Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jetcat mounts.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jetcat mounts.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:50 AM
Sonicwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetcat mounts.

Hi all,

I have a new Jetcat 120SX, and am doing the mounting into my jet, Now i have concern with the mount strap setup,
One thicker strap, one thin strap, both very soft ally, and the straps dont join up... How do you know when the strap is tight enough around the turbine ???
Are these straps strong enough ???
I just watched a vidio of a Wren 120 run, its mount straps look a whole lot better... I Sorta expected better from a company as big, and whom have been around a
Bunch of years....

Cheers Jeremy.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:04 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Jetcat mounts.

Jeremy

Don't worry about it these straps have been used on the JetCats since they came out, without any problems, just make sure you put them in the appropriate position with the thin one on top and the large blanking screw inside the slot, that will automatically line up the bottom slot, the only thing I have done with them is to discard the bolts that are supposed to screw them together and put wood screws into the turbine mount, I understand that the new JetCat mount has welded nuts on the mount, it just used to be a tapped hole.

One other thing, the straps are not symmetrical so if you turbine mount is in the middle of your eflux outlet then the large dia strap needs to be packed up by an appropiate amount to get the turbine in the centre.

Hope this helps
Mike
Old 06-10-2010, 05:20 AM
Sonicwings

Hi Mike,

Ok thanks for sharing your thoughts... Yea i got fixed nuts on the thick strap, which realy are in the way, but ive worked around that,
Just seem pritty crapy mounts to me, and im having trouble deciding how tight to do the bolts that clamp up the case,
the thin small mount has its tabs bending, and i got several mm gap, if i tighten any more, its just bending the tabs...

Chrs Jeremy.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:52 AM
raptorlogo

Hello Jeremy,

Don't be afraid with the several mm gap and the bending tabs...this is normal with the Jetcat mount !

Regards,

Alain
Old 06-10-2010, 06:33 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeremy, these straps have proven to be reliable with hundreds of engines.
The new 120SX straps have been improved by the insertion of blind nuts.

To get the proper tightness, just turn the screws till they are all in contact with the straps working in a star pattern. Then add two turns for each screw.
On the first engine run at full thrust, verify that the engine does not slip in the bracket. After the first few flights verify the tightness of the straps when the engine is warm. Then you'll be good for many flights...
Old 06-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Sonicwings

ORIGINAL: olnico

Jeremy, these straps have proven to be reliable with hundreds of engines.
The new 120SX straps have been improved by the insertion of blind nuts.

To get the proper tightness, just turn the screws till they are all in contact with the straps working in a star pattern. Then add two turns for each screw.
On the first engine run at full thrust, verify that the engine does not slip in the bracket. After the first few flights verify the tightness of the straps when the engine is warm. Then you'll be good for many flights...
Hi Oli,

Thank you for your sharing your experience on this, now im wondering if a little blue loctite on the 4 clamp bolts is a good idea ???

Cheers Jeremy.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

No!

Locktite is evil... it does not need any.

Dave
Old 06-15-2010, 12:47 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know about everyone else, but the RamTec compatability of the JetCat straps seems to be a bit out of date, the majority of jets avialable today require the straps to be equal top and bottom, I think it would be much better to supply equal straps as standard and the RamTec straps as an exta, what do others think?

Mike
Old 06-15-2010, 10:30 PM
bob1393
My Feedback: (10)

Jeremy - Dreamworks sells mounting straps for JetCat turbines. Here is th link:

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/inde..._74_77&&page=4

These are not made by JetCat, but by a local Boeing engineer in the Seattle area. These mounting straps are a thing of beauty and just might be what you need.

Bob
Old 06-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Sonicwings

ORIGINAL: bob1393

Jeremy - Dreamworks sells mounting straps for JetCat turbines. Here is th link:

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/inde..._74_77&&page=4

These are not made by JetCat, but by a local Boeing engineer in the Seattle area. These mounting straps are a thing of beauty and just might be what you need.

Bob
Bob, Hi,

Sounds good, but im only seeing Standard Jetcat mounts, or the ring type BVM has, Am i Missing something ??? Would love a Decent Aftermarket Mount
To finish off my Turbine...

To all whom have replied with there thoughts, Thank you heaps...

Cheers Jeremy.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:46 AM
roo

Hi. I cannot see them there either. Paul.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:03 PM
ricardinho

hello dave long time no hear. question for you. what idle setting do you have on your 120sx. i had a friend of mine get a flame out on his titan today. he had it set at the minimum 33000. that was the reason. what do you think. i dont want this to happen to me...take care...pat