Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Digitech Jetcat Information Screen Project!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Digitech Jetcat Information Screen Project!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Digitech Jetcat Information Screen Project!

Nice to see some innovation.

Any reason why you're still using the LED I/O board with it ? I would think this unit would be handier if if obsoleted that board altogether - display 'Ready to start' , ' Cooldown in Progress', 'No start clearance' etc on the srceen rather than still using the Christmas tree lights to get that info.

Also, a small ABS enclosure would be nice - I'm getting tired of all of the 'open-board' stuff that we get - whether it be the original Jetcat ECU (before plastic boxes were invented ), or the IO board, or the Weatronic multiple PCBs, etc. ... I just don't like circuitry to be exposed such that you have to worry about it getting shorted out if you drop a servo screw in the aircraft, etc.

Would also be handy to have a 'pass-through' mode for the cable, so that you could plug your GSU into the other side of this unit if you want to make ECU prog changes etc - rather than having to undo cable, or try a splitter etc.

The above isn't meant to be negative - just some possible thoughts for improvements. Good job.

Gordon
Old 02-22-2010, 02:30 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Nice to see some innovation.

Any reason why you're still using the LED I/O board with it ? I would think this unit would be handier if if obsoleted that board altogether - display 'Ready to start' , ' Cooldown in Progress', 'No start clearance' etc on the srceen rather than still using the Christmas tree lights to get that info.

Also, a small ABS enclosure would be nice - I'm getting tired of all of the 'open-board' stuff that we get - whether it be the original Jetcat ECU (before plastic boxes were invented ), or the IO board, or the Weatronic multiple PCBs, etc. ... I just don't like circuitry to be exposed such that you have to worry about it getting shorted out if you drop a servo screw in the aircraft, etc.

Would also be handy to have a 'pass-through' mode for the cable, so that you could plug your GSU into the other side of this unit if you want to make ECU prog changes etc - rather than having to undo cable, or try a splitter etc.

The above isn't meant to be negative - just some possible thoughts for improvements. Good job.

Gordon

Hi Gordon
you dont need to use the led io board . you can use a splitter i will look into to it and will deliver it together with the unit.
the enclosure is a different story , we want it possible so customers can build it inside the cockpit as a instrument.
so that the display can be implemented.
i think i will lasercut a small abs panel that people can use to mount it.
i will look into a full enclosure , but i know the moulding alone costs a few thousand euro,s to make.
the abs enclosures are the least of the cost.
if the orders are there i see no problem ordering full enclosures .
RJ female connectors
as i mentioned before the unit is so small the connector would be bigger then the unti itself therefor cant do.
but the small splitter we can use for sure.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:47 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: cgroen

As I'm currently waiting for a GPS unit for the ECU, I have no real data to look at.
So, can any of you with a GPS tell me if the G-force is of any use ? If it is calculated from GPS data I would guess it has not too much value, but I might be wrong !?
Trying to decide how much info should be shown in idle, too many screens is not ideal from a user standpoint....

Sverrir, exactly
Carsten

I find the GPS data very useful if only to confirm the wind speed above ground compared to the pitot, also the max G force pulled has scared me on more than one occasion, and told me enough to know not to do that manauvre again with that airframe (I pulled 9.6G with an Elan) in general flying including some snaps and reversals the G is kept within 5 according to the GPS which seems about right, max radius out from the start point and distance travelled can be also very interesting especially if you have mapping software, perhaps you could include all of the info, but have the facility to dissable some screens if wanted.

Mike
Old 02-22-2010, 02:58 PM
gruntled

It would be nice if you could get the GPS data to import directly into Google Earth the way the Eagle Tree does with theirs. It makes cool "spaghetti strings" of your flights.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31959.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1384685  
Old 02-22-2010, 02:59 PM
digitech

ORIGINAL: Socomon

It would be nice if you could get the GPS data to import directly into Google Earth the way the Eagle Tree does with theirs. It makes cool ''spaghetti strings'' of your flights.

we only got a certain limit to the memory on the unit..
but still noted ..
Old 02-22-2010, 03:00 PM
digitech

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

As I'm currently waiting for a GPS unit for the ECU, I have no real data to look at.
So, can any of you with a GPS tell me if the G-force is of any use ? If it is calculated from GPS data I would guess it has not too much value, but I might be wrong !?
Trying to decide how much info should be shown in idle, too many screens is not ideal from a user standpoint....

Sverrir, exactly
Carsten

I find the GPS data very useful if only to confirm the wind speed above ground compared to the pitot, also the max G force pulled has scared me on more than one occasion, and told me enough to know not to do that manauvre again with that airframe (I pulled 9.6G with an Elan) in general flying including some snaps and reversals the G is kept within 5 according to the GPS which seems about right, max radius out from the start point and distance travelled can be also very interesting especially if you have mapping software, perhaps you could include all of the info, but have the facility to dissable some screens if wanted.

Mike
with all the askep option yes i think we will need a "user setup "on what you want to see displayed.
otherwise there will be to many screens switching.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:39 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Good input Oliver!
I'm currently looking at changing/adding screens to the device, my only concern is that there simply is too much data.
So it all boils down to try to minimize the number of screens, but still be able to ''deliver'' the most important data to the user, without having to wait for a high number of screens to pass by
What you could do is have the system display the important in flight data while the engine is cooling down.
Once the temperature of 100 degrees is reached, you could return to the "before start" screen.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: olnico

Good input Oliver!
I'm currently looking at changing/adding screens to the device, my only concern is that there simply is too much data.
So it all boils down to try to minimize the number of screens, but still be able to ''deliver'' the most important data to the user, without having to wait for a high number of screens to pass by
What you could do is have the system display the important in flight data while the engine is cooling down.
Once the temperature of 100 degrees is reached, you could return to the ''before start'' screen.
Thats also a possibility, but here in the "cold north", my P160SX's cooldown in a few seconds during the winter, so maybe not much time.
I don't know if it's a problem with "all the data" in idle, the engine is not doing anything "usefull", so the display might as well show 5 different screens, maybe 3 seconds each, it's just sitting there anyway, so maybe not a problem in practice ?!

Guys, I really thank you for all your input, it's very nice to get a different opinion on stuff like this, when doing things like this, it's very easy to focus on something, very nice to get input in the process, thank you!

PS Sandor, the soldering of two cables on the board is a no-go, the GSU needs the 2 centre wires of the 6 pin connector (it uses I2C comms, SCL and SDA), so we would have to add 2 "spare" pads on the board, which there is not much room for. I think the splitter is a better idea
Old 02-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Carsten Groen

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel
Carsten

Mike
Noted Mike, I wonder how accurate the calculated G force is, if the plane is going flat out, and you yank the elevator, probably not very accurate. It's probably better when doing horizontal turns.
I'm in the process to make a few extra "screens", I will upload an image showing the screens as they could look like a little later
Old 02-22-2010, 04:24 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Sounds like a good idea, I will buy a couple. I think that you have got all the useable data and I am glad you have restored the fail safe data, I think one of the most valuable recorded parameters.

As for G loading, my experience with an earlier jetCat GPS unit, is that G calculated from GPS positions is wildly inaccurate, I have had some outrageous readings, I believe the positional accuracy at the speeds we are flying and the refresh rate are not adequate to calculate an accurate G. One can see why when using 3d plots from the Weatronics receivers with GPS , loops can look very odd !

Now, having seen Weatronics install 3 gyros in a tiny receiver perhaps you guys could incorporate a tiny accelerometer into your device to accurately measure and record G.

Good luck with it whatever you do.

Regards, David Gladwin.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Carsten Groen

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Sounds like a good idea, I will buy a couple. I think that you have got all the useable data and I am glad you have restored the fail safe data, I think one of the most valuable recorded parameters.

As for G loading, my experience with an earlier jetCat GPS unit, is that G calculated from GPS positions is wildly inaccurate, I have had some outrageous readings, I believe the positional accuracy at the speeds we are flying and the refresh rate are not adequate to calculate an accurate G. One can see why when using 3d plots from the Weatronics receivers with GPS , loops can look very odd !

Now, having seen Weatronics install 3 gyros in a tiny receiver perhaps you guys could incorporate a tiny accelerometer into your device to accurately measure and record G.

Good luck with it whatever you do.

Regards, David Gladwin.
David, actually the accel sensor has been discussed between Sandor and me, we decided to leave it out for now, want to keep this display "what it is", a window "into" the ECU, and not much more.
However, there are a few ideas for a coming product, but more when that materializes

I assume the JC GPS is using 1 second update rate, some GPS receivers output data 4 or 10 times pr second, just not sure the teeny little H8 CPU could cope with the datarate
A higer rate would probably improve on the G measurents, but it all goes bananas when doing vertical stuff I would guess....
Old 02-22-2010, 06:08 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sandor

anything that gets rid of the unfinished looking I.O board I have been looking at for ten years has to be a good thing. I'll have three if you can get it compacted into a funky looking case.

Jason
Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: jason

Sandor

anything that gets rid of the unfinished looking I.O board I have been looking at for ten years has to be a good thing. I'll have three if you can get it compacted into a funky looking case.

Jason
There's gotta be some cases available already, that would work. e.g. http://www.polycase.com/?_ctcoderef=...FRD7agod_BVEmg has a whole slew of cases types and sizes.

Gordon
Old 02-23-2010, 12:36 AM
SpiderJets

Congratulations, very nice product.
Put me down for three.

Nicolas.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:23 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: olnico

Good input Oliver!
Once the temperature of 100 degrees is reached, you could return to the ''before start'' screen.
Thats also a possibility, but here in the ''cold north'', my P160SX's cooldown in a few seconds during the winter, so maybe not much time.
I don't know if it's a problem with ''all the data'' in idle, the engine is not doing anything ''usefull'', so the display might as well show 5 different screens, maybe 3 seconds each, it's just sitting there anyway, so maybe not a problem in practice ?!

Guys, I really thank you for all your input, it's very nice to get a different opinion on stuff like this, when doing things like this, it's very easy to focus on something, very nice to get input in the process, thank you!

PS Sandor, the soldering of two cables on the board is a no-go, the GSU needs the 2 centre wires of the 6 pin connector (it uses I2C comms, SCL and SDA), so we would have to add 2 ''spare'' pads on the board, which there is not much room for. I think the splitter is a better idea
I think that you're right. The screens could be displayed one after the other for 3 seconds.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:33 AM
NightSwan

Cool project!

On the GPS G-units, they come directly from the NMEA datastream from the GPS receiver, so it depends on which receiver you use how the G-force is being calculated.

The problem with the 'strange' readings is, that the jetcat ECU only shows min/max/average values, you always have some strange spikes, and that's what is reported as min/max (I dont believe there is any intelligent filtering inside)
Averages are always quite good, so I'd vote for showing the G-force data from the ECU. At least on my rookie it always looks like valid data.

Also, maybe one button to toggle on/off the display? (maybe I didn't read correct, and it is in there :P )

Hans
Old 02-23-2010, 06:34 AM
NightSwan

ORIGINAL: Socomon

It would be nice if you could get the GPS data to import directly into Google Earth the way the Eagle Tree does with theirs. It makes cool ''spaghetti strings'' of your flights.

Can't you do that already with the Jetcat ECU and a datacable?

Hans
Old 02-23-2010, 07:08 AM
NightSwan

ORIGINAL: NightSwan

Cool project!

On the GPS G-units, they come directly from the NMEA datastream from the GPS receiver, so it depends on which receiver you use how the G-force is being calculated.

The problem with the 'strange' readings is, that the jetcat ECU only shows min/max/average values, you always have some strange spikes, and that's what is reported as min/max (I dont believe there is any intelligent filtering inside)
Averages are always quite good, so I'd vote for showing the G-force data from the ECU. At least on my rookie it always looks like valid data.

Also, maybe one button to toggle on/off the display? (maybe I didn't read correct, and it is in there :P )

Hans

When trying to search for the docs again, I'm finding my archive a bit 'messy' - like my workshop

Can't seem to find any info on the G-force/nmea part. Could have been the beer

If I find it, I'll give some more info. Otherwise it'd still be cool to show the ECU's interpretation of G-force

Hans
Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 AM
RoLe

Hi Carsten and Sandor

Really a super nice product. But keep it simple and at a attractive price level! In my opinion we just need the basic info, otherwise just connect the original GSU.

Maybe the next idea will be an internet connection where we can chech our bank account...

Regards,
Roar
Jets of Norway
Old 02-23-2010, 11:33 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: RoLe

Hi Carsten and Sandor

Really a super nice product. But keep it simple and at a attractive price level! In my opinion we just need the basic info, otherwise just connect the original GSU.

Regards,
Roar
Jets of Norway
I totally agree
Old 02-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Gordon Mc

Maybe the next idea will be an internet connection where we can chech our bank account...
Or just a connection to your cellphone, with an app that connects you to someone who remotely checks and adjusts your ECU parameters, etc. At $1 per minute, of course

On the topic of 'next ideas' for ECUs - I think it's time the ECUs started taking an SD card or similar, to store data longer term ; then pull your SD card out, plug it into your 'puter, and get an analysis of trends ... fuel pump voltage going up slowly ? - time for a filter change / flush, etc. Ditto for being able to upgrade your ECU firmware (the BMT already allows this), transfer your settings from one ECU to another, etc.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:54 AM
digitech

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Or just a connection to your cellphone, with an app that connects you to someone who remotely checks and adjusts your ECU parameters, etc. At $1 per minute, of course

On the topic of 'next ideas' for ECUs - I think it's time the ECUs started taking an SD card or similar, to store data longer term ; then pull your SD card out, plug it into your 'puter, and get an analysis of trends ... fuel pump voltage going up slowly ? - time for a filter change / flush, etc. Ditto for being able to upgrade your ECU firmware (the BMT already allows this), transfer your settings from one ECU to another, etc.

Actualy Gordon we are working on a Wireless aplication also that works with bluetooth.
it can read life data up to 900 ft from the jetcat ecu
i got a prototype working but this is one of our future apps.
we need to write a Windows mobile app for that..
we got some many idea,s but so little time.....[]
Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 AM
tothemax

+2
Old 02-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: digitech
Actualy Gordon we are working on a Wireless aplication also that works with bluetooth.
it can read life data up to 900 ft from the jetcat ecu
i got a prototype working but this is one of our future apps.
we need to write a Windows mobile app for that..
we got some many idea,s but so little time.....[]
Sounds good to me ... keep us advised.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:05 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sandor/Carsten

Looks like the need for a few different versions, one with just the basic information, one with all the information on the GSU and then one with every bell and whistle you can think of, bluetooth, smart card, navigation, anti stall, swimming pool and hot tub. LOL

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.