Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What do most folks here do?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What do most folks here do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 AM
johnrmartin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do most folks here do?

**EDIT** To avoid personal information the following has been edited **EDIT**

After spending a lot of time perusing this forum, I started wondering what most people here do for a living (not a specific job of industry; just are you a working stiff like me, retired, etc, since I do not want to pry into personal things). It seems that many of the people that post threads in this specific forum have multiple jets. I will grant you that getting into jets is not for the faint of heart, especially the larger kits with the associated larger everything else. Do you all buy more than 1 jet a year? And how often do you fly your jets, especially your larger, more expensive ones?

If you don't feel comfortable answering with what yo do that is fine. I am merely curious.

I am currently tossing around the idea of picking up a YA F-16 of F-18 single and going electric. I could get into jets at a comfortable level money wise and into something a bit larger than the small EDFs whic to me are just not that interesting.

John
Fort Mill, SC

Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 AM
petera38

Default RE: What do most folks here do?

Hi John,

I guess that I belong to the people you refer to, with multiple jets and turbines .....

I haven´t even tried to figure how much money I have invested in this hobby? But I´ve got 5 turbines and a similar number of jet planes all ready to take off.
Due to too little space in my workshop I have started to sell out of my ARF jets! I prefer to build my models from scratch...!
What I´m doing? I´m retired! Moved from Denmark to Sweden. (cheaper to live here) Do not have any debts, and our house is paid for. I´ve got a decent pension...so with low costs as regards living, I can either choose to save my money ...or ...what I prefer...use some of them on my only hobby: J E T S!!
Pete
Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 AM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

multiple jets here. been modeling since i was 14. i am 44 now. and i work like a DOG. 14 hour days are routine here (4 days a week minimum, and the fifth may be 14 too. havent seen an 8 hour day in 2 forever's) . on call all week long. on call evey 3rd weekend. i am an orthotist in the houston medical center, and she never closes. drinking holidays is like a sale on trauma, they flow in like a river. hate to see people do stupid things that get them hurt[], but it keeps me employeed. you break a neck, i see a jet. just kidding. barry
Old 01-05-2010, 09:28 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

If you are interested in getting a Jet, be it Ducted Fan or Turbine, get one, but don't worry about what everone does for a living, it borders on intrusion; I know plenty of Jet Guys and I could care less what they do, I'm not rich, but I spend a fair bit of cash on my Scale Projects; would I like to go Jet? probably not, even if I could afford it, my desire is strictly Scale; so my advice, enjoy the sport, whatever level you decide.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you are of the crowd that thinks Jet pilots are all Doctors, Lawyers and Indian Chiefs just because our toys cost more than yours. We're not! Many of my jet friends are working stiffs like I was. We just budget our money, plan and buy what we enjoy. You can do the same.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Old 01-05-2010, 09:41 AM
gruntled

ORIGINAL: Square Nozzle

It sounds like you are of the crowd that thinks Jet pilots are all Doctors, Lawyers and Indian Chiefs just because our toys cost more than yours. We're not!
What you mean we?

Dr. Sittingbull, Esq.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:50 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hate to see people do stupid things that get them hurt , but it keeps me employeed. you break a neck, i see a jet . just kidding. barry

Barry,

You could have a lot of jets off of me !!!! Do you get paid for fixing brain damage, A Moron, or an Idiot ???? If so, I'm your man !!!!![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

See ya soon !!!!

Danno[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 01-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

Interesting....

I work for a company that makes plastic bottle caps. I am the Technical Service Manager. We have facilities world wide. This allows me to travel anywhere from Hawaii to Budapest and everywhere in between. I have been to Simjet Denmark, Jet Power in Germany, many USA jet meets etc.

I currently have 6 RTF jets with a few more kicking around.

My travelling allows me to attend many jet meets and also meet up with others that share this great hobby.

For a while, I kept a Hot Spot in California so I could fly it when I was there on bussiness. This was great, especially in our winter months until I kinda hit a fence with it. The damage was not bad, just too much to repair without a workshop. I shipped it home and it is all fixed.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:17 AM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

dan, what insurance plan are you on? just kidding, you are to far gone. if you are still haniging with bob covish, you are beyone the realms of my practice. that is, unless i need a jet or something. lets talk. barry

ps, the broken neck thing was a joke. most cervical fx's result in no cord injury at all. just a ride in a halo with regular visits to me to tighten those pins. [X(]
Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 AM
bcovish

ORIGINAL: u2fast

if you are still haniging with bob covish, you are beyone the realms of my practice.
What did I do?[sm=confused.gif] Sitting here minding my own business for once and "BAM" you associate me with a "moron" a.k.a. an "idiot[sm=bananahead.gif]"
Old 01-05-2010, 10:54 AM
johnrmartin

Sorry for any privacy invasion as it was not meant that way. Another of these threads that could get out of hand if folks took somethig the wrong way. It sounds like most people are like me and just budget their time and money. I was probably more curious as to whether folks were still working or retired/semi-retired. With many jet events you tend to see a lot of the same names often so it seems a lot of people travel to many events each year which led me to believe poeple had more job flexibilty or free time than I have so it got me curious. So no more personal questions from me I promise and no more responses as to what you do unless you care to.

But back to one of the original questions. How often do you fly your jets? I am sure eveyone has a "daily driver". But for those of you with multiple planes do you alternate what you fly? Or do you save certain planes for special events? I would not think some of the larger planes (like the Mibo A-10) get flown a every weekend just from a logistical standpoint but I may be wrong. At Joe Nall this year there was a LOT of flying and I saw numerous planes flown numerous times. It seems turbine reliability is so good that there would be no reason not to fly more unless you just don't feel like it. Same with EDFs, since you can charge and go again in an hour or so.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:14 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I run a small business painting motorcycles, unfortunately the last year has been a struggle. I make very little money these days, but I still fly jets...

Well, here is my story, here's how I have ended up with the airplanes I have.

I started flying when I was very young, my dad got me involved. When I was a little kid my dad did pay for my hobby, I admit that and I am very grateful to him for that. When I decided I wanted to explore racers and pattern, that's when he told me "you're on your own kid".
Well, at the time I was about 14, as most kids do, I had part time work, it wasn't working at Mcdonalds or anything, but it was part time work. Since I had the benefit of living at home at that time my money went to airplanes, well, and guitars, my other hobby. I started out with less expensive airplanes than I wanted, but it got me flying what I wanted to fly. As I honed my skills on those less expensive airplanes, I saved up for the next one, when I was close to ready to buy the next one, I sold what I was flying. I was trading up so to speak.
That went on through my pattern flying career until I was about 20. By that time I had bought a Ducted Fan jet which honestly, doesn't amount to anything in this story because on flight number 13 it died...

Needless to say, in my 6 years of flying pattern I had accumulated a lot of equipment. Engines, airframes, retracts, etc. I also still had a number of sport planes, quickies, extra 300 type airplanes etc. All of the pattern planes and engines were purchased by "trading up", in other words, selling old stuff, adding smaller amounts of cash, and then buying new. All the sport planes I had aquired were auction deals, or hobby store clear outs etc. I had very little invested in them, maybe it was just an airframe here, and an engine there, but soon they were complete airplanes.
Anyway, in 1999 I wanted to get into turbines, that was my "dream" in model airplanes, so as much as I liked Pattern, I decided it was time for a change.
I sold off my pattern stuff and bought a Kangaroo and a RAM750. I was very fortunate at that time to be able to pay for the turbine in installments (not something I would ever recommend).
Anyway, I flew that Kangaroo which really, after taking into account all the stuff I sold, only cost me about $1000 in the end. Lets face it, most of us spend $1000 a year on the hobby at least, be it in fuel, or parts, airplanes etc, makes for a cheap hobby.
Anyway, by the time I had my Kangaroo ready, that was my only fancy airplane. I had one sport plane left.
Well, When I wanted another jet, you guessed it, I sold the Kangaroo, kept the engine, and moved on.

Now I will admit that I have been very fortunate in that a lot of the jet stuff that I have now I "horse traded" work for product, I painted a lot of stuff in order to get much of what I have now.

However, let me tell you how much I have spent on the hobby of my own personal money in the last 3 years on jets.

Less than $2000.

However, in that time, I have accumulated 4 engines, and a few more airframes.

Again, I did it by trading up. Selling off airplanes that I didn't have an interest in or were tired of. Yes, I do still trade some work for product, but not a huge amount these days.

How many guys do you know that have 10 or 12 foamy airplanes, all with motors and batteries, RTF, a couple glow planes, RTF, etc.

In short, it's not that hard to get to a jet if instead of buying that next $100 good deal that I don't really need or even really want, or if I don't spend another $150 on an airplane that is a very small version of where I want to be etc, I can save that money up. And, if I liquidate some of the stuff that I haven't flown much or at all, that will put that money together.

It might not get you to your dream airplane right away, but it might be enough to get you up to an entry into that world.
Example

Lets say your dream airplane is an F16 turbine powered model, lets say that jet will set you back $6000.

If you start with something like a Reaction 54, you can buy used for probably around $3000, well, If you can liquidate a lot of the stuff you don't use, you'd likely come close to the cost of the R54. Then, over the next year put those $100 impulses into a jar while flying the R54. Maybe it will take more than a year, maybe it won't, but during that time you may also find a good deal on the airframe for the F16 etc. Buy it in components.

In the end, it takes time, it's not instant gratification like we've come to almost expect in this hobby, but it puts it all within reach.

In the last 3 years, I've turned over probably $15,000 to $20,000 worth of RC stuff, but as I say, it's cost me under $2000 of my own money. Sometimes I end up just making a trade for something that I think will be of more use to me, and then end up being able to sell that item easier.

Of course you still have to be willing to take the risk of flying that model knowing that you could lose it all, any of the jets that I own, if I crash one, that's it, it doesn't get replaced, I simply can't afford to do that.

For years I wanted a JMP Firebird, finally after many many years of "trading up", I was able to sell a jet for the money needed to get the Firebird.

I'm not rich, we get by, in todays economy I'm happy that we can do that, but I can still afford my hobby by being smart about it, and being careful where my money goes.

I also don't smoke, I don't drink regularly, I don't hunt, quad, snowmobile etc. My hobby is my Planes.

Hope that helps some of you to see that your dream airplane may not be as hard to achieve as it sometimes seems.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 AM
bcovish

Retired.
I go to a number of jet events during the year but locally I tend to fly on the weekends when my jet buddies are off go flying. I can have just as much fun flying my Habu or my Boomerang XL
Old 01-05-2010, 11:40 AM
jason

I'm a Gigolo. Ask your wives...

Jason
Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

What do most folks here do? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35...tm.htm#3528364
Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 AM
johnrmartin

Well I started flying in 1990 at Osan AB, Korea (I was active duty USAF until 2006). The club (if you can call it that) actually flew off an active taxiway by the A-10 hangers. Several tours later I bought more planes and flew a LOT. I flew 5 times a week from 1990 until about 2000. For some reason and not really sure why I got out of the hobby with family commitments and sold off everything I had . Now I am at the point where I am beginning the buildup back into the hobby. A couple years ago I got myself a .60 size Extra to build and have finally started on it. Would have started earlier but with a basement to finish on my own and 2 kids in high school sports time was just not there. Well I have my building table back in action and things are progressing nicely. I picked up a new Spektrum DX7 for $150 from a friend of my neighbor a couple months ago. I have everything I need to get 2 planes in the air (Extra and Su-DoKhoi) within the next 2 weeks so I can get out and shake off the rust. These 2 planes will get me started and more will arise from there.

You are right in that I can get into jets fairly inexpensively if I try. A YA A-4 or F-16 with a Dynamax XPS in it would turn and burn with the big dogs on 15S.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: johnrmartin

Sorry for any privacy invasion as it was not meant that way. Another of these threads that could get out of hand if folks took somethig the wrong way. It sounds like most people are like me and just budget their time and money. I was probably more curious as to whether folks were still working or retired/semi-retired. With many jet events you tend to see a lot of the same names often so it seems a lot of people travel to many events each year which led me to believe poeple had more job flexibilty or free time than I have so it got me curious. So no more personal questions from me I promise and no more responses as to what you do unless you care to.

But back to one of the original questions. How often do you fly your jets? I am sure eveyone has a ''daily driver''. But for those of you with multiple planes do you alternate what you fly? Or do you save certain planes for special events? I would not think some of the larger planes (like the Mibo A-10) get flown a every weekend just from a logistical standpoint but I may be wrong. At Joe Nall this year there was a LOT of flying and I saw numerous planes flown numerous times. It seems turbine reliability is so good that there would be no reason not to fly more unless you just don't feel like it. Same with EDFs, since you can charge and go again in an hour or so.

Hi,

Don't pay that silliness any attention. No intrusion at all (and if there were, people could very easily elect NOT TO ANSWER). People always seem to want something to bunch their panties up over. If you're curious about something, ask the question!

As for me, I got into jets when I was a general manager for a (then) very large hobby shop. At that time, I was single and aloof, and had no financial responsibilities. The hobby shop pay took care of my real bills while my "feast or famine" acting career took care of my discretionary (model airplane) expenses. During the "famine" times, I'd work extra hours at the LHS, and during the "feast" times, my boss would let me go off schedule (sometimes for months at a time) to do professional plays and musicals. Some of those were slightly better than minimum wage while some were very nice. I bought my first turbine back in 2000.

These days, I run a performing arts company for teens in San Diego. I'm not getting rich, but it's enough for my wife to not have to work and for me to get an occasional jet.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:04 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm a university professor - I teach computer engineering. I do some consulting work involving UAVs. The consulting money pays the jet bills. I have 2 jets RTF and my son Louie has a 3rd jet RTF. I'm working on a Fly Eagle Rafale EDF right now for next season and have a scratch-built Ziroli Panther for a turbine that should also be flying for next season. The consulting money has gone down some in the past year, so that, and the fact that I'm a bit burned out on ARF's, has led me back to building.

I usually fly my jet on average two weekends a month. Our local field is not really the best for jets as its fairly rough grass, but we have several other places to fly off of hard surface, but they are 1-2 hours drive.

Carefully consider your decision to go electric vs. turbine. Large EDFs take a bit more technical expertise to get working right (I'm no expert myself for sure) and the cost of the batteries make them not much (if any) cheaper than turbines - especially if you don't treat the batteries well and they die on you (fairly easy to do).

Bob
Old 01-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I retired at age 46. Worked for the government in the prison service for 25 years. Age 62. Born & lived in Scotland until six years ago when I moved to Cyprus. Spend nearly all my time building & flying jets. Have a boat & sometimes go tuna fishing. Dabble in the UK stockmarket.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:26 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: jason

I'm a Gigolo. Ask your wives...

Jason

Me too, ask your daughter and your mom!!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:56 PM
madmodelman

I think you will find that not a lot of Jet Jockeys are rich, I have been flying jets for 12 months now, have three engines and four airframes and-my car is 2002 vintage.
All my neighbours have newish cars, sit and watch the tele all night and are miserable, I fly jets now to the exclusion of all my other scale warbirds etc and am very happy, skint but happy, Gary.
p.s. if you don't ask you don't get!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:44 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

I dig holes
Old 01-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Hustler58

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

I run a small business painting motorcycles, unfortunately the last year has been a struggle. I make very little money these days, but I still fly jets...

Well, here is my story, here's how I have ended up with the airplanes I have.

I started flying when I was very young, my dad got me involved. When I was a little kid my dad did pay for my hobby, I admit that and I am very grateful to him for that. When I decided I wanted to explore racers and pattern, that's when he told me ''you're on your own kid''.
Well, at the time I was about 14, as most kids do, I had part time work, it wasn't working at Mcdonalds or anything, but it was part time work. Since I had the benefit of living at home at that time my money went to airplanes, well, and guitars, my other hobby. I started out with less expensive airplanes than I wanted, but it got me flying what I wanted to fly. As I honed my skills on those less expensive airplanes, I saved up for the next one, when I was close to ready to buy the next one, I sold what I was flying. I was trading up so to speak.
That went on through my pattern flying career until I was about 20. By that time I had bought a Ducted Fan jet which honestly, doesn't amount to anything in this story because on flight number 13 it died...

Needless to say, in my 6 years of flying pattern I had accumulated a lot of equipment. Engines, airframes, retracts, etc. I also still had a number of sport planes, quickies, extra 300 type airplanes etc. All of the pattern planes and engines were purchased by ''trading up'', in other words, selling old stuff, adding smaller amounts of cash, and then buying new. All the sport planes I had aquired were auction deals, or hobby store clear outs etc. I had very little invested in them, maybe it was just an airframe here, and an engine there, but soon they were complete airplanes.
Anyway, in 1999 I wanted to get into turbines, that was my ''dream'' in model airplanes, so as much as I liked Pattern, I decided it was time for a change.
I sold off my pattern stuff and bought a Kangaroo and a RAM750. I was very fortunate at that time to be able to pay for the turbine in installments (not something I would ever recommend).
Anyway, I flew that Kangaroo which really, after taking into account all the stuff I sold, only cost me about $1000 in the end. Lets face it, most of us spend $1000 a year on the hobby at least, be it in fuel, or parts, airplanes etc, makes for a cheap hobby.
Anyway, by the time I had my Kangaroo ready, that was my only fancy airplane. I had one sport plane left.
Well, When I wanted another jet, you guessed it, I sold the Kangaroo, kept the engine, and moved on.

Now I will admit that I have been very fortunate in that a lot of the jet stuff that I have now I ''horse traded'' work for product, I painted a lot of stuff in order to get much of what I have now.

However, let me tell you how much I have spent on the hobby of my own personal money in the last 3 years on jets.

Less than $2000.

However, in that time, I have accumulated 4 engines, and a few more airframes.

Again, I did it by trading up. Selling off airplanes that I didn't have an interest in or were tired of. Yes, I do still trade some work for product, but not a huge amount these days.

How many guys do you know that have 10 or 12 foamy airplanes, all with motors and batteries, RTF, a couple glow planes, RTF, etc.

In short, it's not that hard to get to a jet if instead of buying that next $100 good deal that I don't really need or even really want, or if I don't spend another $150 on an airplane that is a very small version of where I want to be etc, I can save that money up. And, if I liquidate some of the stuff that I haven't flown much or at all, that will put that money together.

It might not get you to your dream airplane right away, but it might be enough to get you up to an entry into that world.
Example

Lets say your dream airplane is an F16 turbine powered model, lets say that jet will set you back $6000.

If you start with something like a Reaction 54, you can buy used for probably around $3000, well, If you can liquidate a lot of the stuff you don't use, you'd likely come close to the cost of the R54. Then, over the next year put those $100 impulses into a jar while flying the R54. Maybe it will take more than a year, maybe it won't, but during that time you may also find a good deal on the airframe for the F16 etc. Buy it in components.

In the end, it takes time, it's not instant gratification like we've come to almost expect in this hobby, but it puts it all within reach.

In the last 3 years, I've turned over probably $15,000 to $20,000 worth of RC stuff, but as I say, it's cost me under $2000 of my own money. Sometimes I end up just making a trade for something that I think will be of more use to me, and then end up being able to sell that item easier.

Of course you still have to be willing to take the risk of flying that model knowing that you could lose it all, any of the jets that I own, if I crash one, that's it, it doesn't get replaced, I simply can't afford to do that.

For years I wanted a JMP Firebird, finally after many many years of ''trading up'', I was able to sell a jet for the money needed to get the Firebird.

I'm not rich, we get by, in todays economy I'm happy that we can do that, but I can still afford my hobby by being smart about it, and being careful where my money goes.

I also don't smoke, I don't drink regularly, I don't hunt, quad, snowmobile etc. My hobby is my Planes.

Hope that helps some of you to see that your dream airplane may not be as hard to achieve as it sometimes seems.
Can someone read this to me ? My A D D kicked in and couldn't get to the end ! Just kidding ! That's Cool!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:23 PM
lozza1965

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Firefighter and sex god both demanding jobs and satisfying when in a hot and sticky situation [:@]

Being flying since i was 21, 44 now and been flying jets three years, promised myself just the one got three now, would have been more but spent loads last year on camera gear to try and get some decent shots of the models we fly and a few real ones at that.

Best not mention the motorbikes

Your only here once make the most of it

lozza

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.