Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

MANEUVERING TANK

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

MANEUVERING TANK

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 PM
P38J
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MANEUVERING TANK

I recently started adding what I call a maneuvering tank to all of my jets that have molded conformal fuel tanks. Because of the unusual shape and other restrictions of some of these tanks the fuel pickups are placed in less than optimal locations. The clunks cannot be easily made to follow the fuel through heavy maneuvering. This causes air buildup in the UAT followed by a flame out if you continue maneuvering for too long. By placing a small (8-20oz) standard polypropylene tank with a good clunk installation directly ahead of the UAT you increase its air handling capacity. Good fuel delivery can be maintained throughout the entire flight. I think anyone flying a jet with a less than optimal fuel pickup location should consider installing a maneuvering tank if they’re doing anything more than flying the pattern. Just something to consider.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Sonicwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MANEUVERING TANK

Hi Wayne,

When you say, ahead of the UAT, Do you mean before it, between the main tanks and the UAT ???
Maybe some pics would be helpfull...

Cheers Jeremy.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:18 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Hmmmm...my Lightning has one of those...supplied by Comp.ARF. The two mains draw into a small "header tank" above the inlet ducting that then is drawn into the UAT.

It works for me anyway.

B

Old 06-03-2010, 10:43 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

I was thinking exactly the same thing for my upcoming FB Panther build. The saddles are ok but the main is a nightmare.

Thanks for the post.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 AM
P38J

ORIGINAL: Sonicwings

Hi Wayne,

When you say, ahead of the UAT, Do you mean before it, between the main tanks and the UAT ???
Maybe some pics would be helpfull...

Cheers Jeremy.
Yes Jeremy I mean before the UAT. I know not all installations will need this, but there are some ARF's who's included tanks will not feed a steady stream of fuel at anything less than level flight. These are the systems that could benefit from having this tank installed.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Rush!

Is it the same thing as a header tank? 

I was planning on putting in a small 12-14oz header tank to supplement the conformal tanks in my SM F16 so was just wondering if they're the same thing?  noob here...  forgive me

Rob
Old 06-04-2010, 09:51 AM
highhorse

Yup. What the original poster is referring to IS a header tank. Not to be confused with a UAT or air trap, though, which is a special form of header and usually only 4oz.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:57 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Ahead of my 4oz header tanks I now also run a 2oz pre-header tank and am thinking about a 1oz pre-pre-header-pre UAT tank

Hmmm, I had a EuroSport which I put about 50 flights on with a coke bottle for a tank and nothing else. Never failed on me. I do now run UATs but there has to come a point where things are just getting too involved???

Mark
Old 06-04-2010, 10:08 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...tm.htm#9624964

Old 06-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Wayne,
Since i only fly in circles with no aerobatics... this does not apply to me, BTW i always called that a "hopper tank".
V..
Old 06-04-2010, 01:09 PM
highhorse

ORIGINAL: schroedm

Ahead of my 4oz header tanks I now also run a 2oz pre-header tank and am thinking about a 1oz pre-pre-header-pre UAT tank

Hmmm, I had a EuroSport which I put about 50 flights on with a coke bottle for a tank and nothing else. Never failed on me. I do now run UATs but there has to come a point where things are just getting too involved???

Mark
For most apps "another" header would be overkill for sure. But some mains and auxes are just nearly impossible to avoid pulling air from due to very irregular shapes.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 12 ounce "header" or "Hopper" tank in one of my jets for this reason as well as to add a few minutes of reserve fuel. It's a basic square tank made by DuBro with the fittings for Kerosene. The main tank is a relatively flat and wide tank making it a bear to get all the fuel out without sloshing and sipping air every once in a while. I always land with main tanks and saddle tanks completely dry and still plenty of fuel in the "Header, Hopper, Maneuvering" tank or whatever we call it! The UAT is completely full, no air at all. Not every plane will need this of course, some sport jets are blessed with just one high volume main tank with perfect clunk placement!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:18 PM
P38J

as I said before this is not needed in all fuel systems. if you already have a header tank in which the clunk can follow the fuel in all attitudes then you should be fine, some kits don't.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:20 PM
P38J

ORIGINAL: Vincent

Hi Wayne,
Since i only fly in circles with no aerobatics... this does not apply to me, BTW i always called that a ''hopper tank''.
V..
Vin, you fly some of the best circles I've ever seen!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

BTW i always called that a "hopper tank".
Let me guess, your turbine is a Rabbit? - John.