EVF is a cut above in performance and efficiency (power and flight time). I have been flying the EVF 5612 in a Yellow Aircraft Starfire and I get more flight time, more vertical, and equavilent speed as the previous fan I was using.

Kirk
Old 08-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

I have 6 flights on my electra and love it! I have the 5212 fan setup with 6500 evo 30c batteries from BVM and can tell you that the new TP40C cells on 10s with the 4010 give you the same power I have and you'll love it as well.The amount of beefing up you'll have to do will hurt the planes perfromance and then you will be unhappy try and find an older viper , aggressor or mavrick if you want to use those viofans with Ic engines. I have a friend with an origanal viper that he might sell nib.