Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

I broke the code !!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

I broke the code !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 03:41 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I broke the code !!!

This post is in reference to the "Portable Generator" thread. After finding out that there is a newer version of the Honeywell HW2000i that Honeywell did away with the "Primer Pump Bulb" on the newer version. I called Honeywell and the confirmed this. They do not have a Tech Support Dept. so they refered me to my local Honeywell dealer. They said to bring it in, they would check it out and upgrade if possible... 3-4 weeks. After finishing my Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwinch, I went out in the garage and upgraded it myself[sm=idea.gif] !!!!. Upon removing the Bulb assmy and checking it out I figured out that that thing doesn't pump fuel at all !!!!! It goes from a nipple on the fuel pump inline to the carb. The fuel flows throug a different line that has a inline filter and you can see the fuel. I've owned weedeaters and such with the same bulb but they always had fuel in them.It must pump air pressure somehow to "prime the carb"... That thing don't prime crap !!!!! So with the Bulb assmy on the bench, I went into the shop and cut me a piece if brass tubing and connected the 2 hoses togeather !!!!.. This Generator has been sitting in the trailer with no fuel in it for months. I turned the fuel selector on, set it to choke, And she fired right up on the second pull !!!!![sm=tongue_smile.gif] I let it run for 10 min. , turned the fuel off, let it sit 10 min. went back out there, turned the fuel on, choke on... Fired up again on second pull !!!!! I be happy !!!! So, come on boys, you too are only a Phillips screw driver and a 1" peice of brass tubing away from showing that no starting POS who's Boss !!!!

Ya'll let me know how you do !!!!

Danno[8D]
Old 06-30-2010, 03:50 PM
saddler
My Feedback: (93)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I broke the code !!!

You da man Dan! I don't have one of those generators but i just wanted to tell you that you da man.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:51 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

LMAO! You go gurl!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's sweet!
I must have got you thinking
glad you got it figured out, I have no bulb on my newer version and it starts like a champ.. sound like the bulb was just messing things up
Old 06-30-2010, 07:34 PM
rcjetsaok

ORIGINAL: Ron101

That's sweet!
I must have got you thinking
glad you got it figured out, I have no bulb on my newer version and it starts like a champ.. sound like the bulb was just messing things up
Yea you did !!!!!... I thought it wouldn't hurt to try it out !!!!! Works great !!. Just went out and started it again after sitting for 4 or so hrs.. Fuel on, choke on, switch on, pulled once... Generator on !!!!!! Too Cool !!!! Thanks for you post and input, RCU definetly came in handy on this one !!!!

Danno
Old 07-01-2010, 01:20 AM
jedijingle
My Feedback: (45)

How well does it fly? Can you start a build thread please.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:28 AM
rcjetsaok

ORIGINAL: jedijingle

How well does it fly? Can you start a build thread please.
It doesn't fly, but if I had an airplane big enough I have a good APU for it !!!!!!!

Danno
Old 07-01-2010, 12:08 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about an assembly pic
Old 07-01-2010, 06:30 PM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the Danno Vinci Code to solve the mystery of the Honeywell. Works just like Danno said. Just bypassed that lame squeeze bulb and sent it packing. Took 4 pulls on the first start, generator hadn't been run for over a month, and started on the first pull each time after.

Thanks Danno! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-01-2010, 07:27 PM
rcjetsaok

ORIGINAL: f106jax

I used the Danno Vinci Code to solve the mystery of the Honeywell. Works just like Danno said. Just bypassed that lame squeeze bulb and sent it packing. Took 4 pulls on the first start, generator hadn't been run for over a month, and started on the first pull each time after.

Glad it works !!!!! It lets me know mine wasn't a fluke deal... Maybe all this was the payback of getting such a good deal at purchase..[X(] Mike, was yours full of fuel or what... mine was and the book and video says to have it full when starting... I guess the final test will be to start it with a low fuel tank and see how it does... I would think it should be fine. Let me know if you or anyone tries that before me. I'll plan to test mine Saturday...

Danno
Old 07-01-2010, 07:37 PM
P. Richards
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You know they got those new fangled contraptions called solar panels they will eventually
replace them generators. Congrats on firing up that old dawg...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 PM
f106jax

ORIGINAL: rcjetsaok

Glad it works !!!!! It lets me know mine wasn't a fluke deal... Maybe all this was the payback of getting such a good deal at purchase..[X(] Mike, was yours full of fuel or what... mine was and the book and video says to have it full when starting... I guess the final test will be to start it with a low fuel tank and see how it does... I would think it should be fine. Let me know if you or anyone tries that before me. I'll plan to test mine Saturday...

Danno
Danno,

Mine was full fuel. I'll be taking it to Kentucky next week so I'll get a better idea if the Danno Vinci code is the final fix. I'm betting that it is.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:51 PM
rcjetsaok

Danno
Danno,

Mine was full fuel. I'll be taking it to Kentucky next week so I'll get a better idea if the Danno Vinci code is the final fix. I'm betting that it is.

Coool !!! Have fun at the event !!!!!

Danno
Old 09-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

I had a lot of problems with mine this past week. Not starting, it just didn't want to stay running. Ended up giving it away. Oh well, maybe this thread will help the new owner.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 AM
rcjetsaok

The rest of the story.... Started it yesterday, first time since July... Turned on the fuel, choked it, 5 pulls and she fired right up !!!! 7 months !!!! [sm=thumbup.gif] That baby knows who it's Daddy is for sure !!!!!

Danno[8D]
Old 02-22-2011, 07:12 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

what in the hell???

hey, bring over the scale when you get some time. weather doesn't look good for a test flight this weekend so I might just drive her up and down the driveway before heading to Tucson

Old 02-22-2011, 07:19 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Danno
Your timing on bringing this thread up is uncanny...

I just bought one of these from a guy for a ridiculous price that I just couldn't pass up, the reason for the low price was he said he couldn't get it started and he thought the fuel primer bulb was bad.
He only used it a couple of times.... this information is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:13 AM
rcjetsaok

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

what in the hell???

hey, bring over the scale when you get some time. weather doesn't look good for a test flight this weekend so I might just drive her up and down the driveway before heading to Tucson

What u talk'in bout ??? Saturday says 80 degrees and South @ 10... TMS it is!!! Me and Jimmy Boy gonna Maiden the Roo !!! I'll be up there tomorrow pm , Tied up thursday, and back to Ft Worth Friday... Call me !!!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:15 AM
rcjetsaok

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Danno
Your timing on bringing this thread up is uncanny...

I just bought one of these from a guy for a ridiculous price that I just couldn't pass up, the reason for the low price was he said he couldn't get it started and he thought the fuel primer bulb was bad.
He only used it a couple of times.... this information is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
Hope he doesn't read RCU... He'll be P1$$ed !!!! Good for you, Let me know how you end up !!!!

Danno
Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 AM
RCISFUN

.... Upon removing the Bulb assmy and checking it out I figured out that that thing doesn't pump fuel at all !!!!! It goes from a nipple on the fuel pump inline to the carb. The fuel flows through a different line that has a inline filter and you can see the fuel. I've owned weed eaters and such with the same bulb but they always had fuel in them.It must pump air pressure somehow to ''prime the carb''... That thing don't prime crap !!!!! So with the Bulb assy on the bench, I went into the shop and cut me a piece if brass tubing and connected the 2 hoses together !!!!.. This Generator has been sitting in the trailer with no fuel in it for months. I turned the fuel selector on, set it to choke, And she fired right up on the second pull !!!....

Danno
What am I missing here?

Now that I opened up my newly purchased used generator I found that the primer bulb was missing some internal parts, (i.e. check valve) I confirmed this with the previous owner who said the bulb cover came off one day and he screwed it back on but thought something was missing.

With the internal part missing the bulb is nothing more than a straight piece of pipe, which leads me to my question 'What am I missing here with using a brass tubing and connecting the 2 hoses together"???

I did an internet search and found the following explanation on how the primer bulb works, as it turns out it is used to get fuel up to the bowl by actuating the fuel pump (The primer bulb is the vacuum source for the fuel pump)
It goes on to state that " On two stroke engines they are powered by crankcase impulse. On this generator, variations in intake manifold pressure operate the pump. Pumping on the primer bulb simulates these pressure variations and pumps fuel to the carb. Once the float bowl on the carb is full, the float needle closes, and the pump stops working."

So that explains why the two hose would need to be put together as this is the primary vacuum source for the pump, however it doesn't explain how that fixed the priming issues????[X(] [X(]

So i am still confused...

The following is part of the article that I found at http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=26555

This does NOT squirt fuel into the intake like the similar looking primer bulb on Tecumseh lawn mower carburetors. (Tillotson carbs) Instead it actuates the fuel pump and allows you to fill the carb bowl. Like the primer bulb on an outboard boat motor fuel line.

The fuel pump is needed because the carb is high mounted, and the fuel tank is not high enough to gravity feed. This is a safety feature, as a stuck car float will not drain the tank, spilling gasoline everywhere. The fuel pump can only move fuel when the engine is turning.

The fuel pump is of the diaphragm type common on two-strokes. On two stroke engines they are powered by crankcase impulse. On this generator, variations in intake manifold pressure operate the pump. Pumping on the primer bulb simulates these pressure variations and pumps fuel to the carb. Once the float bowl on the carb is full, the float needle closes, and the pump stops working.

So unless the float valve is stuck open, you can't flood the engine by overpumping on the primer. Also if the primer bulb is not working then you will have to fill the carb bowl by pulling the rope many times. I suspect this is the cause of one of the negative reviews floating on the net. Most of the other reviews praise the easy starting. If the bowl is full, and the choke and ignition switch is on, it should take no more than 5 pulls to start the engine. More than that means something is wrong and you need to stop swearing find your tools, and fix it.

To test the primer bulb:

You are going to spill a little gas, so go back and read post three if you skipped it. Turn off the gas valve. Drain the float bowl by lossening the angled screw on the bottom of the carb. Drain the line with the fuel filter
by removing the line from the fuel pump or from the filter. Replace the line, tighten the bowl drain, and turn the gas valve back on. Watch the fuel filter while you pump on the primer bulb. You should see gas filling up the line and filling the filter. Give it about 50 pumps, and check that fuel comes out the carb drain when you loosen the screw.

If the primer bulb is not working you need to fix or replace it. In the mean time you can fill the carb bowl by taking a hose, sealing it into the fuel neck with a rag, and blowing into the hose, thus pressurizing the tank. Warning. Make sure the end of the hose is above the liquid gasoline. When you release the pressure, gas fumes are going to come back up that hose. Seal the end with your tongue while drawing the next breath, and pull the hose out of the tank when you are done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71409.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	1568743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12335.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	1568744   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28345.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	1568745  
Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 PM
rcjetsaok

Rich,

Everything in those pictures gets tossed.... You will put a brass tube as a coupler to replace that whole assmy. The generator will have an empty hole where the bulb was.... Unless you want to mount back in there for looks and watch all your buddies pumping the hell out of it and it ain't hooked up to anything !!!!!

Good luck

Danno
Old 02-23-2011, 01:40 PM
RCISFUN

Hello Danno and thanks for the reply,

Yes I understand what you want me to remove; however, I think you might have missed the point of my post, with the internal components missing from the primer bulb it is the same as a piece of brass tubing connection the hoses (or is it?).

So the real question becomes why remove the bulb?

The bulb is in series with the vacuum source that drives the fuel pump; however, maybe the root cause is the bulb is diminishing the effect of the vacuum source to the pump because it can move, this may explain why your engine starts easier now with the bulb removed???

However the reason the bulb was originally installed was to be able to operate the vacuum fuel pump to get gas up to the fuel bowl, I don't see a easy solution to get gas up to the bowl if you run the carburetor bowl dry with the primer bulb removed.

I guess you will have the pull the starter cord many times to get the pump to pump the fuel back up to the bowl.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:32 PM
f106jax

Rich,

Last year, during the summer, I made the change that Danno suggested. Worked great.....in the warm weather. Last month, before a predicted ice storm [:'(], I thought that I'd get the generator up and running. It wouldn't start no matter how many times I pulled the cord. I re-connected the primer bulb, primed 60 times, and it started right up. The generator definitely knows when it's below freezing!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:57 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

I never saw this thread when it was originally posted but a few months back I pulled my Honeywell out of the garage to run it as it was sitting for at least three or four months with a full tank. I had fuel stabilizer in the fuel. Anyway it took a while but after priming the crap out of it, she started to pop. I just think it needs more priming than the instructions say. Especially when it's been sitting for a long time. JMO.

Marty
Old 02-23-2011, 04:03 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danno,

I've been thinking of getting a smaller gererator like the HW2000, or the Honda one that is similar.

I've seen/heard the small Hondas in use and they're SUPER quiet... is the Honeywell just as quiet??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.