Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Titanium jetpipe??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Titanium jetpipe??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Gerald Rutten

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Titanium jetpipe??

Hi Guys, tried the search option on this but got very mixed and old reviews so let's try again....

Just for the sake of searching every gram to save weight on a next model I'm considering to make my next jetpipe out of titanium, never have used the stuff before.
Does anybode have some detailed experience on using this material, actual thickness to use and if it can be spotwelded easy? I read some scary stories about pipes burning when having a hotstart....

Now I use stainles steel 0.15mm thickness for all my pipes, would the same thicknes suit titanium?

Many thanks!

Best regards,
Gerald

Old 10-27-2009, 05:16 PM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Titanium jetpipe??

Gerald,
If you decide against making your own, we can supply a laser welded stainless steel pipe with an aluminium outer - lightest weight possible.

marcs
Old 10-27-2009, 05:59 PM
idleup1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our light weight raqcecar headers are made from inconel. They are aboiut 1/2 the weight of stainless and 10 times the cost.only used at daytona and talledaga by us as they are too expensive to hurt.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:06 PM
jkpape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, Titanium burns in air when heated to 1,200 °C (2,190 °F) and in pure oxygen when heated to 610 °C (1,130 °F) or higher, forming titanium dioxide.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:37 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

do or don,t

Titanium gets bross when heated to fast or at one spot.
it will crystalize , and behaves like glass.
you will suffer from small cracks , eventually leading to pipe implosions.(seen it and heard it happen)
leading to a crash.
i have seen 2 identical models , both of them suffered from a failed pipe at almost the same number of flights.
one could land , with just minor damage to his rudder servo (cable fried due to the heat comming out of the crack)
other model was a total loss.
however we fly 2 C-arf flash with both titanium pipes , for over 140 flights in less then 6 months.
still no problem , only difference i see is the length of the pipe that could be a problem.
maybe to much vibrations.
lots of people use them , but i would not sell them anymore just there are to many variables then can lead to early distruction (hot starts , wrong allignments etc)

the weight difference was almost 300 grams..[:-]
Old 10-28-2009, 03:22 AM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Since there are know issues with titanium pipes, you might want to consider a hybrid, stainless inner and titanium outter pipe. Gary at Jet Tech made me one and it was several ounces lighter than an all stainless pipe.