Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Total lock out on JR12 2.4Ghz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Total lock out on JR12 2.4Ghz

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:17 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Total lock out on JR12 2.4Ghz

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Just when I was about to pull the trigger and switch to Futaba, I find a discussion on another 'giants' flying forum where a guy's q500 race plane lawn-darted. He was using a 12FG. It can be found on that Giants Flying forum under ''Futaba 12fg problem and crash.''
Futaba, JR, Scaretronics.... they ALL crashed a plane at one point or another. That being said, what brand of radio system would you consider buying now?? [&:]
Old 09-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am considering purchasing the new Unobtanium 18X-FG. 78.2 GHz reliability paired with a quantum computing reciever with Heisenberg servos driven by a small matter/anti-matter power cell (regulated to 105 volts).

Only the BEST!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:42 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Dang I just saw the add for that and thought I was going to have it first!

ORIGINAL: Woketman

I am considering purchasing the new Unobtanium 18X-FG. 78.2 GHz reliability paired with a quantum computing reciever with Heisenberg servos driven by a small matter/anti-matter power cell (regulated to 105 volts).

Only the BEST!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:53 PM
3dsky
My Feedback: (84)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So tell me again why I should use 2.4 when we have to share it with just about any device. I have switch back to 72 on my bigger planes, I have had no problems with the JR RX’s (using the FM and PCM) for over 20 years and will go back to using the 2.4 on smaller electric/foamies. I think we were forced into 2.4 by the park flyer market (Toy Airplane) and were told it is bullet proof when it looks like it is not. Not all of us fly toys. At least the 72 band had 50 channels that we did not share with too many other devices. I feel safer using the 72 band since I have no problems at all. It is hard to tell at this point which system has is better since we do not know how many systems are in use for each manufacture, it may be to new of a technology to clam bullet-proof. I am using Futaba and Spektrum and currently Futaba 0 hits, Spektrum 6 hits, 1 plane, and one landing gear. I am just going to sit back and see want comes out next. This reminds me when PCM came out we heard the same type of stories (lock out then crash) then magically everything started to work.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:05 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR
Futaba, JR, Scaretronics.... they ALL crashed a plane at one point or another. That being said, what brand of radio system would you consider buying now?? [&:]
Well, that's the big question.

I thought I'd settled on the 10CG, but I need more than one channel with servo-slow capability. So, I looked at the 12FG, even though that would stretch the budget. Then I discovered all this stuff about software update problems, uncommanded aileron movement with throttle movement, elevator problems, etc., with the 12FG. And $1400 for a 12Z...ygbsm!!!...would probably be a divorce issue, too.

So, I'm back with my trusty (so far) x9303 looking like the prettiest puppy in an ugly litter.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:55 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Only the BEST!!!
I've been using the beta version.

It still has problems with the matter/antimatter constrictor propagator.

The problem doesn't affect the flight of the model but whenever you input left aileron it fries one of your balls.

I've had my balls replaced 3 times but at least I come home with a jet every time.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rjbob

Only the BEST!!!
I've been using the beta version.

It still has problems with the matter/antimatter constrictor propagator.

The problem doesn't affect the flight of the model but whenever you input left aileron it fries one of your balls.

I've had my balls replaced 3 times but at least I come home with a jet every time.
Well guy's I think I have got all the bugs worked out on mine.... The Anti-matter constrictor propagator works fine if you adjust the knuter valve to 165.5 in/lbs. I have also solved the "Ball frying " with my new lead-lined J-Strap and utilizing the new water / etholyne-glycol cooled antenna. It also seems overall performance is increased by re-tuning to 78.1 ghz while operating in the northern hemisphere due to the corrialous rotation of the coolant in the antenna system. If you do get a Master Alarm indicating Overload, Immediately activate the "Vehicle Destruct" command, throw controller and run like hell !!!!!!![sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=biggrin.gif][sm=biggrin.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 09-18-2010, 07:26 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's someone selling a 14mz for $1300... I used one for quite awhile, great radio!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/FUTABA-T14MZP-2-...item3cb0ea6336
Old 09-18-2010, 08:06 AM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch
Here's someone selling a 14mz for $1300...
The seller doesn't indicate Mode 1 or Mode 2.

The 2 pictures in the ad appear to be each mode.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Woketman

But Danno, if you solved the "ball frying" issue, you are not gonna get a new set every weekend. That is my favorite aspect of this new radio!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:38 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The trouble with adjusting the knuter valve is it activates the cloaking device, I put it down to re-adjust the hyper alergnic drive and now I can't find it.

Mike
Old 09-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Woketman

Don't worry. It will have to de-cloak to fire weapons or transport.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:41 AM
john josey

I had another seven flawless flight`s with my turbine powered f-16 yesterday (about 100 to date) with my 12x. but every time i go to take off it`s at the back of my mind....will it be the last.

The issues that obviously do exist, although i dont beleive they are anything to do with low voltage or even the non channel hopping of the DSM2. We flew for many years on one channel/line of cummunication on 35/72mhz with no problem.

I was starting to lean towards poor fitting/bad connections of the remote RX` to the main reciever causing the lock out`s, but the orange light`s would flash to let you know this had happened.

I should maybe also say i`ve had a few hundred flight`s in total (all on 4.8v apart from the f-16) on the 12x with various RX`s with not even a hint of trouble.

The only model that has had high readings on the flight log including frame losses and even a couple of holds is my weston magnum, but noticed nothing when the model was actually flying.

john
Old 09-19-2010, 06:09 AM
hotspot 01

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had another 6 flights on my Rookie today but I must say with the problems people are having and freinds moving to Futaba every flight was a see what happens event but saying that I have not lost a plane to JR 2.4.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:09 PM
3dsky

I think the problems are dependent on where you fly. If you think about it FASST is getting hit by the same RF interference as DSM2. We are sharing the channels with unknown sources and it depends where you fly. DMS2 may not do well under areas where heavy use of the 2.4 Spectrum from industrial use. Channel hopping is just never in on place long enough to get hit. DSM2 is stuck on 2 channels and is a fixed target. What I do not understand is, I thought the DSM2 (all 2.4 systems?) system had a MAC address or some sort of data string that identifies the TX and RX. If that is true how can it be hit? The RX should only act on data tha tmatches the TX signal. It should go into failsafe and I have yet to have a problem plane go to failsafe or even blink the lights.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:51 PM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

very good thought...[X(] mabe, a module on our heads, would get a, cleaner,stronger siganal?? i dont like things like,dont touch the antenna,point it a apretty girl, ect..[X(]
Old 09-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The DSM systems get hit because in an environment with heavy signals in all channels (or the two channels being used) all frames are lost, whereas on a FHSS system only the frames on those channel are lost, if you think about it, since all FHSS transmitters turned on at a time are not synched to each other, each is using alternate channels at a time, this happens so fast that the information available, even with the losses, is enough to keep the link. All 2.4 systems use a code that's specific for each transmitter, in DSSS if the two channels used are blanked out or "overwelmed" by many signals, the code just does not help because the signal may not reach the receiver for the same reasons above. The code allows the receiver to respond to the transmitter it is bound to, but the channel has to be open for a long enough period of time for the frames to pass. In FHSS, open channels will be available almost always.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:53 PM
3dsky

Great explanation “Ruizmiton”…….. I am going to stick to my conclusion that DSM2 is good for my small electrics (Bind-n-Fly stuff) and use the FASST system for my larger planes.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:20 PM
VF84sluggo

ORIGINAL: 3dsky

Great explanation “Ruizmiton”…….. I am going to stick to my conclusion that DSM2 is good for my small electrics (Bind-n-Fly stuff) and use the FASST system for my larger planes.
Had this exact discussion today at the field, and it seems this is becoming the concensus, even from some long time die hard JR/Spek DSM2 folks. While I don't want to lose ANY plane due to bad 2.4 technology, even my PZ T-28 (a dumb-thumb is my problem and I can live with that), I sure don't want it to be the cause of losing a big $$$ turbine.

However, I think we all know that regardless of the manufacturer, nothing man-made is 100% fool-proof. I think all we're looking for is the 2.4 system that makes that risk as minimal as possible. It's crazy, I have no reason to be loyal to JR/Spektrum, but I feel odd as I realize I'll most likely have a Futaba FASST setup in my L-39 before I maiden it in the next week or so.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Ruizmilton

ORIGINAL: 3dsky

Had this exact discussion today at the field, and it seems this is becoming the concensus, even from some long time die hard JR/Spek DSM2 folks. While I don't want to lose ANY plane due to bad 2.4 technology, even my PZ T-28 (a dumb-thumb is my problem and I can live with that), I sure don't want it to be the cause of losing a big $$$ turbine.

However, I think we all know that regardless of the manufacturer, nothing man-made is 100% fool-proof. I think all we're looking for is the 2.4 system that makes that risk as minimal as possible. It's crazy, I have no reason to be loyal to JR/Spektrum, but I feel odd as I realize I'll most likely have a Futaba FASST setup in my L-39 before I maiden it in the next week or so.

VF:

If you have the same situation like me (Hate Futaba programming/Hate Spektrum system) your best compromise is the JR/FASST module, that's what I did, if you want to retain JR's programming capabilities, the minimum you need to get from Futaba in a Radio is the 12FG, any radio below it is not camparable to a 9303, even less a 11X or a 12X.

Yet if you think a 10C can do what you need, I have a 10C at a very attractive price in the classifieds
Old 09-19-2010, 05:37 PM
FILE IFR

but I feel odd as I realize I'll most likely have a Futaba FASST setup in my L-39 before I maiden it in the next week or so.
'Sluggo, in the words of a JR/ Specktrum rep, their radios "Ain't too bad". Good luck on your brand choice of guidance for your L-39. [8D]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6jw8o0y61I&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 09-19-2010, 06:21 PM
VF84sluggo

ORIGINAL: Ruizmilton

If you have the same situation like me (Hate Futaba programming/Hate Spektrum system) your best compromise is the JR/FASST module, that's what I did, if you want to retain JR's programming capabilities, the minimum you need to get from Futaba in a Radio is the 12FG, any radio below it is not camparable to a 9303, even less a 11X or a 12X.

Yet if you think a 10C can do what you need, I have a 10C at a very attractive price in the classifieds
That's it exactly. The x9303 offers more 'stuff' than the 10CG, and just looking at the .pdf 10CG manual...wow, big learning curve there. Another problem is I use my x9303 for all my planes. I'm not sure how easy it is to use the module for an L-39/FASST rx setup, then remove it for my JR/Spek setup on other planes.

So, I look at the 12FG, but a die-hard Futaba guy said don't do it...bad TX. Folks have had problems with it (couldn't help but respond, What??!!, thought Futaba was the Holy Grail). So, next up is the $1400+ 12Z...say baby! Big $$$$. Not gonna happen.

And here I end up back with an x9303, AR9100 with 4 remote rx's, and my fingers crossed that I'm not next to have DSM2 bite.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:29 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I just maiden'd my JMP Firebird this weekend with a JR12X and 1221 receiver, not a glitch, rock solid. I also put multiple flights on my Raptor again this weekend, all at 220+mph with an AR9000 receiver with one satellite receiver.
I have no issues with JR/Spektrum, if you set it up correctly, make sure the radio is on and transmitting before you turn on the airplane, and basically, follow common sense, they work perfectly. At the Princeton rally this weekend the radio's were significantly more JR than Futaba, the only unexplained crash this weekend was a Habu with a Futaba FASST system (not saying it was the Futaba radio though, we have no idea what happened, control was simply lost).
I crashed my Habu as well on Spektrum, but that was a lost connection between the brain and the thumbs, nothing to do with the radio LOL
Old 09-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Ruizmilton

Spektrum's system will work OK under a specific set of conditions, some will never experience any issues, but in simple terms, there are better systems, there is no need to risk a high dollar plane with lesser technology, most of the parameters that will cause a Spektrum system to fail, away from the installation, are beyond the user's ccontrol, the other systems just eliminate some these issues. Just because it works for some does not mean it's subjected to the same issues as others, since they are different technologies, they cannot be compared. DSSS requires at least one of the 2 channels to be clean all the time, FHSS just require one channel open out of 80 a few times a second.

Are you willing to take the risk even though you know there are more robust RF systems just because you prefer a brand?
Believe me, I'm a hardcore JR guy, but under no circumstances will fly a jet on the spektrum system.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Woketman

ORIGINAL: Ruizmilton

So, I look at the 12FG, but a die-hard Futaba guy said don't do it...bad TX. Folks have had problems with it (couldn't help but respond, What??!!, thought Futaba was the Holy Grail). So, next up is the $1400+ 12Z...say baby! Big $$$$. Not gonna happen.
HUH? What is the badness of which you speak about the 12FG "bad TX"??? What exactly is the problem????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.