Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Comp arf Eurosport Evolution as a first jet / trainer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Comp arf Eurosport Evolution as a first jet / trainer

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 PM
luckyflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp arf Eurosport Evolution as a first jet / trainer

I have a chance to buy a Comp arf Eurosport Evolution. I'm wondering what those who would know feel about it for a first jet/ trainer. I'm interested in knowing does it slow down easily? How are its slow flight characteristics? At our field we are unable to make long flat approaches so these things are important to me. Also any other noteworthy strengths and weakness that are known. I do have an experienced jet pilot that is willing to help me but he has no experience with the Eurosport Evolution. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Luckyflyer
Old 02-08-2010, 09:22 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: Comp arf Eurosport Evolution as a first jet / trainer

The Eurosport is easily one of the best flying jets i'd have the priviledge of flying. Its slow flying characteristics are phenomenal. The field i fly at is a 1000' grass strip that does not allow for long flat approach's. I have to approach over 50' high tree's at both ends of the field and when you get the airplane in a nose high attitude and fly it down with power, you can land in Very short distance. I would have no problem at all recommending it as a first jet. To get it to slow down you just have to pull the power back and get the nose up and she'll fly along at just over a walking pace. Flying this airplane slow is one of my favorite things to do b/c it does it so well.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

After spending the previous 5 years flying 40% gas IMAC aircraft, the original Eurosport was my first turbine jet. I don't think I could have made a better choice. The Delta wing is very forgiving and as Thomas already mentioned can come in at a very slow speed. When I upgraded to a Tam Hornet, I simply weighed down my Eurosport with extra weight to simulate the feel of the draggier F-18 before moving up. The Euro handled the weight easily & prepared me for power-on landings
Best of luck on your first flights, you'll love it! This Swiss was my second Euro. The first one ended shortly after the inverted photo you see here. It had over 300 flights and this was a repaint over of the original yellow ARF scheme.

David S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53888.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1374775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96353.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1374776  
Old 02-08-2010, 09:56 PM
luckyflyer

Thanks for the replys guys. What do you feel is the best size turbine for the Evolution?
Luckyflyer
Old 02-08-2010, 11:00 PM
invertmast

I've got an older Ram 1000 in mine (28lbs of thrust) and honestly it has plenty of push and the verticals are plenty tall enough. So 28lbs would be the least amount i'd want to fly with one. Also trailing link struts are an absolute must! The first one i had, had the original gear that was recommended from C-arf w/ the straight struts and taxing down the runway you could hear how much beating the airframe was taking (and our runway is generally smooth). With the trailing links, everything is just over-all better and the airframe isn't taking as much wear and tear on it.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:53 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy @*&@ David! That's some real flying right there!
Old 02-09-2010, 02:16 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

you want at least 35 lbs if flying from grass on hot days if my bud's euro is any indication
Old 02-09-2010, 07:48 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: dubd

Holy @*&@ David! That's some real flying right there!

You should see the next frame!!!!![X(][X(]

Old 02-09-2010, 08:11 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: highhorse

you want at least 35 lbs if flying from grass on hot days if my bud's euro is any indication

Elevation here is 1238' and summer temps reach over 90*. My old ram 1000 does fine at pushing it off grass. granted it does take an additional 100-200' or so, but it does fine imo. I wouldn't want anything less though.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:14 PM
luckyflyer

One last question, what would the max straight and level speed be with a 36 lbs turbine?
Thanks
Luckyflyer
Old 02-09-2010, 08:37 PM
highhorse

ORIGINAL: luckyflyer

One last question, what would the max straight and level speed be with a 36 lbs turbine?
Thanks
Luckyflyer
Until someone logs on with radar numbers I can tell u this, it's not slow, but it isn't "fast" either, as its a draggy airframe.

Be wary of guestimates, as they often are way off.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No,no no......I flew my basic Eurofighter at 4000 ft elevation on a grass strip with a standard P120. If it weighs between 22- 26 lbs dry that is all the thrust you will need. I have build three of them over the years with the final one being a fully scaled out version weighing 34 lbs dry.

d.w.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:41 PM
highhorse

ORIGINAL: Helijet

No,no no......I flew my basic Eurofighter at 4000 ft elevation on a grass strip with a standard P120. If it weighs between 22- 26 lbs dry that is all the thrust you will need. I have build three of them over the years with the final one being a fully scaled out version weighing 34 lbs dry.

d.w.
Interesting. My bud's must be heavy then, cus on 90+ deg days it takes a good while to rotate outta the grass with a 160.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:12 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: luckyflyer

Thanks
Luckyflyer
My ES was measured at 258 KM/h (convert to your own national standards ) with a P160SE, without any ducting etc, in "flat flight", slight headwind.
Measured with a Stalker Pro radar.
If thats the highest for mine, I don't know, it was just a casual measurement by one of the guys at a meeting
(My Elan went 313 Km/h )
Old 02-12-2010, 05:44 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have measured mine with an Eagle tree ASI sensor and Seagull down link. With a Merlin 160 I was getting circa 160mph most days, and qround 170mph on a cold damp day.
min airspeed was about 35mph indicated, but I am not sure that at the high AOA that this latter reading is true. Actually it seemed much slower!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have measured mine with an Eagle tree ASI sensor and Seagull down link. With a Merlin 160 I was getting circa 160mph most days, and around 170mph on a cold damp day.
min airspeed was about 35mph indicated, but I am not sure that at the high AOA that this latter reading is true. Actually it seemed much slower!
Old 02-12-2010, 07:07 PM
flyexperimental

I had a Rhino in mine,flew it off of grass.I would not want anything less than the Rhino.Speed from gps in Weatronics reciever showed top speed of 165 .Very easy to fly.At times the delta wing was hard for me to see,which in the end was the cause of its demise.I replaced it with a Kingcat , but still mis the Eurosport and hope to replace it if I can find the time to put another one together.I enjoyed flying it more than I do the Kingcat.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:22 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Mine has a Jetcat 160 in her and I can say it will go 160 plus, and its a bullet but its pretty light

Name:	Db85195.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1377361  
Old 02-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Delta Mike
My Feedback: (18)

I have the Eagle Tree telemetry on My Euro powered by the AMT Pegasus HP (37lbs) and we have seen 180 mph passes.. Thats about all she will do..

Name:	By76247.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	1377955  
Old 03-31-2010, 07:00 PM
ricardinho

hello david i have been flying turbines for about a year and a half now. i am flying a boomer elan with a new p80se and am having a ball. i am looking to get a eurosport as a next jet. i am considering a jetcat 120 sx which is 30lbs thrust. the landing with the euro looks very slow. how would you compare the two.. also the rollout with this plane is it pretty short? just want to make sure i am making a good choice. thanks pat rose
Old 03-31-2010, 07:13 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: ricardinho

hello david i have been flying turbines for about a year and a half now. i am flying a boomer elan with a new p80se and am having a ball. i am looking to get a eurosport as a next jet. i am considering a jetcat 120 sx which is 30lbs thrust. the landing with the euro looks very slow. how would you compare the two.. also the rollout with this plane is it pretty short? just want to make sure i am making a good choice. thanks pat rose

The roll-out is dependent on your touch-down speed. You can land it with a bit of speed and stop in 500+ feet. Or you can really drag it in and stop in 150'. I can routinely get the thing on the ground and stopped with moderate braking on a grass field in less than 200 feet.