Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CD Waiver Sign-off... The Best Propeller Plane for the Test?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CD Waiver Sign-off... The Best Propeller Plane for the Test?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: CD Waiver Sign-off... The Best Propeller Plane for the Test?

Thanks for the comment RHKlenke. I'm sure I will be able to find someone who will meet my needs. I have a 21 lb. Ki-61 Toni with less wing area than my jet that has been clocked at 115 mph level, so I would think it would be close in difficulty once the tail dragger torque is considered. The trike gear jet will surely be easier to take off and will have about the same wing loading once the fuel burns off. My Jet Central Rabbit can go from idle to wide open in 3 secs, so lag should not be much of an issue, especially when I don't back off all the way to idle.

I modified the flaps on the turbinator into split flaps. I find I like the drag they provide in my warbirds and it should make the jet easier to land than the standard flaps in the plans.

Before I fly my jet I would like to run everything by and experienced turbine flyer anyway. If I find someone in my area with a radio I can use to set up a buddy box my problems will be solved. I'll just fly the jet at the demonstration site.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:12 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Yea, I'd sign you off after seeing you fly the Toni - I'd like to see it fly too!

The guys I know with Turbinators say that they fly great. I like your mods - looks good and original.

Good luck - welcome to jets!

Bob
Old 12-11-2009, 05:59 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todd, That will be a sweet flying jet.

Good luck on the jet's completion.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:28 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interestingly, as Gordon was patiently waiting for me to get my F-15 airworthy again, he dusted off his old pumped engine Super Hotz (I think) for me to fly. It had retractable landing gear, was reasonably quick (though not the most important thing by far) and had a silhouette that disappeared fairly quickly. It only went where you pointed it and frequently I commented to Gordon how great a jet trainer it would be. The silhouette was perfect because like most military jets, you had to trust the last attitude you saw it and justify it with the inputs you were giving it. The approaches had to be fairly disciplined (for a prop) because it was loath to slow down.

To me attitude awareness and approach discipline are the two most important things to flying a turbine, speed is a distant forth or fifth.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:12 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: sideshow

To me attitude awareness and approach discipline are the two most important things to flying a turbine, speed is a distant forth or fifth.
Agree completely. Also, for me, a consideration is the first jet that the waver holder is going with. Todd's choice is a very good one and I think his Tony will simulate the silhouette, operating complexity, and approach discipline of the Turbinator very well - in fact, the Toni may be *more* challenging in some ways than the Turbinator.

There must be *somebody* around there that can sign him off...

Bob
Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Hot Rod Todd

Of course I have other planes that would work. My Cermark F-16 with a Jett .90 will hit about 120mph in level flight. It can be a handful to land because it does not have flaps nor brakes. I'm confident the turbinator will be easier to fly.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77432.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1334191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38622.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1334192  
Old 12-14-2009, 02:46 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I think having a turbine for the sign off is a great idea.

About having your CD (or anyone you don't know) buddy box my jet? I have to see THEM fly THEIR jet first. I would suggest you suggest that diplomatically, though!

Believe me, my turbine waiver experience was painful (it cost me $7K as my CD promptly used my jet as a lawn dart after changing all sorts of things in my jet). I should have gone to Gordo(!!) I would still have my jet! LOL! I can't believe I even said that!

I'm of the opinion that MOST jet guys are very helpful. Even my CD that made a mistake, was trying to be helpful.

Raf
Old 12-14-2009, 04:59 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hot Rod Todd

............My Cermark F-16 with a Jett .90 will hit about 120mph in level flight...................It can be a handful to land because it does not have flaps nor brakes.

Don't take this the wrong way but that statement tells me you're still flying it like a normal prop plane. the F-16 is by and far the easiest landing jet (be it turbine, ducted fan or prop driven) out there and if you're thinking you need flaps or brakes on one it's a clear indication you're not pulling the nose up on landings.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Hot Rod Todd

It sometimes comes in a bit faster than I would like, but your right, once in a high alpha mode the plane does slow abrubtly. In some ways that's what makes it different to land. Unlike my typical warbird it will slow up fast once the angle of attack goes up as it comes in. The F-16 may be fairly easy to land for a jet, but I think I'll like the way my Turbinator flies even better. A more conventional wing configuration should make it more like a more conventional aircraft on landing.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33283.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	1334930