Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

There goes the neighborhood

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

There goes the neighborhood

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:56 PM
AnthonyW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There goes the neighborhood

A friend of mind has worked a little on this project. I guess the A-6 tankers are getting a bit old.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60395.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1380401  
Old 02-16-2010, 01:01 PM
BeanerECMO
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: There goes the neighborhood

Not only are the KA-6s a bit old, they are not in service. They are putting buddy stores on F-18s and S-3s.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 PM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

62' Wingspan and it is 87% the size of the F-18? something doesn't add up here, or am I missing something?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:09 PM
BeanerECMO
My Feedback: (1)

It was never engineered to be a physically small UCAV; however, it's radar signature (as well as a bit of the IR signature) and high altitude profile suit it's mission quite well. Just hope they don't have USN aviators relegated to remote-piloting these things, as the AF has. Of course, AF pilots got all upset when non-pilots were 'flying' Predators and Global Hawks; why the non-pilots just didn't have an appreciation of the complexity of the effort; plus, they wanted their flight pay. Just have them do Mode 1 launches and recoveries. It's moderately surprising how inept full-scale pilots are at remote-piloting. Hire experienced RC flyers, and get the job done correctly.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:35 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Pilots? who need pilots anymore? (even the rc ones).

http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/VideoAbspielen?id=190
Old 02-16-2010, 02:40 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: BeanerECMO

It was never engineered to be a physically small UCAV; however, it's radar signature (as well as a bit of the IR signature) and high altitude profile suit it's mission quite well. Just hope they don't have USN aviators relegated to remote-piloting these things, as the AF has. Of course, AF pilots got all upset when non-pilots were 'flying' Predators and Global Hawks; why the non-pilots just didn't have an appreciation of the complexity of the effort; plus, they wanted their flight pay. Just have them do Mode 1 launches and recoveries. It's moderately surprising how inept full-scale pilots are at remote-piloting. Hire experienced RC flyers, and get the job done correctly.
Beaner,

Unfortunately they are moving away from RC'ers in exchange for "full-scale" pilots; at least in my segment of the industry they are. I have been sort of "grandfathered" in so to speak, but I will be getting my "ticket" soon because I'm not sure how my "grandfather" status will hold up![&:]
Old 02-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 02-16-2010, 06:52 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i aint getn in no pizzn contest, but at the 1 minute mark, sure sounds like some major flutter. you sure that is the show your stuff video you want to post? barry
Old 02-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Erik R

Barry,
You're right.Deleted the post.That just got under my skin.What a tool.
I usually don't bite,but some POS stole my wallet today,and I'm cranky from repairing that damage(credit cards,licenses,etc).
Old 02-16-2010, 07:16 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

bummer erik. stinkin thieves. i was supposed to go to the valley here in texas for their rally of the giants. night before, i see all of these charges on my credit card. i called visa asap and locked down the card. next morning, i get up at the crack of dawn to head down. go to get gas, and yes sir, my debit card was locked too. glad i topped off the tank near the house versus driving 5 hours and finding out i couldnt get gas. i never carry much cash. dont know how i could have gotten home. what a pain in the arse. by the way, what was fluttering on that raptor. they are built like brick house shizzers? barry
Old 02-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Erik R

Barry,

Yeah.Spent all day canceling credit cards,getting a dup drivers license,and temp pilots license so I can go to work on Thurs.Yes, it was flutter.I had the plane for a while,and had never pushed it that hard.I bought it built.Seems the rudder control horn was glued in with cream cheese.I fixed it up with hysol,and layed some extra glass in there to beef it,and she still lives.That was with a 30 lb motor,and she's getting a 36 lb nexus this winter to wake her up a little.

I hear/read alot of ignorant things every day,but that moronic statement got under my skin.I'm better now.Take care,

Erik