Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FEJ very large F/A18 maiden

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FEJ very large F/A18 maiden

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 AM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FEJ very large F/A18 maiden

I'm all for following AMA rules but why is it that the 200 mph rule is ok to brake and when people talk about it is ok ? People talk about it here all the time and while one or two people might bring up the 200 mph rule most people use words like "awesome" or "cool" when talking about going faster than 200 mph. I'm just wondering why this rule seems to be ok to brake. Thought ?

Thanks
Albert
Old 05-30-2010, 11:21 AM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: as722

I'm all for following AMA rules but why is it that the 200 mph rule is ok to brake and when people talk about it is ok ? People talk about it here all the time and while one or two people might bring up the 200 mph rule most people use words like ''awesome'' or ''cool'' when talking about going faster than 200 mph. I'm just wondering why this rule seems to be ok to brake. Thought ?

Thanks
Albert
Just my opinion, but I don't think that it is "ok" to break the 200mph rule. It's just that in real life, the rule is virtually unenforceable. Without either a radar gun, or a stopwatch with measured distance gates, it is impossible for the human eye to tell the difference between an RC jet moving 199mph and one at 210mph, or even higher for that matter. Without some type of measuring device, judging the actual speed is nothing more than speculation. I use to have people swear to me that my Rhino powered Tam Hornet was exceeding 200mph on downwind speed runs. We checked it one weekend at Buttonwillow with a radar gun and found that the jet maxed out at about 165mph downwind after a dive. No way it could exceed 200mph! That is the problem with human perception, we almost always guess high when it comes to the speed of a moving object.

David S
Old 05-30-2010, 03:53 PM
MathewFoxx
Banned

Speaking of rules and safety; should there be a maximum number of crashes permitted each year before a pilot gets his waiver pulled?

How many crashes can a pilot have before common sense just dictates that a pilot is simply not good enough to fly jets?

Many pilots can't do 3 consecutive flights without having to repair their jets, and simply bring a whole air force to the field so they have enough airframes to last them the day or the event.

Those pilots are the dangerous ones. Flying 205 mph on a downwind pass or being a few lbs overweight is no big deal compared to the pilots who fly aircraft that are way to advanced for them, but unfortunately they can afford an endless supply. How pathetic it is to see a waiver holder not being able to do a left or right hand pattern, fly on a buddy box or even needing a more experienced pilot to land the planes for them. I'm sure you've all seen all these scenarios and worse.

I think the waiver system needs to be updated with harder test flights in order to obtain one.

Make two classes. One that allows trainer type aircraft like Boomerangs, and another expert class for the heavy metal.

The expert waiver flight should include 3 consecutive flights without repairs, landing and approach from all directions (wind permitting) and maneuvers that actually takes a little flying skill to obtain. The beginner waiver can use the current system.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:31 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Great ideas, Mathew, and perhaps both systems (beginner and expert) should require an annual proficiency check for all waiver holders.

Regards,

Jim
Old 05-30-2010, 04:59 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto, good input there Matthew.

A two tier waiver system would be great. A pilot should not be allowed to fly a heavy and fast jet unless he has passed a more complicated waiver flight test. This could save us from public lynchings like this one. If you have an Expert Waiver, there would be no question about your flying skills.

And, more importantly, it will weed out the current waiver holders who have no business flying advanced jets. With a more complicated waiver test flight, there can't be any question if a pilot is qualified or not. Just make the test flight something that demonstrates safe flying skills. The current waiver flight sure does not require much piloting talent.

Just like in the real world of aviation... You get a license for a single engine piston plane, but have to get further training for jets and multi engine. It is not possible to put all types of jets under the same waiver. Just because you can land a Boomerang or Reaction, does absolutely not qualify you to fly a BVM F-4 or Firebird.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:38 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

When it comes to Experimental Waivers the pilot is being evaluated.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:21 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I believe that common sense should rule. A test is no more than a waste of time and can in no way insure that someone who passes a test has enough common sense to do the right thing when it comes to piloting an RC model whether it is turbine powered or a glider. IMHO, the number of RC planes crashed in a year should not be a determining factor when considering canceling or denying a waiver to anyone. Total disregard for the safety of people and property should be the only reasons to pull a waiver. [8D]
Old 05-30-2010, 08:45 PM
MathewFoxx
Banned

David, it seems that in this case, common sense has not been the solution. There is a group of people who wants to ban Kevin from flying jets, so who's common sense should be the deciding verdict?
With an "Expert Waiver" system you would have two clear answers here.

1. If Kevin could not pass the waiver test, he would have a valid reasoning because his skills were not sufficient.

2. If Kevin had passed the Expert test, he could tell the guys who questions his flying skills to go pound sand.

Only in a perfect world would common sense be a viable solution.
As for the number of jets crashed. Don't you think that someone who has 10 or more crashes in a year needs to be monitored? It is a sure sign of lack of flying skills and therefor automatically that pilot puts property and people in more risk than the pilots who don't crash.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:04 PM
quist

I don't know of any jet pilot at our field that wants to BAN Kevin from flying jets.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:37 PM
MathewFoxx
Banned

Quist, the way I read the post from Kevin was that a letter was sent to the club stating that his flying puts the club at risk.

If that does not involve a jet flying ban, what would the action against him be?
Old 05-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Can you imagine if we actually had some sort of 'crash count' going? What would that do? We go around keeping tabs on other peoples' crashes?? I can see it all now.... The guys who have the little steno pads in their shirt pockets will be the same guys at the field who bring out their Hobby Shack trainer, set it up but never fly it. Then the high-profile guys would have to hire additional henchmen to spin doctor the crash reports/rumors on RCU.

Seems like this would lead to nothing but more weenie-size contests.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:13 AM
quist

ORIGINAL: MathewFoxx

Quist, the way I read the post from Kevin was that a letter was sent to the club stating that his flying puts the club at risk.

If that does not involve a jet flying ban, what would the action against him be?
To me a BAN seems forever.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:48 AM
readyturn
My Feedback: (9)

Where are we going with this thread????

It all started with an individual wanting to put out some info on his project; what he found and msitake that were made in the build. All good stuff.

Now, we have this public cry going out on a ban. How did we get here? If there are issues at his home field, let those issues be discussed within the club's membership, not here! [>:]

Thanks
Rick
Old 05-31-2010, 11:06 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: readyturn
Where are we going with this thread????
Well, I dunno where everyone else is headed, but I'm still waiting to hear who it was that supposedly 'instructed' Kevin not to weigh the aircraft.

Gordon
Old 05-31-2010, 12:01 PM
Kmarks
My Feedback: (36)

To All:

After countless conversations, emails, letters, and PM's it is now time for me to place this post.

I had broken a very important rule with the AMA. I should have under suspicion of weight limitation followed AMA Rules, that at the time I was unfamilair with. I was excited, I had called friends to help, and when I for the first time fueled this jet to capacity realized it was heavy. I made the wrong choice. I made a big mistake in not closing it down and following the proper restrictions and procedures for weighing this jet, being accurate and following appropriate procedures.

I have been attacked by some I know and by arm chair hangmen hiding behind their avatars and computer screens. I have also had many notes telling me to hang in there. This is a hobby we should be enjoying, and it has not been that way for me, lately. I am not deflecting my guilt, but maybe this event will bring knowledge and compliance to others and some real good may prevail.

I am sorry to the entire Jet community, my local flying club and to others my careless actions my have effected.

My lack of compliance will be handled with and my punishment forth coming. This will be handled by the appropriate entities.

I have been badgered once before and my answer to all those who seek specific information regarding me, my personal information, or the items that belong to me is this. If it is not stated by AMA or local governance that certain information need be made public, then you are not entitled nor privileged for this information.

My Sincere Regrets and Apologies to all.

Kevin Marks
Old 05-31-2010, 12:18 PM
3DAV8R
My Feedback: (39)

"Let he who is without sin cast the first turbine wheel" we have all done it. Don't know you Kevin but hang in there!! To everybody, Its Memorial Day, grab a beer and thank a Vet.

Steve
Old 05-31-2010, 12:59 PM
RonTins

I don't know you Kevin, and we have'nt spoken before. I've been following this thread and I feel you had good intensions when you started this thread. Hang in there. Just like the previous guy stated, "Let hw ehow feels is wityhout sin cast the first stone". I'm sure I'm not alone by thinking that this thread is gone way overboard.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:17 AM
ScaleKing

SH*#....I am just reading this thread two years later and it has given me the most INCREDIBLE headache. Some of these guys carry on worst than PMS'N women. And all this over what??? Anyway I can understand Kevin's frustration over this at the time because it was done to me at one point as well right here on RCU. If the thread was started about the build then fellas KEEP IT TO THAT. If you need to find out something else or have other comments then PM!!!!

Nuff said.