Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RAM 750F Control unit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RAM 750F Control unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:04 AM
Mattyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAM 750F Control unit

Hey guys,

I started to convert my RAM 750 to semi auto start and whilst playing around my 2 battery leads touched and now my Digital Engine control uit isnt working. Just wondering if there is any way to obtain these ( see Pic)?

I was contemplating getting a ECU etc from a JJ1800 which is where I got the starter, are there any other ECU that would be suitable and under $500. Either that or I may just off load it and by a new turbine :-)

any info appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21909.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1295302  
Old 10-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: RAM 750F Control unit

Matty:

You can use the JJ ECU, will work perfectly, but you need to have a magnet on the spinner for the RPM sensor, what type of spinner nut does your 750F have?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Mattyb

Hey Ruizmilton

You actually helped me a lot previously :-) gave me a manual and suggested starter etc which I got, the spinner is the type that will accept the magnet, already has the hole drilled etc. I was just hoping I could pick up one of the DEC units from somewhere before forking our $500 for the JJ gear
Old 10-15-2009, 04:02 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Contact Andy at Electrodynamics (734) 422-5420. He built those ECUs and he may be able to fix it, depending on what's wrong. Some of the components aren't available any more.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Ruizmilton

Matty:

I understand that the price for a JJ FADEC is USD$200.00 + about $100 for the solenoid valves, the other ECU that will do the job is the Gaspar FADEC, and will cost twice as much. You can make almost any ECU work as long as the parameters are accesible.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Mattyb

Thanks guys,

I found the following at www.xicoy.com/upgrades . I think If i get all this I should be able to convert to full autostart and comes to under 400 Australian If I get every thing on the list which is pretty good I think.

Any thoughts before I order, this should all be good for the 750F

RAM:

There are 2 types of RAM engines.

-Pressure controlled. These engines need to be modified to install a magnet inside the compressor nut to provide a signal for the magnetic sensor, and some need a electric starter. The easiest way is to replace the compressor nut by a Wren MW54 nut, and to install a Wren starter if autostart is desired, although this need a bit of work in the front cover of the engine. Check Wren website for these parts.

-RPM controlled: These engines are directly compatible with our magnetic sensor, no modifications on the engine are necessary. Some engines have a slow speed starter that make difficult the start, we recommend to replace it by a Xseries starter.

Original RAM setup include 7,2V battery, Hausl pump and 6V valves, that are 100% compatible.

The items you need for a full autostart are:

1. FADEC ECU (Choose the manual start fadec if you don't wish autostart)

1. Data terminal (unless you already have one from another engine)

1. Magnetic sensor. RAM 750/1000 the KJ compatible one, RAM 500 the MW compatible.

1. Set of Autostart cables

1. RX cable

1. Thermocouple. 150mm long for 750/1000, 100mm for the RAM500. The original thermocouple could be used if the connector is replaced for a JR type.

2. Valves. You can use the RAM ones, but if you need a replacement you can choose between plastic and brass types of 6V.

1. Battery of 7,4V (DO NOT use any other voltage)

1 FADEC operator's manual.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:23 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It would be worth your while to contact Andy at Electrodynamics as rcmigpilot suggested. http://www.electrodynam.com/rc/index.shtml

He may be able to fix yours or have some spares. He also has an ECU he developed for SWB. Several guys locally have converted old Rams to his SWB ECU and they work well.

Joe
Old 10-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Ruizmilton

Matty:

If you are up to it, the FADEC will work perfectly, If you already installed the starter and place amagnet in the nut, the integration with the FADEC is plug and play...
Old 10-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Mattyb

Thanks Joeflyer, I will get in touch with Andy. If He cant get a a replacement then will go with the FADEC. Plug and play sounds pretty good :-)
Old 10-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Mattyb

Hey guys,

Thanks for everyones input. I have contacted Andy and RTI turbines and unfortunately there isnt much anyone can do. So now I either buy the upgrades from Xicoy or Put it up for sale on Ebay. If anyone is interested let me know. Not sure how much it is worth without the ecu but is has only about 2 bench starts so is still like new.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:31 PM
jrsx-man

I have two of these ram 750 units if you are interested in buying one. PM me.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:19 AM
Hawkflyer

Hi Mattyb try contacting Brett via ausjets or he posts on here under Knobby 1. He would have an idea about the JJ Ecu or other alternatives and is in Aus.
I am pretty sure Ausjets lists all the parts for JJ on the website.
Cheers Hawkflyer
Old 10-22-2009, 04:32 AM
Mattyb

Hey Hawkflyer

Yeah thats who i got my bullet sarter from. have been checking out there website. Still works out more expensive than the setup I posted above. Although I do like to buy in Australia if possible. Am really tossing up now if I should invest to convert or just sell and get a new turbine. Apreciate your suggestion though.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Mattyb

Thanks to everyone, have decided to buy a new turbine so this one is up for sale. If anyone is interested am happy to ship worldwide. Its at

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....STRK:MESELX:IT

Think its a reasonable starting bid considering its still like new :-)