Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

F-18 wing twist

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

F-18 wing twist

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:54 AM
bela

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-18 wing twist

Im having problems getting the numbers to the wing of the f-18C.

I have alot of conflicting sources and wont be able to consult the library for a couple of weeks. I have a Janes aircraft book, but it is 2005 version, which only gives the numbers for the superhornet.

In particular, Im trying to get the washout numbers. Ive read that the wing has zero washout but the wingtip launcher is mounted with negative aoa to counter the f-18 nose high flight tendency. Another source says the wing has 4 degree of twist. most sources Ive read claim 3 degrees annhedral. Each time Ive been around an f-18, Im always locked on the landing gear and slotted double flap setup and always forget to look at the wing twist.

Anyone know the true numbers?
Thanx in advance.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:14 PM
yf222000
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: F-18 wing twist

Hi.

Depends on the model's manufacturer. Most models i have seen usually has about a 3 to 4 degrees washout. Hope this help.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:29 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I think that Bela is talking about the real aircraft...
Old 08-23-2009, 01:47 PM
erazz

ORIGINAL: bela

Im having problems getting the numbers to the wing of the f-18C.

I have alot of conflicting sources and wont be able to consult the library for a couple of weeks. I have a Janes aircraft book, but it is 2005 version, which only gives the numbers for the superhornet.

In particular, Im trying to get the washout numbers. Ive read that the wing has zero washout but the wingtip launcher is mounted with negative aoa to counter the f-18 nose high flight tendency. Another source says the wing has 4 degree of twist. most sources Ive read claim 3 degrees annhedral. Each time Ive been around an f-18, Im always locked on the landing gear and slotted double flap setup and always forget to look at the wing twist.

Anyone know the true numbers?
Thanx in advance.
AFAIK the actual washout changes during flight. The F-18's wing is designed to flex and change during flight to reduce loads and allow a lighter structure.
Either way, if you're planing on making a flying model based on the real wing - don't. You'll end up with a poor flying model. I'd use a thin NACA airfoil with no more than 1deg of washout.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:02 PM
bela

It isnt the airfoil Naca sections Im asking about. It is the twist of the wing of the real aircraft. In certain books It is quoted as being zero degree washout, yet when viewed from the side, the wingtip has an obvious extreme negative AOA. if measured, this AoA seems beyond the sometimes quoted 4 degrees for the wing. Does anyone have access to an early enough Janes aircraft book, that would still have the f-18C wing specs?
Old 08-24-2009, 02:52 AM
erazz

ORIGINAL: bela

It isnt the airfoil Naca sections Im asking about. It is the twist of the wing of the real aircraft. In certain books It is quoted as being zero degree washout, yet when viewed from the side, the wingtip has an obvious extreme negative AOA. if measured, this AoA seems beyond the sometimes quoted 4 degrees for the wing. Does anyone have access to an early enough Janes aircraft book, that would still have the f-18C wing specs?

I'll say it again. The washout changes in flight. On the ground you might see a lot of washout but S&L you would see no washout. I believe that as the G rises you would see washout increase again.
This means that washout on the ground is both irrelevant and coincidental. You can't find the number because no one probably measured it.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:38 AM
bela

Erazz I heard you the first time. and I thank you for your attempt to answer the question, But you are mistaken.

All aircraft wings have physical numbers. If this were not true, then terminology such as incidence, anhedral, dihedral, wingsweep camber,thickness ratio and airfoil thickness would not exist.
I can quote these numbers off the top of my head for quite a few of the modern jets.
Additionally you are mistaken that modeling the scale shape of a wing into a model is an automatic quarantee of a poor flying model... there are additional points to consider....but that wasnt the question. the question was did anyone know the spec numbers of the wing because Im currently deployed and cant get to my resources. I take it that you simply have no idea, but I do appreaciate your taking the time to respond.