Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Couple of accessory ideas - need feedback.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Couple of accessory ideas - need feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:20 PM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple of accessory ideas - need feedback.

I have recently had friend make a couple of ideas up that have been in my head for a while, finally tonight I have the prototypes here, one is a new concept the other a twist on an existing item.

First up is the 'Airlink Dock' (had to call it something!) Having found the components to make the connections I have made a slight change to the standard accessory and added a third ply part, this can be glued to the front of the large fuselage mounted ply plate housing the connectors to build the spacing up to make less of a job in making up the gap that occurs on some installs, in addition the connectors can be mixed so say 3mm for brakes and 4mm airlines for gear up/down - also if required the panel can be made to house say 5 connectors in either a single row or a double row to cover doors mounted in wings etc.

So useful or not? Modifications? Other improvements? Price?

Second is an 'Airtank Dock' (keeping the dock theme going as there is also an Air Trap Dock and JetCat ECU Dock already available) Its a simple very light device to allow air tanks to be secured in a frame which either glues or screws to the fuselage (options for both supplied) the tank simply snaps into the dock, the fit due to small rubber pads along the spine plate hold the tank without any need for straps, although a cable tie or velcro can be added if the user wishes and provision to use these items is also catered for in the design. I know the smaller jets always have issues with space so this item is more directed at the larger project where space is less of an issue. I will aim to make a range of end plates to suit the standard sized tanks in the market place.

Usefull or not? Would a 'double tank holder' version be viable? Best tank sizes for your projects? Improvements? Price?

Look forward to your comments, and if either are deemed worthy of manufacture I will bring it/them along to Jetpower.

Really appreciate your feedback

marcs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33563.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1470892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87715.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1470893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43499.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1470894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89796.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1470895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xj63255.jpg
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1470896  
Old 07-20-2010, 06:32 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: Couple of accessory ideas - need feedback.

I think both are great idea's. I would like to see an Airline and Wiring connector quick disconnect setup in one. Kinda like a multi-plex plug and the airline connectors you show all in one kit that can be "customized" for any number of airlines (and sizes) and servo/wire quantities.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:40 PM
marc s

Thomas, the concept is good.
I could make a plate with say 3-5 holes to accept the air connectors, then at one end make a hole to accept one of the multiplex connector holders, or two if required giving 4 servo connections. The multiplex connectors would probable be best supplied by the customer as soldering and connecting them is an art in itself ( the Powerbox ones are great for those who do not like to risk soldering). The only real design issue I see is making the plates so all the connectors engage fully when closed, due to the different heights of the components, allowances in the plate design will need to be made.

If you have time draw me a quick sketch...

marcs
Old 07-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

I've made similar 'airtank docks' out of wood etc in the past. Quite handy, but IMO it should have some 'ears' on at least one of the cradle parts, so that you can loop a small rubber band around them to keep the tank from moving.

Even more useful, would be one with an adjustable cradle (doesn't have to be complex) so that you can fairly easily adapt if e.g. you find you need more volume and hence a larger tank. The cradle doesn't have to fit neatly all the way around - just touch in the base and each side - so the changing radius of tank is not a problem if the sides can simply slide in & out slightly

Re the 'double tank' idea - that depends. I have between 2 and 4 tanks in various aircraft, but often the tanks are different sizes. e.g. I may have a large tank for retracts, a smaller tank for wheel brakes, and an even smaller one for airbrakes. So, unless the unit is size adjustable, a multi-tank unit may not be all that helpful.

Gordon
Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I like the Airtank dock. Looks like the mounting "tabs" could be sanded as necessary to match a curved surface, such as the inside radius of a fuselage.

The Airlink Dock looks a lot like the BV EZ-Air quick disconnect.

Craig

Name:	Ig11384.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1471013  
Old 07-21-2010, 01:22 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: marc s

Thomas, the concept is good.
I could make a plate with say 3-5 holes to accept the air connectors, then at one end make a hole to accept one of the multiplex connector holders, or two if required giving 4 servo connections. The multiplex connectors would probable be best supplied by the customer as soldering and connecting them is an art in itself ( the Powerbox ones are great for those who do not like to risk soldering). The only real design issue I see is making the plates so all the connectors engage fully when closed, due to the different heights of the components, allowances in the plate design will need to be made.

If you have time draw me a quick sketch...

marcs

funny we made this allready back in 2008 , little or no interest for those
we called them easyair , got flamed for it since it looked a bit BVM

Name:	Gd93655.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1471126  
Old 07-21-2010, 02:16 AM
marc s

it should have some 'ears' on at least one of the cradle parts, so that you can loop a small rubber band around them to keep the tank from moving.
Gordon, the tank can be held by a cable tie or velcro if required, this loops round the tank and through the central opening cut in the spine rail. I find rubber bands perish very quickly and all of a sudden one day the band has pinged off and buried itself in the fuselage - time for a FOD screen.
The tank in the dock does not move currently without any straps but user has the choice - appreciate the idea.

Even more useful, would be one with an adjustable cradle
It has been considered, and still might have mileage, currently the thought is to have a range of end plates to suit the three main tank sizes, so the user can select which he requires for the jobs involved. A 'one size fits all' would save manufacturing time but maybe as it needs to cater for the larger tank as a maximum it might be too cumbersome for those who require only smaller units. Nevertheless I will look into this idea - thanks for the input.

The Airlink Dock looks a lot like the BV EZ-Air quick disconnect.
Craig, yes it does, healthy competition with a more flexible option is the thought here, but if Sandor has tried and very little interest was registered maybe its not feasible, in its current form though it should be way more affordable, and even with the mods Invertmast suggested still likely to be very good value. Do remember also though that this unit will allow you to use 4mm or even 6mm OD tube for connections not just the 1/8 option offered by BVM EZ Airs, and with these big jets around 4mm is becoming far more common in gear retract units.

Great feedback, keep it coming.

marcs

Old 07-21-2010, 07:38 AM
invertmast

marc,
How about making the "large tank" mount an adjustable option that could fit not only a single large tank, but 2 smaller tanks as well. the side arms could be sort of "J" shaped to wrap around the tank, and the other side held in place by the mount w/ an adjustable slot in it.

as far as the quick disconnect. It would look similar to what sandor has shown, but could be ordered with any combination of fittings and maybe different connector style's. To make life even easier, maybe just include a template for the airline/connect parts so the owner can customize their own mounting board to their space/size requirements.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:07 AM
marc s

OK have an idea on the 'one size fits all' option, will get a prototype made and post some info.......

No one has mentioned price, be good to have an idea what would be realistic as it needs to satisfy you guys and me!

marcs
Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: marc s

OK have an idea on the 'one size fits all' option, will get a prototype made and post some info.......

No one has mentioned price, be good to have an idea what would be realistic as it needs to satisfy you guys and me!

marcs
hmm... $15/20
Old 07-22-2010, 02:57 AM
marc s

OK worth re-designing, will get back in a week or so with a new format.

marcs
Old 08-07-2010, 04:19 AM
marc s

OK have made a few more test items to see whats possible.

The idea of a one fits all is still in the brain crunching stage, and will still have its moment of glory, however in the meantime I am keen to pursue the clip to grip method so that no other security is required other than a cable tie if the owner feels its really necessary.
The original design suggested either gluing or screwing the dock down, gluing made the unit permanent and therefor the ends would suit only the tank size opted for when building. Screwing allowed the frame to be replaced, but as the ends were glued to the frame the unit would need to be replaced with a new one with different end sizes for the tank chosen.

So now this is the current direction of thought... the frames will come with a pre-drilled, neat ply base frame which the dock screws to, the ply frame is in turn glued or fitted to the jet in whichever way the builder requires. The dock screws to this ply plate for fixing, the ends have had the half slot tabs reversed so that rather than siding in from the top of the spine frame and gluing (original idea) they now slot in from the bottom of the spine frame, this means that when the unit is screwed to the ply plate the two ends are trapped in place and therefor do not need gluing. This allows the ends to be changed to suit different tanks simply by removing the dock (4 screws) removing the ends and slipping over new sized ends which can be bought as separate items.

This would also work if the dock was screwed to say a ply instrument panel or former, naturally the ply plate supplied would not be required. The only area where this does not allow flexibility is if the dock does require gluing to its mounting position - in this case the chosen air tank is the one you will have to keep!

I ran out of time last night on this so the ply plate will be made and tested shortly.

I have made a twin medium BVM air tank sized carrier, and a single one for the large tank option currently, let me know if another combo is likely to be a good option.

Keep comments coming, hopefully I will have some ready to take to Jetpower.

Please remember these Air Tank Docks are intended for the larger jets where space is less restrictive - small jets will still require the usual cram it in methods

marcs

Name:	Da83337.jpg
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1479324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27114.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1479325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54156.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1479326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51329.jpg
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1479327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pb35742.jpg
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1479328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz37465.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1479329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi85447.jpg
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1479330  
Old 08-16-2010, 02:33 AM
marc s

OK the latest update, the new re-designed UATD (Universal Air Tank Dock) is done and seems to fit the bill, just one cable tie or thin velcro strap secures any sized tank firmly in place. It is less bulky so takes up less space, and have made it lower so the tank sits closer to the mounting surface than the original designs.

Its not a 'designer' looking in my opinion bit it does tick the boxes. Any comment and feedback as usual would be greatly appreciated.

While I was fitting the servos to the SG Hawk a while ago it used the same type of system that the HT Modellbau PC21 adopted albeit a little more flexible. The SG hawk uses a pre-cut ply plate which is designed for a specific servo, a rebate is cut so the servo lies on its side and locates int othis cut out, then a glass board strap is screwed on top using bolts which screw into blind nuts under the ply plate. The fix is great, and removes the need to use those fiddly side holes on the servos - makes removal and fitting very easy - so I took this and added a few mods and came up with these plates today.

Not sure if they are useful to you guys, but where you have a servo and hatch to fit out these might be worth thinking about.

The changes I have made to the SG units is to add three 'glue seepage' holes either side on the plate to allow the fixing adhesive to ooze up through these holes to add some extra bite to the security. Then the glass strap was re-shaped. The original just straddled the servo case, but when you tightened the bolts at each end the plate bent in a shallow arc as it flexed a little, the plate we re-made is designed to locate along the mounting arms of the servo in addition to the case, this adds some extra support to the strap and helps prevent flexing when tightened up.

Its easy to make for most servos, so if its worth cutting a few let me know.

marcs

Name:	Us55287.jpg
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1484829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61094.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1484830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84437.jpg
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1484831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw64863.jpg
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1484832  
Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Marc

There are some very thin wings out there, so just a suggestion, if the mounting plate had a servo size cut out in it and the screws where c/snk this would reduce the overal height by the thickness of the mounting plate and the screw heads, I know the outer wing position servo mount for the Rookie would then be able to use one of these, just a thought.

Mike
Old 08-16-2010, 04:11 AM
marc s

Mike,

Interesting thought, my initial comment would be the problem gluing the plate in so no glue squeezed out from under the plate into the space the servo fits in as this would then prevent it sitting flush. Next is when you tighten the screws the servo will be pushing down on the wing skin, again not ideal. The plate in the pictures is milled out to leave a 3mm base plate thickness, this could easily be reduced to say 1.5 mm, especially as we would probably use aero grade ply which is very high quality - so this would result in the servo sitting say 2mm abouve the wing skin once a little epoxy is added.

The idea is more aimed at bigger jets, but your feedback is great and appreciate the input. Incidentally what servos are you looking to use in the Rookie?

marcs
Old 08-16-2010, 04:41 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I currently have 7955's in the Rookie as I tend the thow it around a lot and its got full vectored thrust in it, I do have another Rookie airframe that I am going to build up.

On the idea I had, I think if you just cut out what you have now to accomadate the servo and put a strengthening beam accross the front or just extended the whole plate the fixing would be no different to the present one, so it would not be pushing down onto the wing skin, once the plate is Hysoled into position it is an easy job to scrape out the glue which would squeze into the gap where the servo will sit.

Don't limit yourself to bigger jets, people with smaller jets asperations get bigger every day.

Mike

EDIT: Sorry re-read you post, Pushing down on the wing skin would be a problem, but that could be got over with a small pillar around the bolt.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:05 PM
marc s

3 & 5 way 'Qwik Air' connectors. These area similar to the BVM Ez-Air and use what I believe are the same couplings, however a there are a couple of design elements to make the system more useful, firstly you can use both 3mm or 4mm OD tube so catering for bigger retract systems that need larger air flow, and I have made a 5 way to cover the need to hook up a gear door if required as well.

The main additional feature is a lite ply plate which can be fixed to the main plate to provide a spacer to help reduce the amount of boxing out the area where the plate fits to allow the correct alignment.

marcs

Name:	Ge94586.jpg
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	1486677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89417.jpg
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1486678  
Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: digitech
funny we made this allready back in 2008 , little or no interest for those
we called them easyair , got flamed for it since it looked a bit BVM
That's what I need for my L-39! I'm trying to clean up this bird's nest of hoses and servo leads in the gear wells. I do have the BVM "EZ Air" kit, but haven't gotten the courage up to install it yet...the thought of getting it misaligned bothers me.