Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF CT-114 Tutor 2.6m Build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF CT-114 Tutor 2.6m Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:47 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, Andy Kane just quoted me $900 to ship this airframe. I've owned a number of 35%-42% airframes and that shipping rate is absurd in comparison. Is that in line with what you are paying?

I think I'd rather save that coin and drive to Florida to pick up a BVM of this or that.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:54 PM
AKB
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That does seem pretty expensive. Even when they stiff us coming across the border with brokerage fees I have never paid that much. You told Andy that your state was in the USA didn't you? Shipping is a killer now even with low oil prices, makes you wonder if there isn't a little gouging going on. You can do a lot of driving for 900.00.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:00 PM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was interested in another Carf model and did not order it because of the gigantic shipping charges. I know that Carf no longer has a warehouse in the US and planes now either come from Germany or directly from the factory in Thailand, but I could now also order any brand like XtremeARF or Skymaster and would pay the same ridiculous amount for shipping. If Carf would reduce their prices slightly to compensate for the higher shipping charges, I would probably change my mind, but I cannot convince myself to pay up to 25% on top of a kit just to get it to my doorstep.

Thoma
Old 08-31-2015, 02:24 PM
roydefiant

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

AKB,
you are observant, that is the Owatonna field (SMMAC club) in MN. Yes I know Dave, great guy. Have seen his A-10 fly at that field.
This is the jet I flew at the big meet there this year
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	owavamp1.jpg
Views:	1017
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	2117650  
Old 08-31-2015, 03:52 PM
Joe Dirr
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Guy's,

I have a relatively new CARF Tutor with about 5 flights on it so far.

I've been having issues with what seems like differential braking, to the point that the aircraft is uncontrollable towards the end of the landing roll-out. It pulls hard to the right each landing.

I've been reading your posts about the importance of toe-in on the mains; mine have been set neutral, parallel to the wing root per the instructions.

I've since set a couple of degrees of toe-in on the mains, but haven't flown the aircraft since making this change.

At this point, the braking resistance feels about the same on both main wheels throughout; 0 to 100% full brake.

Is it plausible that the 'lack' of toe-in was exacerbating, what appears to be a differential braking issue?

I'm also considering trailing links on the mains to effectively get more weight on the nose wheel; not sure I need to do this though.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks Guy's,
Joe D.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:21 PM
bluelevel

Joe,

you will definitely see an improvement in tracking with the change you made. The plane will most likely be easier to control while taking off and under braking, however, what makes me wonder is your statement that the plane always pulled to the same side. This may either be because of too less toe-in on ONE SIDE or your brakes simply don't work equally. Try it with more toe-in first and make sure the amount is the same on both sides.

If the problem still persists, disassemble and clean your brakes and rims with alcohol. Should one side turn noticeably easier than the other under braking, you could also have a slightly pinched brake line or the brake lines to both wings are not the same length.

Thomas
Old 08-31-2015, 08:27 PM
AKB

Originally Posted by roydefiant
AKB,
you are observant, that is the Owatonna field (SMMAC club) in MN. Yes I know Dave, great guy. Have seen his A-10 fly at that field.
This is the jet I flew at the big meet there this year
Hey Roydefiant
That looks pretty nice. I am sure it shows very well in the air as well. Thanks for posting it.

Alan
Old 08-31-2015, 08:36 PM
AKB

Bluelevel I wonder if they are hammering you with brokerage charges and custom fees at that price. In this country we can if we arrange with the sender we can broker an overseas shipment ourselves. It usually means running around with the paper work back and forth to the customs office ourselves instead a brokerage firm that are paid to do that for you. I have done this several times myself here. If that is an option to you it might save you some money. Custom charges you are probably stuck with because that is where individual countries put their own tariffs that they choose to impose. It is hard to believe that is just all shipping in that price.

Good luck
Alan
UOTE=bluelevel;12092790]I was interested in another Carf model and did not order it because of the gigantic shipping charges. I know that Carf no longer has a warehouse in the US and planes now either come from Germany or directly from the factory in Thailand, but I could now also order any brand like XtremeARF or Skymaster and would pay the same ridiculous amount for shipping. If Carf would reduce their prices slightly to compensate for the higher shipping charges, I would probably change my mind, but I cannot convince myself to pay up to 25% on top of a kit just to get it to my doorstep.

Thoma[/QUOTE]
Old 08-31-2015, 10:58 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Dirr
Hey Guy's,

I have a relatively new CARF Tutor with about 5 flights on it so far.

I've been having issues with what seems like differential braking, to the point that the aircraft is uncontrollable towards the end of the landing roll-out. It pulls hard to the right each landing.

I've been reading your posts about the importance of toe-in on the mains; mine have been set neutral, parallel to the wing root per the instructions.

I've since set a couple of degrees of toe-in on the mains, but haven't flown the aircraft since making this change.

At this point, the braking resistance feels about the same on both main wheels throughout; 0 to 100% full brake.

Is it plausible that the 'lack' of toe-in was exacerbating, what appears to be a differential braking issue?

I'm also considering trailing links on the mains to effectively get more weight on the nose wheel; not sure I need to do this though.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks Guy's,
Joe D.
Joe

It will make a difference, toe out does not bring the light wing down, toe in does. If you brake early, the chance of equal weight on each wheel is almost zero. The Tutor has a huge lifting wing, with big flaps.

Dave
Old 09-01-2015, 02:43 AM
Joe Dirr

Thomas,
I'm using the Jet-tronic low loss valve and I've inspected for kinks in the air lines etc. I haven't disassembled the brake hubs yet, but will do that if the problem persists.
Thanks for the feedback!
Joe
Old 09-01-2015, 02:52 AM
Joe Dirr

Dave,
Good point, I didn't consider that.

Initially, I gave no thought to toe-in due to the nearly four foot wheel base. I figured ground-tracking would be the least of my worries; obviously not.

Regarding the flaps, what have you found to be the optimum full flap position; I've set mine to the recommended per the instructions.

Joe
Old 09-01-2015, 03:46 AM
Dave Wilshere

Joe

I wrote the manual...so its as mine :-)

Regards

Dave
Old 09-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Joe Dirr

Awesome; thanks Dave!
Joe
Old 10-22-2015, 01:03 AM
Joe Dirr

I'm considering installing Behotec trailing link struts on the Tutor mains.
Does anyone know the size / length for best-fit?
Altecare lists the following sizes: 170mm, 180mm, 188mm and 190mm.
Thanks,
Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	c50swingarmstruts%20(1).jpg
Views:	969
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	2126771  
Old 10-22-2015, 01:17 AM
Dave Wilshere

Post 879 shows one option, there are a few using TL legs. 170mm
Old 10-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Joe Dirr

I'll take a look at post 879.
170mm, got it; thanks Dave!
Joe
Old 10-22-2015, 11:19 AM
bluelevel

I'll take a look at post 879.
170mm, got it; thanks Dave!
Joe
Joe, should you think about replacing the nose strut as well, you'll need the 176mm one. This is what I have in my Tutor and it has the exact same length as the stock strut. But in this case you'll need to fabricate a little wedge shaped spacer that goes underneath the front retract mounting plate, otherwise the front gear doors won't be able to close fully.

Thomas
Old 10-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Joe Dirr

Thomas, good suggestion.
The stock nose strut was way too stiff IMO. I've replaced the stock spring with a lighter gauge spring, which helped, but trailing links do such a superior job dampening vs. the straight struts. I think I'll go that route.

Thanks Thomas,
Joe
Old 10-23-2015, 07:29 AM
bluelevel

Thomas, good suggestion.
The stock nose strut was way too stiff IMO. I've replaced the stock spring with a lighter gauge spring, which helped, but trailing links do such a superior job dampening vs. the straight struts. I think I'll go that route.

Thanks Thomas,
Joe
Joe, I only had one "not so good" landing with this plane and this managed to bend my nose wheel strut. After I changed to the trailing gear, the dampening is so much better. Never had any trouble with the mains, though. But having trailing links on all three wheels is definitely a plus.

Thomas
Old 10-24-2015, 02:03 PM
Peter A
My Feedback: (34)

I'm considering installing Behotec trailing link struts on the Tutor mains.
Does anyone know the size / length for best-fit?
Altecare lists the following sizes: 170mm, 180mm, 188mm and 190mm.
Thanks,
Joe
Hi Joe
Actually the Mains are FB155 (so 155mm) and the nose is 185mm.
Not sure how the 170 is fitting but the original set is 155 mm for the mains and 185mm for the nose.

Hope this helps
Old 10-24-2015, 02:10 PM
Peter A

Guys the problem with the Tutor gear is 2 fold:
1- these horrid Intairco wheels, they are extremely rigid ( and very heavy) and absorb nothing and transmit all the energy to the strut and gear plate
2- The bad choice of using straight struts instead of a " trailing link type strut"

I suggest switching the struts to the Swing arm trailing link style which behave like trailing link but they keep the wheel in line with the strut so you do not have to modify the wing, and chuck these Intairco wheels away and get proper wheels with softer rubber.

There has been no end of problems with this gear and you would think CARF would have improved this by now.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:31 PM
Joe Dirr

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the clarification on the trailing link sizes.
I'll give you a call Monday to place an order.
Thanks Peter,
Joe
Old 10-24-2015, 07:04 PM
AKB

Originally Posted by Peter A
Guys the problem with the Tutor gear is 2 fold:
1- these horrid Intairco wheels, they are extremely rigid ( and very heavy) and absorb nothing and transmit all the energy to the strut and gear plate
2- The bad choice of using straight struts instead of a " trailing link type strut"

I suggest switching the struts to the Swing arm trailing link style which behave like trailing link but they keep the wheel in line with the strut so you do not have to modify the wing, and chuck these Intairco wheels away and get proper wheels with softer rubber.

There has been no end of problems with this gear and you would think CARF would have improved this by now.
Hi Peter
Is there any replacement tires we could straight swap out on the existing wheels that would be softer or is there a way we could soften the tires we have already.

Thanks
Alan
Old 10-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Peter A

Originally Posted by AKB
Hi Peter
Is there any replacement tires we could straight swap out on the existing wheels that would be softer or is there a way we could soften the tires we have already.

Thanks
Alan
Yes but the Intairco use 1/4" axles, so depending on what you are replacing them with, you will probably need new axles to match.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:40 PM
Joe Dirr

SAP_2000,
What were the results of replacing the stock Intairco main wheels & brakes with the Skymaster (105mm) F-16 wheels & brakes?
I've got a SM Hawk with similar wheels & brake and they are outstanding!
Thanks,
Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.