Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber Pushrod Ends

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Carbon Fiber Pushrod Ends

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:36 AM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Pushrod Ends

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has used the CF pushrod ends from [link=http://www.connectorsRC.com]ConnectorsRC.com[/link]? They seem quite a bit cheaper than central hobbies and they're the capture type so they protect the Carbon from splitting at the ends??

Thanks for your help.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72311.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1292363  
Old 10-11-2009, 09:20 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Carbon Fiber Pushrod Ends

Yep-Good ends and they are made of better stock. I use JB Weld to afix them. Never come off.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:41 AM
rcdoug
My Feedback: (8)

Take a good look at the section where the threads and piece that goes over the push rod meet. If there is no radius, or the last thread runs right up to the larger section, be carefull. I have had three ( NOT Connectors RC brand) that were machined like that break off right at the last thread. Fortunately when bumped on the ground, not in the air. I am partial to the Central Hobbies style with an aluminum sleeve over the push rod to prevent splitting. No failures, Ever!
$5,000 to $10,000 airplane, $20 C.H. pushrod set, less than 1/2% of aircraft cost. That's not all that expensive.
If you do use the Connectors RC type, I would be interested in what you think of them.

Doug
Old 10-11-2009, 09:57 AM
hooker53

Doug. your right. My intentions were to endorse Central Hobbies ends not the other. Anytime you have a radius at the thread junture thats what you want and nothing else. I Rec some with a Yak 54 last year that were good for nothing but fishing sinkers. I don't think they were made out of stock even as good as 1018 which is on the bottom for our intent. I have made these in a pinch and pickup only 1144 type stock from my stock pile. I also blue them with gun bluing as I do with all the WW1 plane fittings and rigging.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:28 AM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

Take a good look at the section where the threads and piece that goes over the push rod meet. If there is no radius, or the last thread runs right up to the larger section, be carefull. I have had three ( NOT Connectors RC brand) that were machined like that break off right at the last thread.
I found 2 more pics on their website. Is this what you are talking about?

I don't think they were made out of stock even as good as 1018 which is on the bottom for our intent. I have made these in a pinch and pickup only 1144 type stock from my stock pile. I also blue them with gun bluing as I do with all the WW1 plane fittings and rigging.
The FAQ section says these are made of 303 Stainless. Is that strong enough?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51663.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1292426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31586.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1292427  
Old 10-12-2009, 08:12 AM
rcdoug
My Feedback: (8)

Exactly.
Notice where the threaded portion is turned down just before the taper between the threads and body section and the sharp (not radiused) transition from thread to body.
303 S.S. is fine, it's just the machining I would be concerned with.
I forgot to ask, what are you going to use them on?

Doug
Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 PM
hooker53

As Doug stated, 303 is good for the size of these parts intent. 303 has a little more carbon than say 304 or 316 which has almost none if any. Thats why the higher the grade number the less corrosive it is. The radius and metal used is where your strength is. Also, keep the threaded portion as short as you can and cut off the excess after you have sized your length. You are better off with your carbon rod a little longer and the threads shorter.