Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF CT-114 Tutor 2.6m Build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF CT-114 Tutor 2.6m Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 05:51 PM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally pulled the pug on the Behotec landing gear, but decided against the whole electrical conversion and to keep (for now....) my air system since it's working flawlessly at the time.

Installation was quite easy and kept the doors as one unit (no cutting....). I used Skywarrior's system for attaching the doors to the landing gear. Brilliant idea.....

Hopefully I'm going to be able to fly it this coming Saturday. Waiting on the results in order to proceed with the mod on my second Tutor.

Thanks everybody for sharing your experience and specially pictures. They were very helpful.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 PM
skywarrior

Default Tutor

very nice job. What paint system did you use and is it a chrome finish ?
I am considering changing the air to hydraulic pump and using Benitez e brakes. However the air system has worked flawlessly except for brakes compared with electron brakes on Viper. Am I being stupid here ?
Old 08-09-2018, 07:51 AM
Gonzalo38

Skywarrior:

This plane was painted by Ralf Schneider (Taylormade Decals) and the whole painting process was shown in one of the jet magazines. It's a stunning planes and the pictures don't do justice at how nice and real it looks when it's out in the sun. I understand the painting process involves applying at least 5 different layers of paint in order to really make the silver (chrome) color to shine.

We do have a long runway in our club so brakes have never been an issue. The plane usually lands at very slows speeds so I usually let it roll and apply very little brakes. In summer when it's hot and windy, it could be more challenging since the plane seems to float forever and then good braking is needed.

Will see how the new brakes work....

I'm receiving a new CARF Viper on October so I will see how the e-brakes perform. Will be good for making a direct comparison.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:25 AM
skywarrior

Default Tutor

Hi and yes I know Ralle and use his decals a lot. In fact two years ago I sent him the colour chrome scheme for a quote (see enclosed) but never went through with the deal as I was offered an Air World panther. I had always wanted one of these but it needed work and was the right price so never did the Tutor. I am about to do an aluminium Tutor using a different paint to Ralle ( not chrome this time) and am waiting for the kit to arrive soon. I will transfer all my electronics and running kit from the "Snowbird" when panted and riveted. Should be a painless process.
I have a CARF Viper with Electrons and e brakes which is very good system and another with The original air system which also works 99%. Just one or two problems in 200 flights.
I have also applied 4mm of "Crow" to my Tutor which I find gives me greater control over float and sink which can go on forever if you are not careful. The Viper is a superb aeroplane and you will enjoy. My CG is on the back of the wing bar and seems to work for me.

David

Old 08-10-2018, 06:11 AM
Gonzalo38

David:

Painting the Tutor should be an interesting project, What brand of paint will you be using ?

Cool pictures by the way..... that Panther looks great. Riveting and weathered loom are fantastic.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:05 PM
AKB
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wondering if the stock tube can take a 180. Might consider a P-180 NX. Obviously I have seen here that a few have used 180’s but have they replaced the tube. Thanks AKB
Old 10-30-2018, 11:18 PM
skywarrior

Default Tutor 180

I have used a stock tube and 180 Jetcat without any problems. Remember for a Jetcat the case size and weight for 160 and 180 are the same. It just the internals that are different
Old 10-30-2018, 11:42 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Stock pipe is good for a 200...But that would be way too much power. The 180 is perfect for scale flying. Cruise is at 50-60% with any turbine, it’s a ‘chubby’ glider, but the fat wing and bulky fuselage needs lots of thrust to push when going up.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:00 AM
Canadian Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by AKB
Just wondering if the stock tube can take a 180. Might consider a P-180 NX. Obviously I have seen here that a few have used 180’s but have they replaced the tube. Thanks AKB
Alan. Mine is the stock pipe with the 180 in it. That stock pipe is a stove Pipe!
Are you going with the Behotec trailing struts for the new one?
Old 10-31-2018, 07:19 AM
AKB

Hi Jonathan
Yes I am going with trailing links again. I still have a lot of parts from the previous ones. Going to pick it up today from DYK.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:19 AM
AKB

So guys are we saying the 180 Nx is completely the same dimensions as the 160Sx. I can't find the measurements on the SX. I got everyone from the Dreamworks office, George and an email to Jetcat Germany and I can't get the measurements. I am pretty sure the diameter is the same at 112mm but what's the length including to the starter. Thanks AKB
Old 11-01-2018, 07:33 PM
AKB

Found out directly from Markus at Jetcat he says that measurements are very close to the 160 SX.

Thank you all.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:22 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Sorry missed the question. Yes, same diameter, it’s actually slightly shorter at the front end which makes it easier on models with the tank in front of the turbine like the Tutor.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:19 PM
AKB

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Sorry missed the question. Yes, same diameter, it’s actually slightly shorter at the front end which makes it easier on models with the tank in front of the turbine like the Tutor.
Thanks for this one too Dave.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:30 AM
Neil Guildford

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Has anyone seen one fly with a 140 sized turbine?
Neil
Old 11-04-2018, 08:48 AM
Gonzalo38

Neil:

The Tutor is a very draggy aircraft because of its wide body so it really benefits of being equipped with a bigger turbine. I fly both of my planes with 160 sized turbines and I'm really thinking on using a 180 in one of them. The reason is that in opur club, during summer the wind pick up a lot and the plane suffers a little bit.

Having said all of that, I think that if you keep the build light (no smoke, no pilots, no lights, etc...), you should be able to move the plane with the 140. Just don't spect huge verticals and it will behave more as plane for doing circuits and some rolls.

Lets see if somebody has seen of these planes with a 140 in order to have first hand info.....
Old 11-04-2018, 09:30 AM
Neil Guildford

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
Neil:

The Tutor is a very draggy aircraft because of its wide body so it really benefits of being equipped with a bigger turbine. I fly both of my planes with 160 sized turbines and I'm really thinking on using a 180 in one of them. The reason is that in opur club, during summer the wind pick up a lot and the plane suffers a little bit.

Having said all of that, I think that if you keep the build light (no smoke, no pilots, no lights, etc...), you should be able to move the plane with the 140. Just don't spect huge verticals and it will behave more as plane for doing circuits and some rolls.

Lets see if somebody has seen of these planes with a 140 in order to have first hand info.....
Thank you for your reply. I am having mine painted, lights and two pilots too!...so perhaps a 180 or even a 200 would be best.
Neil
Old 11-04-2018, 09:36 AM
Gonzalo38

Neil:

I'm thinking on installing a Jetcentral Rhino which is a 200 size turbine. If it's too much, I can always dial it back, but I don't think it should be a problem with good throttle management.

By the way, the pllane flies really nice with the 160.... more power is only needed for some very specific circumstances and that's why you will see that most everybody that owns one of these planes, fly with a 160 class.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:28 AM
AKB

Originally Posted by Neil Guildford
Has anyone seen one fly with a 140 sized turbine?
Neil
Hi Neil
I have to agree with Gonzalo that the more this aircraft gets loaded up with all the scale items that you can put on it and it gets around the 40 pound mark and with the drag to thrust ratio, a 160 is a minimum. I have had 3 of them. I starting a build now on number 4 and where I live at 3500' and the fields I fly at are around 3000' I would say a 140 just won't work. I have friends that are talking me into 180 class of engine and I am probably going that route.

I have watched our demonstration team the Snowbirds fly this aircraft at many of an airshow. What the full size Tutor excels at is huge looping and rolling maneuvers and being Canadian I am very proud of their show. I love watching the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds too, but those are front line fighter aircraft they fly and man the brute power of them on display is just totally out of this world. Two different aircraft two different type of capabilities.

What I am getting at when you fly the RC version of the Tutor and you fly as close to an interpretation of scale that the Snowbirds do you maybe able to fly it with a 140, but that means diving for airspeed to do the big high loops and verticals. But I guess if you like most of us RC flyers, that like the big power when we go to full throttle and the quick airspeed that comes with that , then you will get the (what I say to one of my friends is that's a Tutor on steroids). Me I like a little bit of both.

One time when I was flying my Tutor with a 160sx at the local club field (and I had airbrakes cut into fuselage) and there was one hell of a wind, it took full throttle to make the runway for landing. I have never had to do this with jet airframe before. For this application with airbrakes and flaps deployed in landing configuration with the gear down it takes 3/4 throttle on a calm day, just to maintain flight speed.

So yes I think I am going for the P180 NX in this version.
Good luck to you in your road down Tutor Street. It is a beautiful aircraft in the air in the Snowbirds Scheme (my bias though)

Alan
Old 11-04-2018, 12:11 PM
Neil Guildford

Thank you both....a bigger turbine it is then. I'll post some photos when I get it back from Pinnacle Aviation.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:37 PM
Mopar69brt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuselage cradle?

Simon

You were someone I had on the list!

Chris let us know, shipping cost maybe an issue even with a flat pack

Dave
are you still making the fuselage cradle? Just recieved my tutor last week after it being on my list for overr 8 years.... What a beautiful bird
if you are is love to purchase one from ya!

thanks
Adam
Old 11-10-2018, 09:11 PM
Mopar69brt

Simon

You were someone I had on the list!

Chris let us know, shipping cost maybe an issue even with a flat pack

Dave
don't know if stratotanker is still making the speed brake kit but if you read this is love to buy a kit from ya... wrote a message on your YouTube video aswell...

Thanks to all for this great thread... has given me allot of insight for my new build! Much appreciated!

Adam
Old 11-21-2018, 01:03 PM
Mopar69brt

Originally Posted by Stratotanker
Snobird, yes I did! I am going to pick up some plywood this morning and start cutting it today. Will keep you posted.

Chris
hey Chris... you still selling the cradles for the fuse?

tx
Adam
Old 01-05-2019, 05:59 PM
zdsh13

Created some ejection seats and instrument panel for my Tutor, the world of 3D printing has opened a whole new ability to customize our models...

Old 01-05-2019, 07:04 PM
AKB

Nicely done Dave. I've just ordered another Pilot from Maff's for my current Tutor build, that's just on it's way over as of Friday. What engine are you going to be running with? I'm trying the P180NX this time? Using a dashboard I had in a crashed version from a few years ago. Also got my custom decal package from Tailormade in the fall. Gear is in, tanks, most lighting, but will have a smoke tank to make and finish all the nomenclature. Should be ready for spring how about yours? For Princeton or Tofield?

Alan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.