Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:19 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

If you plug both flap servo's into one Rx channel they will operate in the same direction therefore you need both servo's to be installed with the arms on the same side, this means one of the servo bodies will be towards the fus and the other will be towards the wing tip, this all means the captive nut for the ali rod has to be more outboard on one sub wing, Conversely if you have the flap servo's on seperate channels once one of them is revearsed................................I think you get the picture, I think it was all done so that those poor souls who use Spektrum or JR in the early days could use the seven channels they only had on their system.

Was that controversial, we need a devil smiley on here.

Mike[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 08-10-2010, 09:55 AM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect explanation!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 AM
Stobe777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

HereĀ“s some my Elan flying with a flycam:

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erb8OQ7PbCQ]Elan flying with a camera[/link]

Tuomas
Old 09-08-2010, 08:06 AM
petera38

Put the second flight on my Elan on Saturday.
I´m not real comfortable with it, kind of "nervous" airplane....needs your attention all the time!
When I came back home, I did another balancing. Noticed that it was rather noseheavy...C of G was in front of Alan´s 25 cm from the trailing edge.
Moved my reciever batteries (2 x LiPo) to the back of the tank...and put the C of G back to 24 cm from the T.E.

Now it´s interesting to see if that helped...?

/Pete
Old 09-08-2010, 08:35 AM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

I have put on 5 flights since completing the Ɖlan and mine is also slightly nose heavy. She still flies fine, hhowever. I do not want to relocate two receiver packs, although it might help with high alpha landings! It flies great. Try backing off the throttle for more docile flying.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:50 AM
petera38

I´ve only got my Boomerang Sprint to compare with. The Sprint was a very stable platform, which flew- when trimmed out"-hands off!
The Elan, however feels different in a "nervous" way.
Compared with a flying buddy in Denmark, who´s also flying an Elan. He said that he flew with the C of G 23,5 cm from the T.E. and that felt good! Noseheavy the Elan didn´t fly that well, was his opinion.
Since my reciever packs are LiPo´s they are not permanently installed in the nose. I prefer to charge them outside the fuse...just in case. So moving them aft didn´t represent any problems.

/Pete
Old 09-08-2010, 12:51 PM
BaldEagel

I ended up with two A123's under the tank and a three cell A123 between the wheel wells and no UAT to get the C of G where I wanted it, but it still dropped its nose in turns and needed down elevator inverted, I don't know where the C of G ended up, but it was way back from the original in the instructions.

In its flying condition, but empty of fuel putting the Elan back on its tail it would stay there, but with the slightest bit of a nudge it would go back onto its nose wheel, any further back and it got a bit elevator sensitive, this does not necessarily mean this is the definitive position, but is where I preferred it to be, please feel free to discuss this further everyone.

Mike
Old 09-08-2010, 03:03 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This has all been discussed before, cg is exactly on main gear down, full uat empty tank, end of.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 AM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Hey Guys,
I am now building me second Elan (new version)
The last Elan I build while setting the CG it was nose heavy. I had to add weight to the rear.
I am trying not to add useless weight to set the CG
Should I favor the front or the back while installing the batteries, fuel pump,smoke pump,,,,ETC???
I am hoping that while installing the RX battery and the ECU battery, I will just have to ajust the location of the batteries to set the CG

Thanks Guys

Hoss
Old 12-01-2010, 03:32 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

I ended up with two A123's under the tank and a three cell A123 between the wheel wells and no UAT to get the C of G where I wanted it, but it still dropped its nose in turns and needed down elevator inverted, I don't know where the C of G ended up, but it was way back from the original in the instructions.

In its flying condition, but empty of fuel putting the Elan back on its tail it would stay there, but with the slightest bit of a nudge it would go back onto its nose wheel, any further back and it got a bit elevator sensitive, this does not necessarily mean this is the definitive position, but is where I preferred it to be, please feel free to discuss this further everyone.

Mike
Do you guys ever read the thread, even two posts back would have helped answer your question, no wonder you get statements like madmodelman made "end of" and the occasional "period" from the US contributors, I wonder if the US guys who use the expresion know what a "period" in the UK is, I don't think so. LOL as a hint its close too Fanny Packs.

Mike
Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Hi Hoss:

Give Dave Elsinger a call about CG and equiptment position. He, Bob Schultheis, and Marv Ingerson have more flights on their Elans than anyone I know of round here........probably 600-700+......

Tom

Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 PM
BoomerSooner
My Feedback: (80)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know what improvements/changes have been made it the latest run of kits? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one
Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 PM
gooseF22

I love the elan... but almost all of the questions above are answered in the other build thread. we have been down this road already. spend a 12pack and a couple of nights and you are ready to build.. with emphasis onthe 12pack.

I fought that thing getting the tanks in, the radio tray the extra tray, the fuel tray the AD on the tank mounts, the flap servos, the servo mounts, the gear install, the CG, the Stab incidence...... Its all there..
Old 01-25-2011, 06:06 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: Lil Hoss

Hey Guys,
I am now building me second Elan (new version)
The last Elan I build while setting the CG it was nose heavy. I had to add weight to the rear.
I am trying not to add useless weight to set the CG
Should I favor the front or the back while installing the batteries, fuel pump,smoke pump,,,,ETC???
I am hoping that while installing the RX battery and the ECU battery, I will just have to ajust the location of the batteries to set the CG

Thanks Guys

Hoss
depends on the motor weight!!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 PM
BoomerSooner

I've read the full Ć©lan build thread and this one plus the manual. One thing I'm trying to figure out is what exactly holds the wing on? It looks as if the wing bolts just pinch the wing pins and don't actually penetrate the wingpin to lock the wing in place. Am I correct? Doesnt seem like much keeping a wing panel on if so. Are some people modifying this if so?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

I actually drilled through the front anti-rotation pins and tapped for 4/40. The rear bolts were left so they just pinched the pin.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:07 PM
BoomerSooner

Yeah I saw you had done that on yours but it didn't seem like many others did. Or if they did they didn't talk about it. Just wondering if there were others that thought that could be a weak link
Old 01-25-2011, 07:50 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: BoomerSooner

I've read the full Ć©lan build thread and this one plus the manual. One thing I'm trying to figure out is what exactly holds the wing on? It looks as if the wing bolts just pinch the wing pins and don't actually penetrate the wingpin to lock the wing in place. Am I correct? Doesnt seem like much keeping a wing panel on if so. Are some people modifying this if so?
The screws just pinch against the alum dowels. its quite effective. I did not feel the need to drill them. they never let loose.. some guys did drill, but I never saw the need. I never saw a wing panel slip in 150 flights
Old 02-03-2011, 03:41 PM
buz914

I have a question, keep in mind I am new to complex models.

I am installing the pull cables for the nose steering to the servo.

* I am assuming the cables needs to be somewhat tight with gear down so that there is no play. I guess it is ok that they rub on the wood where they go through the hole?

* When I retract the gear with my hand pump it sometimes jambs the metal clevis attached to the nosewheel on the wood mount, also when retracted the the clevises are pointing "up" and the cables are bent 90 degrees and a little tight.

Does anyone have any photos of there cables at the nosewheel when retracted?

Thanks

Buz
Old 02-03-2011, 05:38 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: buz914

I have a question, keep in mind I am new to complex models.

I am installing the pull cables for the nose steering to the servo.

* I am assuming the cables needs to be somewhat tight with gear down so that there is no play. I guess it is ok that they rub on the wood where they go through the hole?

* When I retract the gear with my hand pump it sometimes jambs the metal clevis attached to the nosewheel on the wood mount, also when retracted the the clevises are pointing ''up'' and the cables are bent 90 degrees and a little tight.

Does anyone have any photos of there cables at the nosewheel when retracted?

Thanks

Buz
Use the clevis on the servo arm, not the tiller! Just loop the cable through the tiller and crimp. All your problems will disappear
Old 02-03-2011, 05:50 PM
buz914

Thanks Todd!

That makes a lot more sense. Now I won't have to call you tomorrow.

Your gear kit came with 4 clevises, so I used them!

Thanks again

Buz
Old 02-04-2011, 01:13 AM
BaldEagel

Also buz leave a bit of slack in the cables to ensure the nose wheel extends, if too tight they can stop the gear from locking down.

Mike
Old 02-05-2011, 01:58 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: petera38

Put the second flight on my Elan on Saturday.
IĀ“m not real comfortable with it, kind of ''nervous'' airplane....needs your attention all the time!
When I came back home, I did another balancing. Noticed that it was rather noseheavy...C of G was in front of AlanĀ“s 25 cm from the trailing edge.
Moved my reciever batteries (2 x LiPo) to the back of the tank...and put the C of G back to 24 cm from the T.E.

Now itĀ“s interesting to see if that helped...?[img][/img]

/Pete
Pete, it should sit on its tail by itself when its at landing fuel. It will make all the difference.. I dont remember the numbers but the nose has to be light or its hard to land. You should be able to wheelie down the runway after landing. You may end up putting a washer under the back mount on the tail as well for incidence. that was all the adjustments I made other than a tad of down thrust. If its nervous, then slow down the controls.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:41 AM
petera38

Hi Goose,

Yeah ..I remember you wrote that earlier in this thread...or perhaps it was another thread. They pop up like mushrooms these Elan threads, and lots of questions about C of G.

/Pete

Old 02-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

I was lucky enough to test fly two Elans today, from the last batch of kits made. Different turbine set-ups P-80SE and P-120SX and both pre set with a rearward balance point from the start based on experience with the type. Both flew great, but required a lot of up trim-more than I'd expect. We decided to pack one of the models tail using 1mm washers between the fin top and tailplane mounting plate, on the rear screws only. Elevator trim was then centred.
Anyone about to test a newish Elan be prepared for some up trim. Its within the elevator trim range so can easily be dealt with.
Other than than they were two nice aeroplanes.

Dw
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hf98169.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	1562303   Click image for larger version

Name:	vt57876.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	375.4 KB
ID:	1562304   Click image for larger version

Name:	zx71685.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	466.8 KB
ID:	1562305   Click image for larger version

Name:	wu59725.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	507.2 KB
ID:	1562306   Click image for larger version

Name:	vq52446.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	471.7 KB
ID:	1562307   Click image for larger version

Name:	jh16917.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	1562308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65016.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1562309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81298.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1562310  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.